Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: What do the Packers get for Aaron Rodgers?

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...pdate-leverage

ACME seems to think the Packers have the Jest by the balls. I do not agree. Sure, the Jets are screwed if they can't get Arod, but the Packers are screwed, too. Imagine if they can't get the trade done before the draft. Rodgers starts saying well, if he's not going to be traded, he'd like to come to camp in Green Bay. Meantime, the Packers need to pick up that fifth year option on Love in early May, and now they've got Arod echoing Brett Favre back when. That creates a financial mess - watcha going to do with two super-expensive QB's? Then there's the shitshow of Rodgers threatening to show up to camp.

I think there is significant pressure on GB to get this done.

well if we can somehow drag this out to june 1st it might be really good for us

2nd round picks dont excite me at all, hold firm for that first. come draft day after the top 4 QBs are gone before the jets pick and there is nothing left on the market, they'll be crawling to us

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    HAve you thought about shopping Red to a Jets forum?
    They actually signed him as a UFA. He was one of four posters Tex asked for if he was going to agree to a trade.

The strange thing is - wouldn’t a player want to be traded for the least amount of picks? Ie - more picks taken from your future team hurts your future team.

If the packers fuck around too long - AR may just go public and ask to be cut.

I think that Guter needs to remember that part of the compensation will be peace of mind for the Packers.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I can't figure how I see we have leverage. We have cap issues and an incumbent qb the coaching and management side likes who will walk if we dont play him.

The whole nfl world knows this. Jets fans are gonna jet with or without 12.

Maximize cap help and take scraps imo.
    All tyrannies rule through fraud and force, but once the fraud is exposed they must rely exclusively on force.

George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth View Post
    I can't figure how I see we have leverage. We have cap issues and an incumbent qb the coaching and management side likes who will walk if we dont play him.

Both teams need this to go through, the Packers just aren't in a hurry at all.

Obviously, the Packers would be better off on the now slim thread of hope that it does not go through. Gutekunst even said before the Rodgers thing on Macafee that if things fell through, Rodgers could be back as the Packers QB. THAT - obviously - is the best case scenario, albeit extremely unlikely. Anybody thinking otherwise is bonehead stupid.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

This is the only correct take.

Jets want Rodgers. Packers need to unload Rodgers. The problem was magnified on youtube by AR's interview with the guy in the wife-beater shirt.

This is the only correct take.

Jets want Rodgers. Packers need to unload Rodgers. The problem was magnified on youtube by AR's interview with the guy in the wife-beater shirt.
    If they had no leverage, the deal would be done.

Packers have some temporary leverage because they're fine for now with the status quo. They have their QB. The Jets don't. There are 6 weeks to go until the draft. Packers can afford to wait and see if the Jets will cave to pressure from fans, press and players to make the trade.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Packers have some temporary leverage because they're fine for now with the status quo. They have their QB.
    There is a 0% chance that management will put their hand back on the hot stove burner.

There is a 0% chance that management will put their hand back on the hot stove burner.
    I'm not saying that. Just that there's nothing right now to force the Packers to be in a hurry. Not until we get close to the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I'm not saying that. Just that there's nothing right now to force the Packers to be in a hurry. Not until we get close to the draft.
    Yes. The leverage is in getting the deal done sooner, something that might benefit the Jets, but doesn't really matter to the Packers.

Andrew Brandt
    @AndrewBrandt

Some Jets-Packers trade stuff has gone off the rails.
    Some suggesting Aaron would force Packers hand by showing up at OTAs. Please.
    People, this will be resolved long before that, probably within a week or two.
    GB may not get much, but will be more than was offered last week.

Blog Entries
    Wilde and Tausch had some really interesting segments on this. Some points of emphasis.

The Pebble Beach comments about Rodgers flirting with the Raiders and others most likely really rubbed GB the wrong way
    Mark Murphy was a major F'ck up by saying what he said in that interview
    Rodgers likely did not take that well

GB most likely wants a 1st and future 2nd
    Jets offering a 3rd or a 2nd if GB will eat some salary.
    They'll end of meeting in the middle somehow.

GB would be smart to wait and be patient. It's not the end of the world if we get our 1st next year in addition to another pick. They are unsure if we can swipe #13
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I agree Mark Murphy really F’d up making those comments. He has a big mouth and says a lot of stupid shit for someone in his role.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    I agree Mark Murphy really F’d up making those comments. He has a big mouth and says a lot of stupid shit for someone in his role.
    I agree - that was stupid, awkward, and uncalled for.

At the same time, Joe made a good point to me the other day. I'd said that Rodgers said on McAfee that he was leaning toward retirement but surprise surprise after he left his darkenss retreat he had players telling him the Packers were shopping him, and of course Rodgers painted a picture of someone who was surprised and saddened and betrayed by this.

Yet he was teasing out which fans were cheering loudest for a trade when he was in that golf tournament, which I believe was before his retreat. So his whole thing about feeling betrayed, that "something changed" with the Packer managment while he was in his retreat is, well, utter bullshit.

So I will, at this point, be glad when the trade is completed, Rodgers can become a Jet, and I only will wonder about him if there is a draft pick tied up in how well he plays for the Jets or how well they do.

I'll be ready to move on to talking about how the Green Bay rebuild is going. Though "rebuild" for a team that continues to kick the can down the road (more void years! More! This time Rasul Douglas) is an odd word. I don't know if they know what the fuck they're doing.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I agree Fritz.

Rodgers is just as much to blame in the whole “divorce” as Packers brass is. To try and frame this as a “woe is me” situation really comes off all wrong. Both sides have made numerous mistakes during the past few years as the team tried to manage the final years of a HOF QB career, which normally goes off the rails at some point. It happened for Brady. It happened for Manning. It happened for Favre. It happened for Montana. The list goes on and on.

In terms of getting the deal done, I’m not sure the Packers have any way to truly gain leverage. However, as others have pointed out, the Packers are also in no rush. They don’t HAVE to make a deal, and the truth is that if they make a deal later in the off-season, it actually would benefit them. The fact is that the Jets stand to only lose leverage as time goes on. So the Jets may be right in saying compensation right now should be minimal. If the Packers had to act now, the Jets would stand to gain. However, the Packers do not have to act, and the eventual cost to the Jets will move higher and higher as we move closer to next season and they do not have a QB on their roster that they feel they can win with. It is basically a game of chicken at this point. The Packers are the train with 2 QBs. The Jets are on their bike heading toward the train with 0 QBs. In the end, the Jets are going to have to swerve, or face severe media/fan backlash.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

The Packers cap benefits by the trade happening after June 1. The jets are in no position to have Rodgers miss minicamps. The less work he gets with his new team, the less impact he will have.

That is why the Packers have the leverage.

Everyone thinks if Rodgers comes back they are screwed. If they make the QB an open competition, Rodgers won't want to be back. Would Rodgers even take the chance on being a backup his last year. No way his ego let's that happen.

It's not a divorce until the legalities (the trade) are done. There could/should still be some counseling, and things could get back to fine, it which case the team would be infinitely better off. I say again, I don't expect that, but it's just a glimmer of hope - the Packers' chances clinging to the rim as they are about to go down the toilet.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?