Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
Some might call that a dumb take, but I'll just say it's a take any GM or QB or RB would disagree with. There's a reason most elite tackles are taken in the Top 10, and more are taken than WR or TE, or punter. If you think OL doesn't matter, I'd refer you back to early last season when they decided to trot out Hansen and Newman on the right side. Can't blame Rodgers performance on injuries and then turn around and say OL doesn't matter beyond 'bare minimum'. You also don't have Aaron Jones running for 1000 yards without a decent OL.

As for the packers roster, they have talent. A LOT of it underperformed last year: Myers, Dillon, Stokes, Savage, Devondre, et al. Even Jaire and Kenny Clark had decent if somewhat down years (for them). Are they loaded?
SF has more talent and are at the top along with PHI in the NFC. GB's roster has some holes and warts but could compete for a wildcard spot. They shouldn't go 3-14 like the Bears did last year. That team had so little talent it tried to build a roster from other teams' training camp cuts.

I will say with something like 25 drafted players in the last two years, GB has a lot of young but unproven talent. A lot of it won't pan out, but even if they hit on 30% of the picks they're doing ok.
How many of those top ten picked O Linemen over the years have flopped? I'll suggest it was a large percentage of them - all the way from Mandarich to the present (I'm sure if I'm wrong, one of these whiny fact checkers in here will look it up and say otherwise hahahaha).

Which teams had the highest reputed O Lines over past years? One of them that I can think of was the Lions, and it didn't keep them from being bottom-dwellers.

I stand by what I have said 100% - Rodgers and Favre MADE the reputation of the Packers O Lines as being above average, some would say excellent. What I saw over the years/decades was consistent heavy pass rush pressure on Packer QBs that Favre and Rodgers got away from. The few games they missed, guys like Seneca Wallace and Tolzien were literally running for their lives. And did the Packers have a top flight running game over those same times. Sometimes yes, but arguably, that was MADE by the Rodgers/Favre passing game and would not have stood by itself with a mediocre passing game.

What do we have now? Potentially great pass receivers, Aaron Jones who as a change of pace RB is as good as any in the league. I don't think he could handle a true run-first offense, carrying it 25 or 30 a game. And Dillon got kinda exposed as not so great last season except as a change of pace guy. Our D could certainly be near the top of the league if Barry is any kind of a decent DC. It all comes down to Love.

I said previously, it could be anything from 5 or 6 wins if Love flops to 13 or 14 if he is good. If by some miracle, he reaches Rodgers level, the sky's the limit. My guess too would be 8 - 10 wins with Love being a half step above the pits.

Who in here can honestly say they didn't thoroughly expect the Packers to be just about the best team in the league going into last season? I certainly did.