Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: QB experts, do Love’s fundamentals look better?

QB experts, do Love’s fundamentals look better?

Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

They said his left foot was coming down without great balance so his accuracy was affected. Sounds like he’s working on that. What about the throwing motion? Is that more compact?

Rodgers has said a few times he takes time to really hone in on one or two things. Im sure Jordan would have listened to coaches and gotten better, but it can’t hurt to have an all time great tell you to spend a lot of time just engraining one or two things at a time and slowly build your foundation like that.

His release is definitely quicker. He had a tendency to get hit as we was throwing in 2021 due in part to a slower release. It resulted in him getting an injured shoulder in the 1st preseason game. The quicker release combined with him processing things mentally faster makes him very different from the guy we saw in 2020-21.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    His release is definitely quicker. He had a tendency to get hit as we was throwing in 2021 due in part to a slower release. It resulted in him getting an injured shoulder in the 1st preseason game. The quicker release combined with him processing things mentally faster makes him very different from the guy we saw in 2020-21.
    Rodgers looks effortless in how he unleashes with that little hop motion where he’s just instantly spinning it. I wouldn’t say Love looks like that when he throws now, but he’s grown in that direction. He looks impressive the way he’s generating all that power in a fairly quick motion.

Who knows. These guys are impressive athletes. It’s hard for me to know if one guy is better than the next because they all look good to me.

I liked the way Rodgers style looked easier to get off when he was falling away or had to instantly get one off. Love’s looks a little more conventional. But Brady always looked really conventional and he’s been an all time great.

Peyton Manning, Phil Rivers and Drew Bree had little stutter steps and sort of slinged it in rhythm with those. Like
    The small steps helped them stay balanced and didn’t take a lot of time so they could throw it when the time came.

I’ve seen guys do it different ways. Love seems to be trying to model Brady more than Rodgers or the shuffle step guys. I guess whatever feels natural to you and works.

I just saw something from Rob Reischel about how the Packers really think he can be a great starter. If that's the case, there's no choice but to find out. Good starter? Maybe not, but a top 5-6 QB, yeah you've gotta kick the tires on that one and hope to get your 15 years before the inevitable one way ticket to the Big Apple.

Yes, Love's fundamentals have improved. Rodgers had horrible fundamentals and fixed those, it can be done. Rodgers has a crazy arm so he can get away with a lot most QB can't or shouldn't.

Love's mobility isn't bad, his arm strength is fine, he can go to a 2nd or 3rd read, and his footwork is better than it was. He doesn't get flustered easily, his body language is generally good. Keeps his eyes downfield, doesn't scream like Brady.
    Love will need to work on manipulating coverage with his eyes, and also reading coverages -- same as any young QB, but he's shown improvement from his college tape. His playing time last year showed an improvement over the previous year.

I think if MLF is anywhere as good as some think he should be able to coax some "good enough" QB play out of Jordan Love. The Shanahan offense is supposed to be QB friendly.
    I am skeptical he's a top 5 QB, but I think he could have a few very good years, especially if surrounded with good skill players & scheme. If they can manage a passable defense they could even make some noise in a bad NFC. I'd rather have his contract (including the 5th year option) than Derek Carr's.

I cant not comment on fundamentals, but I can comment on how great it is to see Jones, Watson and Doubs working out together in Cali. Need to fly Rolle in there as Toure in there as well.

I remember seeing a cut up of two qbs throwing side by side years ago. I believe it was Tebow and Brady. The wind up and release was a stark stark difference. I dont care too much about technique (i cant see it one way or another) but a slow release is a death blow. How fast does Love's Release look compared to other elite qbs?
    Last edited by Upnorth; 03-22-2023 at 02:51 PM.
    All tyrannies rule through fraud and force, but once the fraud is exposed they must rely exclusively on force.

George Orwell

His release isn't the quickest, and it still is a little elongated but it's better than it was. I think it's quick enough but could be improved. Would be very interesting to see a side by side of AR and JL. Might have to dig some up.

Meanwhile, here are JL's throws vs. PHI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkIONmDiN4E
    You can see he's more polished with feet and delivery. There are things MLF can work with but I'm not sure he'll be elite.

Edit: here's from the NO preseason game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w8x2wGNCoc
    Granted it's preseason but he's not awful. Is he good though? I need more data lol.
    Gute and MLF have seen enough to be ok going forward with him.

Edit2: here's preseason the year before(2021): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrOgoOQ148w
    he looks more polished in the NO game.
    Last edited by run pMc; 03-22-2023 at 05:02 PM.

I see the biggest difference from between the 2021 tape to the eagles. He seems more comfortable with his feet.

The latest workout tapes he looks more controlled after delivery. He used to spin around after the throw and he unbalanced where now he looks balanced. But that’s with no one rushing him.

It looks like his release speeded up a little, but after watching Rodgers, it seems a tick slow for sure.

I watched a video where they broke frames way down and compared Rodgers to Marino. They’re about equal with release.

Watched some Marino highlights. Different from Rodgers in that Rodgers really exaggerated that little hop thing, but similar in that they look like they’re throwing darts more than winding up and throwing a football.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    In the Eagles game Love appeared taller and stronger in the pocket and was decisive in his throws. I don’t give a damn what you say everyone caught the passes he threw when we saw him last season. His passes actually looked smooth and catchable. Hitting guys in stride for easy YAC Maybe I am biased and imagined it that way but the rest of you fucks didn’t imagine it that way too?

Where Harlan in this subject?

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    I see the biggest difference from between the 2021 tape to the eagles. He seems more comfortable with his feet.

The latest workout tapes he looks more controlled after delivery. He used to spin around after the throw and he unbalanced where now he looks balanced. But that’s with no one rushing him.

It looks like his release speeded up a little, but after watching Rodgers, it seems a tick slow for sure.
    If you're going to compare his release to that of Rodgers, it's going to look a bit slow. But you can probably say the same thing about every other QB in the NFL.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

One area that Love still needs to work on is the eye-roll. But I think that comes with experience and confidence.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

His work with Tom Clements is paying off. Clements is an incredible QB coach. A former CFL qb, he knows how to talk "qb". Is it any coincidence that the arrival of Clements coincides with the progress Love has made with his footwork and carriage.

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/packer...ordan-love-118

"It's the things we've worked on the most, which is footwork, the proper drop, going through your progression, not getting stuck on a receiver, not being late with the ball," Clements said of Love after his appearance against the Philadelphia Eagles. "We work on different route concepts each week, we did a lot in the spring, but then you have to see it play out when you have a defense out there. You have to be able to go from 1-2-3 to your outlet quickly, and you can't lock on a guy. You have to process information quickly, figure out where to go, and your footwork plays into that as well. If your feet are right, and you're seeing things right, you're able to decide where to go with the ball. His footwork, rhythm and getting the ball off on time is where he's gotten a lot better.”

Clements was a good hire. Was a little surprised he came back this year, but am glad he did. I think he's important in JL's development, he certainly helped AR.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    I 100% hope I am wrong but man Love just doesn't look good when he plays, again I hope he is a top 10 QB, hell I hope he is the best QB to play for the Pack I just do not see it.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    I watched a video where they broke frames way down and compared Rodgers to Marino. They’re about equal with release.
    Considering I always thought Marino was on another level to everyone else ever then love will be slower than 12 by default.
    All tyrannies rule through fraud and force, but once the fraud is exposed they must rely exclusively on force.

George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    One area that Love still needs to work on is the eye-roll. But I think that comes with experience and confidence.
    LMFAO!!!!