Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
Obviously I was in a different head space in 2015 when it came to the Packers, but this was probably when Thompson should have been put to pasture. At the time I enjoyed it.
My experience with people who've been diagnosed (my father-in-law, my brother) is that after the "official" diagnosis, people begin to go back and re-think what came before, and most of the time come to the conclusion that the dementia was probably developing long, long before the actual diagnosis was made.

I think this may have been what happened with Thompson, and I don't know if you can tie that to draft picks, but he certainly lost his luster as a draftnik at this point. Still had some good picks after that, but not nearly so many. I blame Murphy for letting Thompson stay too long. Not only was it a disservice to the team, I think it was a disservice to Thompson, who by the accounts I've read really just liked the scouting part best and probably would've been fine having the GM duties taken and assigned to scout once again.

I have to say I'm not a huge Mark Murphy fan. Obviously the team has had success, and it's a damn money machine, but as far as some of his organizational decisions, I'm not a huge fan.