Thread: R.I.P. John Brockington

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Brockington was a galloper, as I recall - and a big man. You've got to remember, he's about AJ Dillon size, but in those days, the rest of the players were much smaller than the players today. So Brockington was far bigger than lots of the guys trying to tackle him, even probably some of the linebackers and possibly even a couple defensive linemen.

And he was not afraid to hit someone head-on.

I still think if he hadn't have injured his knee, I think it was, he'd be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The game has changed, too. Funny to realize that backs, I don't think, caught as many passes as they do today. I think that changed with the advent of the west coast offense.
    Jerry Burns of the Vikings pretty much invented that. Back to Brockington, man that guy was a powerful runner. Seems like he burned out quick too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastak View Post
    Jerry Burns of the Vikings pretty much invented that. Back to Brockington, man that guy was a powerful runner. Seems like he burned out quick too.
    As an offensive coordinator, right? Because the first running back I remember catching a lot of passes was Chuck Foreman when Bud Grant was HC and Jerry Burns was OC.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    As an offensive coordinator, right? Because the first running back I remember catching a lot of passes was Chuck Foreman when Bud Grant was HC and Jerry Burns was OC.
    Yea, mid 70's with Burnsie as OC.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    And ol' Chuck could pound that rock, too. If I am recalling correctly, did he not wear thick-framed glasses when he played?

The guy was a player.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack