Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
I voted not trading Rodgers, although I'm not sure it was all Gute's decision.
To me, this is his biggest mistake - an error of omission, as it were - although I understand the reasons he did not move on from Rodgers. Surely we can see the logic of wanting to "run it back" with the same crew that had had so much success the previous three years, and had gotten so close to the SB. Now, that's coming from someone - me - who was on record last offseason of wanting Rodgers gone, since he seemed to be turning into that old HOF QB who thinks he's always the smartest guy in any room.

So while it was the biggest mistake, it's an understandable one, and one that cannot be laid entirely at Guter's feet, as Mark Murphy is the one who created the dumb "silo" system and apparently, like some kind of hyper-involved NFL owner, also decided HE should have a hand in player personnel decisions and pushed Guter to NOT trade Rodgers.

But we can say with some certainty that Guter is in charge of the draft, and his third round selections range from "meh" to "Jaysus that sucked." His first draft? Oren Burks, a decent special teams guy and nothing more - no instinct for the game, bad angles. So - a third round pick for a ST guy. Next year? The mighty Jace Sternberger, who apparently recently caught a touchdown pass for some XFL or USFL team in Alabama or something. Sheesh. That guy was never right, not from day one. But in 2020 Guter redeemed himself with the mighty Josiah Deguara. I know KYPack liked the guy, but he's just a blocker who occasionally catches a pass, and is he THAT good of a blocker to be worth a third? He's a guy. But Guter had the next year to make up for that one, so let's move on to Amari Rodgers, perhaps the worst third round pick since Brett Conway in 1997. But if you thought Guter couldn't top that shit-stained bed, then take a look at last year's third round pick . . . wait, what was his name again? You know, that guy who disappeared the minute he got to camp, and only re-emerged when he got suspended for six games later in the season. You know, that guy who, I think, didn't play a single minute in a regular season game. Yeah, that guy. Sean Rhyan.