Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
I don't see anything political at all about what you said. Largely accurate. I've met many pro athletes. Most are douchebags. The few I liked got horrible reps as team mates and in the media (Alex Rodriguez and Terrell Owens for example). Derek Jeter came across as an entitled frat boy.

But the gist of your post goes to what I said about ARod. We aren't really sick of his schtick, we are sick of the results on the field.
...And that is the truth. Guys can be rapists or child-beaters or cheaters, and for the most part, they get away with it - as long as they are stars on the field. But the minute that performance slips, we're all of a sudden indignant at their terrible behaviors.

You've also got to consider that many, most, of these guys have been told from a very young age that they were special. So they got special treatment as a result of their athletic prowess: passed through their classes in high school and college without having to do much if any work. Slide past trouble other people would get busted for because the school needed them in the big game. Girls provided. Drugs. Everybody wants to be their friend, most everybody wants to lick their asses. You give this kind of life to any human being, and that person is bound to be changed by the experience. Mostly not for the good. Mostly those people start believing they ARE different, they ARE special, because that's what they've been told their whole life. So it's all understandable. Sad, but understandable.