Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Drafting Jordan Love, instead of a WR...such as Tee HIggins

5 23.81%
  • See Round 3 every year, you dumbass

2 9.52%
  • Not Locking up Devonte Adams when he could have, the year before he left

1 4.76%
  • Not trading Aaron initially, and instead giving up power and the huge contract we are in now

13 61.90%
  • Trading Aaron Rodgers, assuming it occurs (for you Tex)

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: WHAT IS GUTEBAG'S BIGGEST MISTAKE/S SO FAR AS OUR GM ????

Blog Entries

WHAT IS GUTEBAG'S BIGGEST MISTAKE/S SO FAR AS OUR GM ????

OK, so I have read an article rating Gooters one of the top 10 GM's in the NFL. I am luke warm, not really a buyer or a seller on Gutebag.

Life is about Championships. So far in Green Bay from what I have witnessed

Ron Wolf has 1
    Ted Thompson has 1

And so far the other GM"s are irrelevant.

On one hand, our record over the past 10 years is among the best in the NFL, probably the best.

On the other hand, we've pissed away the last 10 years with a HOF Karen for QB and no Super Bowls to show for it.

So it's time for a poll to pick at the GUTE
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I voted not trading Rodgers, although I'm not sure it was all Gute's decision.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post

Thst is a very valid point as I've heard many imply MM had a huge say in not allowing Arod to be traded
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I didn't vote for the trade being the biggest mistake since it hasn't happened and ideally will not happen. I voted for drafting Love, as THAT more than anything else led to the shitstorm going on now. That applies either way, if Love is a total flop or if he is a decent QB. His absolute ceiling is well below what Rodgers has been and would continue to be.

As I've said many many times, nobody except the worst imbeciles and haters would be ranting against what I call THAT GLORIOUS CONTRACT if last year hadn't gone so bad with the injury(s) to Rodgers himself as well as most of the Packers receivers for significant chunks of the season, and throw in injuries to the O Line too for those who think O Line play is all that important, even throw in injuries on defense along with general underperformance thanks to Joe Barry. If the Packers had a great record and/or Rodgers played again at MVP level, only total dumbasses would not be thankful to have him locked up with that glorious contract.

Overall, Gutekunst has done a very decent job as a GM. However, if he ends up losing Rodgers with the subsequent dark age that results, that overshadows all the good things he has done in the past and probably future too.
    Last edited by texaspackerbacker; 04-17-2023 at 11:06 PM.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

tough to choose just one

in you list, each one seems worse then the previous (except for the last one)

maybe there should be another one. allowing karen to become the GM jr in the first place

to me, gutey is like the 3 stooges, and he's playing all the stooges

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Before the Draft in 2021 when Rodger's team leaked that he would refuse to play for the Packers any more and that he was at odds with the franchise the Packers should have immediately moved on from him. I would have forced him to either sit on his ass or I would have traded him for as many picks as I could have gotten. I would not have handed over the keys to the franchise by validating his opinions on the roster, ripping up his final year of his contract, and then extending him to a ridiculous contract. The Packers have fucked up this entire process with Rodgers.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    Before the Draft in 2021 when Rodger's team leaked that he would refuse to play for the Packers any more and that he was at odds with the franchise the Packers should have immediately moved on from him. I would have forced him to either sit on his ass or I would have traded him for as many picks as I could have gotten. I would not have handed over the keys to the franchise by validating his opinions on the roster, ripping up his final year of his contract, and then extending him to a ridiculous contract. The Packers have fucked up this entire process with Rodgers.
    Yep. At the time we had some hope for a sb, so I kind of understand. But they botched it. Could have gotten 2 firsts and 2 seconds and had a swipe at an elite QB in one of the next couple drafts. Botched.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    To me, this is his biggest mistake - an error of omission, as it were - although I understand the reasons he did not move on from Rodgers. Surely we can see the logic of wanting to "run it back" with the same crew that had had so much success the previous three years, and had gotten so close to the SB. Now, that's coming from someone - me - who was on record last offseason of wanting Rodgers gone, since he seemed to be turning into that old HOF QB who thinks he's always the smartest guy in any room.

So while it was the biggest mistake, it's an understandable one, and one that cannot be laid entirely at Guter's feet, as Mark Murphy is the one who created the dumb "silo" system and apparently, like some kind of hyper-involved NFL owner, also decided HE should have a hand in player personnel decisions and pushed Guter to NOT trade Rodgers.

But we can say with some certainty that Guter is in charge of the draft, and his third round selections range from "meh" to "Jaysus that sucked." His first draft? Oren Burks, a decent special teams guy and nothing more - no instinct for the game, bad angles. So - a third round pick for a ST guy. Next year? The mighty Jace Sternberger, who apparently recently caught a touchdown pass for some XFL or USFL team in Alabama or something. Sheesh. That guy was never right, not from day one. But in 2020 Guter redeemed himself with the mighty Josiah Deguara. I know KYPack liked the guy, but he's just a blocker who occasionally catches a pass, and is he THAT good of a blocker to be worth a third? He's a guy. But Guter had the next year to make up for that one, so let's move on to Amari Rodgers, perhaps the worst third round pick since Brett Conway in 1997. But if you thought Guter couldn't top that shit-stained bed, then take a look at last year's third round pick . . . wait, what was his name again? You know, that guy who disappeared the minute he got to camp, and only re-emerged when he got suspended for six games later in the season. You know, that guy who, I think, didn't play a single minute in a regular season game. Yeah, that guy. Sean Rhyan.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I said not trading Rodgers, because that contract is so shifty for the Packers, but Gute's failure to address the receiving corps for years, when everyone here could see the problem looming was a huge failure.
    Last edited by MadScientist; 04-18-2023 at 10:22 AM.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    I said not trading Rodgers, because that contract is so shifty for the Packers, but Gute's failure to address the receiving corps for years, when everyone here could see the problem looking was a huge failure.
    In that regard, Davante Adams was a safety net not only for Rodgers, but for Gutes.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

They could've fleeced Denver instead of the Hags.

I wish we had Schneider as our GM.

No brainer on this one.

I voted for the drafting of Love. And this is not a "hindsight" situation, either. I nearly ripped my TV off the wall and threw it on the ground when that pick was made. Did AR have some mediocre seasons prior to the Love pick? Yeah, sure. But this wasn't a situation at that time like Favre, where AR was threatening to retire every single year. At that point, he had repeatedly stated his desire to retire a Packer and not until at least 40. That pick was so fucking stupid I still steam about it years later.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by SudsMcBucky View Post
    I voted for the drafting of Love. And this is not a "hindsight" situation, either. I nearly ripped my TV off the wall and threw it on the ground when that pick was made. Did AR have some mediocre seasons prior to the Love pick? Yeah, sure. But this wasn't a situation at that time like Favre, where AR was threatening to retire every single year. At that point, he had repeatedly stated his desire to retire a Packer and not until at least 40. That pick was so fucking stupid I still steam about it years later.
    So you were that guy in the YouTube video.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    So you were that guy in the YouTube video.
    Ummmm, I can neither confirm nor deny that.

Who's trading an MVP? That MVP then went on to win another MVP. The biggest mistake they made was clearly drafting Love when they did as it stands today. It won't be a mistake if he turns out great but that action ended up walking out Rodgers. They probably would have won a super bowl if they took Higgins.

Thing is, Ish, by that logic it's the Packers' fault for making Rodgers uncomfortable? Geez, better not draft a left tackle, or Bakh will get pissed!

I disagree with you. I think it's the constant swings and misses on third round guys that cost this team a SB. Or maybe not drafting the right guy in the second round of a draft, like NOT Josh Jackson.

KYPack

Blog Entries
    i struggle with my own poll

And I almost added making Bach the highest paid in the NFL as option 5

I agree that drafting Love was our 1st and 4th rounder was a huge mistake and had we stayed put and drafted Tee Higgins it might have means another championship

Also think not resigning Devante when he still wanted to stay in GB was a huge mistake. Many in the know blame Gute for not offering the 2MIL more per year to get it down. In the end, one year later, Devante got a lot more. Rodgers or not, with Adams leaving and Gutebag's failure to get another legit talent at WR to go with Devante screwed us royally last year

But in the end, while I feel the two above points are were serious fuck ups (one could add not ever getting a legit #2 WR in the poll as well), when Aaron turned KAREN we had a huge opportunity to get a kings ransom from Denver.....the motherload of all f'ck ups was not trading Karen Rodgers, and instead giving him a ridiculous deal for the "Green Bay Packers' that we will regret for years and years to come. And we gave him that AFTER Devante left, when we had no real chance at a championship anymore anyways. We overestimated our own talent, ignorantly thinking bringing a Karen back could take us the the Big Show without the WR that helped him shine

The failure to me is twofold. Losing Adams and choosing to keep Rodgers was beyond dumb. The GM should’ve made sure he had both onboard when Rodgers was given the massive extension. Otherwise, it should not have been signed. The Packers had struggled to get over the hump with Adams. The team had no chance without him.

If there was no way to keep Adams, then Rodgers should’ve been traded.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Who's trading an MVP? That MVP then went on to win another MVP. The biggest mistake they made was clearly drafting Love when they did as it stands today. It won't be a mistake if he turns out great but that action ended up walking out Rodgers. They probably would have won a super bowl if they took Higgins.
    I think Rodgers is too egotistical to think the Love pick was anything but a backup option, if anything he viewed it as a wasted pick. He wanted to be the highest paid QB in the League, and he wanted older veterans to live in fantasy land in the NFL and have jobs for ever and have the red carpet brought out each time a veteran walked into the Packer locker room. He couldn't win a championship being the MVP so he wanted his contract extended to make him the highest paid player. Obviously he refuses to be compared to Favre or handle the situation publicly in any way shape or form the way Brett handled it. Rodgers was of course about the drafting of Love. Love also posed no threat to Rodgers until now, and of course he wants to play for another team now, similar to Favre.

I don't think it was a mistake drafting Love, it likely lit a fire under Rodgers and led to 2 years of MVP play.
    I have said several times they needed to draft a QB eventually, I just felt they took one a year too early. I wanted a WR that draft. Trading up for Love meant they had to give up a R4 which resulted in them taking Deguara a round early (at least). Not great, but they have a succession plan from Rodgers.

The biggest error was giving up power and that structure of the contract extension -- the longer it goes, the more expensive it gets. Many contracts have decreasing cap hits as they go... this one increases and paints the team into a corner. That's bad cap management.
    Maybe that's on Russ Ball or Murphy and not Gute.

Gute's made plenty of mistakes, but he's done some good things too.
    Last edited by run pMc; 04-19-2023 at 11:25 AM.