Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: What do the Packers get for Aaron Rodgers?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaire View Post
    Andrew Brandt just tweeted that he thought AR's interview shifted leverage to GB. He's put the Jets in a spot where they now have to get the deal done (even more than before). GB can wait... and wait... and wait. Pressure will be on Jets. Should be interesting.

Also, as I heard AR, the sticking point seems to be about how much of AR's contract Green Bay will eat.
    The way it stands, it’s a 4 year, 36M per year deal to whoever takes him. It’s not a bad deal.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    The way it stands, it’s a 4 year, 36M per year deal to whoever takes him. It’s not a bad deal.
    It's a one year deal (max two), 60 million per year. You're looking at the payment spread out, but what really matters is cash cost.

edit: I believe Woody Johnson already publicly offered first round picks (without consulting JD, lol). I'm guessing it's the money more than picks. But we'll see how it shakes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Fosco33 View Post
    2nd and a 4th
    That would work for me at this point.

Git'r done.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

It's a one year deal (max two), 60 million per year. You're looking at the payment spread out, but what really matters is cash cost.
    If he retires, prorated parts of the bonus don’t count against the cap. I don’t think they’re as worried about giving away a few million dollars if it doesn’t count on the cap. They have it.

lol. Rich Eisen is publicly negotiating for Jets. Rodgers, I definitely noticed, was doing some public negotiating too on the Pat Mac show. We'll see who blinks

edit: I believe Woody Johnson already publicly offered first round picks (without consulting JD, lol). I'm guessing it's the money more than picks. But we'll see how it shakes out.
    60M year 1
    47M year 2

It’s risky business. Rodgers will either have a fire lit inside him or he’ll fall further into hippyville. I wouldn’t do it, but they seem willing.

On over the cap it shows post june 1 cap savings of 8million. I hope we don't have to listen to this that long
    All tyrannies rule through fraud and force, but once the fraud is exposed they must rely exclusively on force.

George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth View Post
    On over the cap it shows post june 1 cap savings of 8million. I hope we don't have to listen to this that long
    They, The Packers, would be foolish to let it slide past this draft. Besides, the Jets owner WANTS RODGERS BAD! It will happen and the JETS will pay. At some point Woody Johnson will tell Douglas to make it happen. Would I give up a first for a guy who might only play 1 year ? NFW

But the beauty of this whole situation is the Jets only other option is Lamar Jackson and that path requires a ton of guaranteed money and 2 firsts for a guy who has issues staying healthy.

I'd take a 2023 R2, R4 and a conditional 2024 R2 that becomes a R1 if Rodgers is MVP or NYJ win the SB, but voids if neither happens AND he retires after 2023.
    You're trading the contract more than the player at this point.

I know people are talking about Stafford or R.Wilson levels of comp, but given he could retire at any point and his contract has so much guaranteed cash (and the NYJ cap situation) there has to be some compromises made.

I wouldn't trade Rodgers for a single R2 (or lower) pick, that's basically like if someone else tries to sign Yosh Njiman. Throw in a bunch of conditionals on the picks to protect each side.

Agree the NYJ don't have a lot of leverage and will be motivated to get this done. I highly doubt Woody Johnson is going to give everyone the middle finger and go sign Matt Ryan or Marcus Mariota at this point.

Anything less than a Herschel Walker type trade - at least three first rounders and more besides, and this is a bonehead stupid move by Gutekunst - flushing the team down the drain for his own ego. Even all that wouldn't satisfy me, and of course, they're not gonna get that much in trade. Even though the Packers would seem to have most of the leverage, ultimately they probably fuck up this aspect of the situation too and get crap like some of ya'all are pathetically ready to be satisfied with.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

I don't see why everyone thinks the Packers have leverage. They *want Rodgers out of the building* for sure. They definitely do not want him coming to training camp, etc. I don't really think they have any leverage. That said I think it should be easy to hammer out a trade for an R2 and call it a day. There is no need to be a dingle berry, the proper thing to do would be to cut Rodgers loose like the Colts did Manning.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    I don't see why everyone thinks the Packers have leverage. They *want Rodgers out of the building* for sure. They definitely do not want him coming to training camp, etc. I don't really think they have any leverage. That said I think it should be easy to hammer out a trade for an R2 and call it a day. There is no need to be a dingle berry, the proper thing to do would be to cut Rodgers loose like the Colts did Manning.
    Packers have some leverage because they're in no hurry as long as the trade happens before the draft. The Jets and their fans on the other hand want their new QB in the building. The sooner Rodgers is a Jet the sooner they can start selling Rodgers jerseys.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    I'd take a 2023 R2, R4 and a conditional 2024 R2 that becomes a R1 if Rodgers is MVP or NYJ win the SB, but voids if neither happens AND he retires after 2023.
    You're trading the contract more than the player at this point.

I know people are talking about Stafford or R.Wilson levels of comp, but given he could retire at any point and his contract has so much guaranteed cash (and the NYJ cap situation) there has to be some compromises made.

I wouldn't trade Rodgers for a single R2 (or lower) pick, that's basically like if someone else tries to sign Yosh Njiman. Throw in a bunch of conditionals on the picks to protect each side.

Agree the NYJ don't have a lot of leverage and will be motivated to get this done. I highly doubt Woody Johnson is going to give everyone the middle finger and go sign Matt Ryan or Marcus Mariota at this point.
    100%.

And I think it’ll happen on 6/1 and those are 2024 picks unless AR restructures so we don’t take the cap hit.

Would an immediate cap hit and another rd2 really be ‘worth’ it? What’s our exposure if he retires?

So at this point in time, Tex can channel his inner Monte Python and say "I'm not dead yet".
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Meanwhile I'll channel my inner Annie Savoy and say "JH musta called him a cocksucker" Anyone?? Annie Savoy? She is the inspiration of all my Fantasy baseball teams names. "Annie Savoy's Boy Toys"
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Meanwhile I'll channel my inner Annie Savoy and say "JH musta called him a cocksucker" Anyone?? Annie Savoy? She is the inspiration of all my Fantasy baseball teams names. "Annie Savoy's Boy Toys"
    That's a good name for a Fantasy BB team

I do think GB has more leverage than NYJ:

A chunk of their fan base actively wants Woody Johnson to sell the team
    Robert Saleh/Joe Douglas have a 11-23 record together and Zach Wilson as their QB. Their seats are warming up.
    All this offseason cocktease with AR basically has set expectations with the fanbase
    AR flat out says he wants to be a Jet

All those factors put a lot of pressure to get a deal done. If they don't they look incompetent.

GB will want to trade him before the draft, if they can't agree they also look stupid and greedy, and if there's anything GB hates it's bad PR of any kind. They are under some pressure as well but not as much.

If Rodgers isn't traded and retires before June 1 he counts $40M against the cap - same as if traded. If he retires after June 1 they can split across seasons... again, I believe that is same as if traded after June 1. As mentioned I think they get a deal done before the draft; they will want to exercise the 5th year option on Love in early May and they don't have the cap room for all this shenanigans.

It's possible Rodgers restructures his contract, but I doubt it. I think he's trying to keep things amicable but there are some hurt feelings and he's not likely to go out of his way to do GB any favors.

I'd like to see GB get as much as they can for Rodgers -- he's one of the all-time great Packers and he still has something in the tank. He'll certainly feel like he has something to prove. I'm not confident they'll pry away this year's R1 pick from the Jets, but I do think GB needs multiple picks and the more young talent they can accumulate around Jordan Love the better. If the future starts now, they better get to building it.

I still think we get a 1 & a 2, I would be fine with the 1 next year. The Packers can wait as the money doesn't really effect the club this year. Giving Love the 5th year option does not effect the cap this year. The JETS are under pressure to get Rodgers in the building I would think, they saw what happen last year as did all of us, Rodgers will need time with the new wide outs or he'll have similar results as our losing record last year. My 2 cents

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...pdate-leverage

ACME seems to think the Packers have the Jest by the balls. I do not agree. Sure, the Jets are screwed if they can't get Arod, but the Packers are screwed, too. Imagine if they can't get the trade done before the draft. Rodgers starts saying well, if he's not going to be traded, he'd like to come to camp in Green Bay. Meantime, the Packers need to pick up that fifth year option on Love in early May, and now they've got Arod echoing Brett Favre back when. That creates a financial mess - watcha going to do with two super-expensive QB's? Then there's the shitshow of Rodgers threatening to show up to camp.

I think there is significant pressure on GB to get this done.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    So at this point in time, Tex can channel his inner Monte Python and say "I'm not dead yet".
    LOL… I feel fine..