Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Drafting Jordan Love, instead of a WR...such as Tee HIggins

5 23.81%
  • See Round 3 every year, you dumbass

2 9.52%
  • Not Locking up Devonte Adams when he could have, the year before he left

1 4.76%
  • Not trading Aaron initially, and instead giving up power and the huge contract we are in now

13 61.90%
  • Trading Aaron Rodgers, assuming it occurs (for you Tex)

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: WHAT IS GUTEBAG'S BIGGEST MISTAKE/S SO FAR AS OUR GM ????

Do you seriously think THAT - to light a fire under Rodgers - was the reason they drafted Love? Seriously? Granted, it seemed to work out that way, but an NFL executive thinking like that? Come on, man hahahahaha.

The contract was DESIGNED to assure that there would be such a big price to pay for either Rodgers or the team if Rodgers left that it wouldn't happen - the reason I did then and still do call it a Glorious Contract. If he continues to play for the Packers (still doubtful, I suppose) and that contract is part of the reason why, then anybody calling himself a Packer fan will be thankful. If he goes, either by trade or retirement, it's doom and gloom for all of us who claim to be Packer fans.

"Many contracts have decreasing cap hits as they go" - that's just factually wrong. Almost all have a small hit at the beginning with a big load at the end which is expected to result either in a restructure or a cut.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Lighting a fire under Rodgers was NOT the reason they drafted Love, but it was the result.

Slight clarification to earlier comment: The cap hit (savings) improves as a contract goes on, even if the cap space used for the contract that year goes up. It's usually because signing of prorated bonuses and how that money hits in year 1 vs. Year 3 vs. Year 5.

In fact, Rodgers contract is so bizarre that several people have written in-depth articles explaining it, and they agree it's bad for the team's cap. What contract do you know of causes a 99M cap hit?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I voted for drafting Love, as THAT more than anything else led to the shitstorm going on now. That applies either way, if Love is a total flop or if he is a decent QB. His absolute ceiling is well below what Rodgers has been and would continue to be.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Lighting a fire under Rodgers was NOT the reason they drafted Love, but it was the result.
    It was a routine move that every other NFL GM would have done.

Tex was right that Love is not likely to be as good as Rodgers, a hall of famer. so what

Quote Originally Posted by SudsMcBucky View Post
    I voted for the drafting of Love. And this is not a "hindsight" situation, either. I nearly ripped my TV off the wall and threw it on the ground when that pick was made. Did AR have some mediocre seasons prior to the Love pick? Yeah, sure. But this wasn't a situation at that time like Favre, where AR was threatening to retire every single year. At that point, he had repeatedly stated his desire to retire a Packer and not until at least 40. That pick was so fucking stupid I still steam about it years later.
    Teams ALWAYS seek plan Bs for the QB position - actually for every position. Remember all the promising QBs that Ron Wolfe drafted and later traded?
    It's true that Love was a #1, but he dropped to the end of the round and was seen as an irresistible value.

Packers were not pushing Rodgers out the door. They were just covering their bases. AR had every opportunity to play well and keep Love on the bench or on the trading block.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Teams ALWAYS seek plan Bs for the QB position - actually for every position. Remember all the promising QBs that Ron Wolfe drafted and later traded?
    It's true that Love was a #1, but he dropped to the end of the round and was seen as an irresistible value.

Packers were not pushing Rodgers out the door. They were just covering their bases. AR had every opportunity to play well and keep Love on the bench or on the trading block.
    This. There is nothing wrong with drafting a QB when your starter has had 3 straight seasons outside the top 5 QBs (he went 23-16-1, all 3 seasons w/ passer rating below 100) and just finished his age 36 season. That's covering your bases.
    As players age they become more susceptible to injury.
    What's wrong with having a good backup at QB? Now, maybe they didn't need to take one in R1, but Love was likely too good a prospect -- some had him in the top 10 -- to pass up.

I don't consider it a bad or wasted pick, not yet anyway. If he stinks it up I might change my mind, but all he is then is a bridge to the next QB they'll take.
    Also, if MLF is any good with QBs and the Shanny/McVay offense is QB friendly he should at least be ok. Maybe never Rodgers good (Rodgers is possibly the most talented QB ever) but plenty of lesser QBs have taken their teams to SBs.

Picking Love, even trading up for it was not a huge mistake because Love is crap - he may be, or he may be good. The reason it was a huge bad move is that it triggered the whole shitstorm of events we see nowadays. And as I said, as Harlan said, and probably some others who aren't totally out of it also know, Love's absolute ceiling is nowhere near as good as the average of Rodgers' years in his career, maybe not even to the level of Rodgers' "bad" years like last year.

IF Rodgers is indeed gone - hopefully not but probably yes, and iF people are willing to settle for that level of a replacement, then whatever. Love probably ain't complete crap. He might be fairly good, but that plus everything else adds up to what I consider mediocrity for the foreseeable future.

I'd rather have several more years of greatness with Rodgers at QB. It's downright weird how so few of ya'all don't see it that way.

You’re not one of the good, normals Tex. You’re an odd ball with odd ball ideas!
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

I'd like several more years of greatness with Rodgers at QB.

Except he almost retired or demanded trades the last 3 years, and even Woody Johnson is scared he's only playing one more year... so the "several more years" part is wishful thinking. There's a better than 50/50 chance by Rodgers own admission (if we believe him) that he's done after this year. He's 39, even he doesn't think he has several more years. I don't know why you do.

The "greatness" part might also be wishful thinking, if you watch the last 21 games of Rodgers tape. The moments of greatness are fewer and fewer. That, combined with his cost, are why people don't see it the way you do.
    ($60M for 8-9 or 10-7 and a WC loss? yuck.)

If Rodgers couldn't handle that a rookie QB, unproven but with some upside, came into camp and that caused all this...where to begin?

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    If Rodgers couldn't handle that a rookie QB, unproven but with some upside, came into camp and that caused all this...where to begin?
    Yep
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

An undervalued first-round pick drives the gripey veteran to New Jersey...man, we need better writers.
    I believe in God, family, Baylor University, and the Green Bay Packers.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    You’re not one of the good, normals Tex. You’re an odd ball with odd ball ideas!
    Where does that come from? Have you checked comments in other forums or Facebook or Yahoo articles or just talked to people in general about Rodgers and if he is gone? It's a lot more like 50/50 or more outside of this forum - where inexplicably, the haters, etc. are close to 100%.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    I try to take things for face value, so when Rodgers says he intends to play for the Jets in 2023 I believe that is his intent.

Also when it come to Rodgers, I can't put it all on the shoulders of Gute. I think a lot of this falls on Murphy and Russ Ball. You know, the triangle of sadness.

Where does that come from? Have you checked comments in other forums or Facebook or Yahoo articles or just talked to people in general about Rodgers and if he is gone? It's a lot more like 50/50 or more outside of this forum - where inexplicably, the haters, etc. are close to 100%.
    Maybe in TX, not in WI
    I've heard it's more like 70/30 in favor of a Rodgers trade. Murphy was getting a lot of "when?" questions he had to shut down on his Tailgate Tour; there wasn't much trade-hate out there.

I'm tempted to just settle for your 70/30 figure, because it's a lot worse for the side of Good in here hahahaha.

I'm not talking about TX. The only Packer fans I know here are relatives, and of course, they are pro-keeping Rodgers. I'm talking primarily about the "groups" in Facebook that pop up in my FB - "Diehard Packer Fan Group", "Green Bay Packer Fans", "Wisconsin Sports 24/7 Group", etc.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    I'm tempted to just settle for your 70/30 figure, because it's a lot worse for the side of Good in here hahahaha.

I'm not talking about TX. The only Packer fans I know here are relatives, and of course, they are pro-keeping Rodgers. I'm talking primarily about the "groups" in Facebook that pop up in my FB - "Diehard Packer Fan Group", "Green Bay Packer Fans", "Wisconsin Sports 24/7 Group", etc.

All those groups sound horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    I try to take things for face value, so when Rodgers says he intends to play for the Jets in 2023 I believe that is his intent.

Also when it come to Rodgers, I can't put it all on the shoulders of Gute. I think a lot of this falls on Murphy and Russ Ball. You know, the triangle of sadness.
    And of coure the very existence of said "triangle of sadness" (great description) falls on Murphy.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    All those groups sound horrible.
    Most of their articles are in fact pretty horrible - not much different from any other media crap. I was referring, however, to the comments, likes, etc. from people reading them.

These as well as the also horrible articles in Yahoo and other venues - the comments by people and thumbs up or down, etc.

All of those comments and reactions by regular people have been pretty well mixed, a very decent percentage pro-keeping Rodgers along with, of course, ignorant shitheads who want him gone with the subsequent long period of mediocrity or worse.
    Last edited by texaspackerbacker; 04-20-2023 at 09:37 PM.

There was a online poll I saw from a Wisconsin television station about Rodgers saying he intends to play for the Jets with about 1000 responses. It was something like 60% just glad it was over, 35% very happy and 5% upset.