Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: R.I.P. John Brockington

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    been meaning to post in this thread for a few days.

Brock was a tremendous fullback in the old sense. Brockington was as fast as Dillon, if not faster. He didn't have a lot of shake, but as powerful as Earl Campbell. He also provided on of the hairiest, scariest moments I've ever experienced at a Packer game. The Packers were playing The Cincinnati Bengals at Lambeau in early October of 1971. Brockington was a rookie, but had already impressed the crowd with his quickness and awesome power. Down by our goal Brockington tore thru the line, broke a tackle and motored right at the safety. The Bengal player showed a lot of heart, but little sense and went right at John B. Brockington had a powerful running motion and the two players collided about the 15 yard line. The noise could be heard all over the north end of Lambeau. It was a crack like I've never heard again, & I hope to hell I never hear again. The Bengal was a young kid named Ken Dyer. He never moved and they used a of of care to get him off the field. Most of us thought he was dead. Dyer sustained a career ending neck injury and was a quadriplegic for a couple years, but eventually rehabbed himself to walk and talk.

In the off season the Pack traded Donny Anderson to the Cardinals and got MacArthur Lane. Those two formed the most badass running tandem I've ever seen. Jump on YouTube and check those boys. Football like you've never seen
    That sounds horrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    been meaning to post in this thread for a few days.

Brock was a tremendous fullback in the old sense. Brockington was as fast as Dillon, if not faster. He didn't have a lot of shake, but as powerful as Earl Campbell. He also provided on of the hairiest, scariest moments I've ever experienced at a Packer game. The Packers were playing The Cincinnati Bengals at Lambeau in early October of 1971. Brockington was a rookie, but had already impressed the crowd with his quickness and awesome power. Down by our goal Brockington tore thru the line, broke a tackle and motored right at the safety. The Bengal player showed a lot of heart, but little sense and went right at John B. Brockington had a powerful running motion and the two players collided about the 15 yard line. The noise could be heard all over the north end of Lambeau. It was a crack like I've never heard again, & I hope to hell I never hear again. The Bengal was a young kid named Ken Dyer. He never moved and they used a of of care to get him off the field. Most of us thought he was dead. Dyer sustained a career ending neck injury and was a quadriplegic for a couple years, but eventually rehabbed himself to walk and talk.

In the off season the Pack traded Donny Anderson to the Cardinals and got MacArthur Lane. Those two formed the most badass running tandem I've ever seen. Jump on YouTube and check those boys. Football like you've never seen
    Damn, ky, awful but compelling story. It’s not all that dissimilar to Nick Collins taking on the 250lb RB from Atlanta. Glad Collins never had to be crippled from that hit. But he was reckless with his body too. Great career cut short there.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Brockington was a galloper, as I recall - and a big man. You've got to remember, he's about AJ Dillon size, but in those days, the rest of the players were much smaller than the players today. So Brockington was far bigger than lots of the guys trying to tackle him, even probably some of the linebackers and possibly even a couple defensive linemen.

And he was not afraid to hit someone head-on.

I still think if he hadn't have injured his knee, I think it was, he'd be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The game has changed, too. Funny to realize that backs, I don't think, caught as many passes as they do today. I think that changed with the advent of the west coast offense.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Brockington was a galloper, as I recall - and a big man. You've got to remember, he's about AJ Dillon size, but in those days, the rest of the players were much smaller than the players today. So Brockington was far bigger than lots of the guys trying to tackle him, even probably some of the linebackers and possibly even a couple defensive linemen.

And he was not afraid to hit someone head-on.

I still think if he hadn't have injured his knee, I think it was, he'd be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The game has changed, too. Funny to realize that backs, I don't think, caught as many passes as they do today. I think that changed with the advent of the west coast offense.
    Jerry Burns of the Vikings pretty much invented that. Back to Brockington, man that guy was a powerful runner. Seems like he burned out quick too.

I did not know that about Jerry Burns, but now that I think about it, my foggy memory does seem to recall a couple of Minnesota scat backs who could catch the football well.

Brockington probably would've burned out quick, like Earl Campbell, but as I recall he suffered a serious knee injury, and you remember, Ras, back in those days, that was the end of a guy's career. If he did come back, he was inevitably a shell of his former self.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Rastak View Post
    Jerry Burns of the Vikings pretty much invented that. Back to Brockington, man that guy was a powerful runner. Seems like he burned out quick too.
    As an offensive coordinator, right? Because the first running back I remember catching a lot of passes was Chuck Foreman when Bud Grant was HC and Jerry Burns was OC.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    As an offensive coordinator, right? Because the first running back I remember catching a lot of passes was Chuck Foreman when Bud Grant was HC and Jerry Burns was OC.
    Yea, mid 70's with Burnsie as OC.

And ol' Chuck could pound that rock, too. If I am recalling correctly, did he not wear thick-framed glasses when he played?

The guy was a player.

KYPack

I feel like an old timer talking football with my 20yo son. It’s nice to hear from some og old timers about the 70’s and earlier.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Still remember this one game vs Vikings at the Met during Brockington's rookie year of 1971. Packers were big underdogs, but dominated the game only to lose 3-0. Brockington had 149 yards rushing and Donny Anderson 68 as the Packers moved the ball all day. Packers had 300+ yards and the Vikings less than 100. But the Packers would mess up every time they got in Vikings territory. Asked about the stats after the game, Bud Grant said "Stats are for losers." The QB stats for the game show how different the game was in the 1970's. https://www.pro-football-reference.c...7111140min.htm
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Still remember this one game vs Vikings at the Met during Brockington's rookie year of 1971. Packers were big underdogs, but dominated the game only to lose 3-0. Brockington had 149 yards rushing and Donny Anderson 68 as the Packers moved the ball all day. Packers had 300+ yards and the Vikings less than 100. But the Packers would mess up every time they got in Vikings territory. Asked about the stats after the game, Bud Grant said "Stats are for losers." The QB stats for the game show how different the game was in the 1970's. https://www.pro-football-reference.c...7111140min.htm

Good ole Gary Cuozzo.

I was Patlerized years ago, and rightly so, when I made some off-the-cuff comments about how much more conservative football was in the late fifteis and sixties. Patler showed me that the game actually didn't move into the extreme conservatism I remember until the late sixties or early seventies - about the time you mention. Not that it was wide-open, but it got really conservative in the seventies, with the advent of the running back as the be-all and end-all of the offense.

Scott Hunter wouldn't even make it as a third-stringer in today's game.

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I was Patlerized years ago, and rightly so, when I made some off-the-cuff comments about how much more conservative football was in the late fifteis and sixties. Patler showed me that the game actually didn't move into the extreme conservatism I remember until the late sixties or early seventies - about the time you mention. Not that it was wide-open, but it got really conservative in the seventies, with the advent of the running back as the be-all and end-all of the offense.

Scott Hunter wouldn't even make it as a third-stringer in today's game.

Thing is though those defensive battles were great.

Oh, I loved those games, and growing up in that era colored my perception of the game, even up until today. I still yell "Run the damn ball!" at the TV all the time when the Packers are playing. And I get irked when the Packer defense acts like melting butter all the time, even though I know defense is not the calling card it once was, not for anybody. Last time a team had a really, really dominant defense that I remember, and used it to win it all, was back when the Ravens won their Superb Owl.

KYPack