Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: QB experts, do Love’s fundamentals look better?

Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth View Post
    Considering I always thought Marino was on another level to everyone else ever then love will be slower than 12 by default.
    Yeah. They broke the frames way down. The guy said he was hearing Marino was the quickest ever and wanted to compare. It was dead equal. Rodgers might have been a hair quicker.

Both guys look like they’re throwing darts.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Clements was a good hire. Was a little surprised he came back this year, but am glad he did. I think he's important in JL's development, he certainly helped AR.
    One more reason to be optimistic about Love. I don't think he's be back if he thought Love was a hopeless cause.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

i'd like to see a QB run lefluers system and actually allow jones and dillon to run the ball more then rodgers allowed them to

a QB that hits the easy wide open throw over the middle instead of always trying for the low percentage ball deep along the sideline

the one small chance that rodgers allowed love to take the field this year, we saw that.

i think theres a reason that rodgers didn't take anymore snaps off after we all saw that love looked half way decent. if rodgers was that scared, then maybe we should all have some hope

I'm with ya on that, Red. I'm actually excited to see a QB run LeFleur's system, see how it actually looks in action. As in the latter MM years, I think Rodgers bent the offensive system to his will, so I don't think we've really seen what a pure LeFleur system will look like.

I'm also excited by the possibility that the Packers won't end every half with only one timeout because they used them up waiting til the last second every play to get the play off. Very exciting. Maybe even occasionally run the hurry-up and try to put the other team's defense on its heels.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

If your tendency on 3rd and short is to never take deep shots, defenses can dial in and stop you more consistently. Rodgers Packers were unpredictable on 3rd and short so the defense had to cover the whole field. Those shots help in other ways.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    If your tendency on 3rd and short is to never take deep shots, defenses can dial in and stop you more consistently. Rodgers Packers were unpredictable on 3rd and short so the defense had to cover the whole field. Those shots help in other ways.
    True, but you don’t have to run the deep route on 3rd and short every single time. And you don’t always have to throw to the deep guy every time when you have 3 other guys open short but past the marker

If you want to go deep on the first 3rd and short of the game, fine. Wanna do it the second time, cool. If you want to do it late in the game when we just need a drive to eat up clock or to give the defense a breather, not such a good time

Who knew you could utilize speed in the middle of the field like this?

Is that Love or a blown coverage though? My understanding is Aaron doesn't throw over the middle often but I would be shocked if he wouldn't make that throw.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Is that Love or a blown coverage though? My understanding is Aaron doesn't throw over the middle often but I would be shocked if he wouldn't make that throw.
    It's called getting rid of the ball quickly and in rhythm so the receiver has a chance to make a move before the defender is on him. Something Rodgers didn't do enough of in recent years, especially last year.

Joe, you've been a bad boy. The NFL has blocked your video. Be ready for some goombas with vinyl jackets featuring The Shield to come knocking on your door some night soon.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Seriously, you are asking this question. ARod has been completely averse to throwing over the middle. I can't count how many times in the game day thread people commented on the WR, RB, TE running across the middle wide open at the 1st down marker and ARod going for the 20 yard sideline throw instead.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Seriously, you are asking this question. ARod has been completely averse to throwing over the middle. I can't count how many times in the game day thread people commented on the WR, RB, TE running across the middle wide open at the 1st down marker and ARod going for the 20 yard sideline throw instead.
    Sure, no doubt he doesn't always do it. But this throw to 9 was wide open, it's not like Rodgers _never_ does it. I have little doubt Rodgers would have made this throw.

This data driven read implies he throws over the middle on ~25% of throws, which is much lower than the league leaders at ~50%

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/b...selection-2019

Sure, no doubt he doesn't always do it. But this throw to 9 was wide open, it's not like Rodgers _never_ does it. I have little doubt Rodgers would have made this throw.

This data driven read implies he throws over the middle on ~25% of throws, which is much lower than the league leaders at ~50%

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/b...selection-2019
    Given that, I suppose if you're an opposing team's DC, you'd edge your coverage over to the sidelines, figuring unless someone was running wide, wide open over the middle, Arod wasn't going to go there. Makes Adams's over-the-back-shoulder grabs even more amazing.

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Given that, I suppose if you're an opposing team's DC, you'd edge your coverage over to the sidelines, figuring unless someone was running wide, wide open over the middle, Arod wasn't going to go there. Makes Adams's over-the-back-shoulder grabs even more amazing.
    I think he eschews throws in the middle of the field because they are more likely to be intercepted there. They are easier throws, but there are usually more lurking defenders to watch for.
    The number of sideline throws Rodgers has been able to complete is incredible, but I think his accuracy at throwing them has diminished in recent years.

Avoiding use of the MOF is making it harder for yourself and your offense. I think JL will use it much more, but I also think he'll throw more picks.

Also, throwing a deep sideline pass on 3rd and short is stupid unless you drew someone offside or you know you can convert on 4th down a la Jalen Hurts butt push.

Interceptions stats are often overrated. I'll take occasional interceptions in exchange for multiple drive saving throws any day of the week. Most of the time, an interception leads to the same result as a poor punt.

I do recall in the KC game a couple years ago that Love sure did seem like he had a long, slow windup. Sure, I've watched Rodgers for years, but I've seen a few other QB's over my football-watching life, and Love seemed super slow. I don't recall if he looked quicker against Philly; I imagine so.

KYPack

Wrong. Sharpe. One of if not the primary thing that makes Rodgers the GOAT is the mindset not to throw interceptions. We can only hope Love (if indeed he will be the next Packer QB) absorbed that and is approximately the same.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I do recall in the KC game a couple years ago that Love sure did seem like he had a long, slow windup. Sure, I've watched Rodgers for years, but I've seen a few other QB's over my football-watching life, and Love seemed super slow. I don't recall if he looked quicker against Philly; I imagine so.
    I think it's much quicker. Not like Rodgers, but a big improvement.

https://www.footballperspective.com/...tions-in-2019/

Some pretty good arguments that sacks have more effect on a game than picks.

Team records when finishing a game with 0 sacks:

2019: 49-16 (0.754)
    2014-2018: 225-86-1 (0.723)
    1990s: 472-166-0 (0.740)

Team records when finishing a game with 0 INTs:

2019: 153-90-1 (0.629)

2014-2018: 770-378-3 (0.670)

1990s: 1157-522-1 (0.689