Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Love’s first game as El Hombre…

Love’s first game as El Hombre…

Time to see who has faith and who thinks Aaron Rodgers is the only player who was worth anything on the roster.

What kind of game does Love put up in game 1?

I won’t predict a 300+ yard coming out party, but I feel confident he will look the part of a starting QB and do well enough to guide the Packers to a close victory.
    Last edited by King Friday; 04-25-2023 at 09:29 PM.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

He'll be running an offense built around his skills, not Rodgers'. But I might want to know who the opponent is before making a prediction.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Waiting to see who they play, what the roster looks like, and the team in general after about 2 games into preseason.
    I don't think they'll ask Love to air the ball out 40 times unless it's some kind of shootout, though.

I just want to see him run the offense efficiently. Let the scheme create open receivers and have Love hit them in stride. 300 yards is not what I want to see, but rather an efficient 225-250 and have him get the first win under his belt.

Also 300 yards is something Rodgers reached only 4 times in each of his last two MVP seasons, with two of those 8 games being losses and one an overtime win. So if Love hits 300 yards, it either means the defense is failing and Love has to chuck it, or the other team is just letting Watson run free.
    Last edited by MadScientist; 04-26-2023 at 12:12 AM.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Keep in mind ARod, with a team that went 13-3 the year before, went 6-10. I suspect Love will be around that, maybe 7-9, maybe 5-11. I'd be pretty happy with 8-8. We shall see.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    They will start slow then finish competitive barely missing the playoffs. This will be followed up next year with a playoff win.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Keep in mind ARod, with a team that went 13-3 the year before, went 6-10. I suspect Love will be around that, maybe 7-9, maybe 5-11. I'd be pretty happy with 8-8. We shall see.
    Reminder: seasons are 17 games.

I am expecting 9-10 wins, this current team is in way better shape talentwise than when Rodgers took over.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    But Rodgers wasn't the main problem. The Packers offense declined only slightly in 2008. The biggest problem is that the Packers went from the #6 defense in 2007 to the #22 defense in 2008. Rodgers' stats in 2008 were very similar to Favre's in 2007. How well the defense plays in 2023 will be as big a factor as how well Love plays.

Quote Originally Posted by jklowan View Post
    I am expecting 9-10 wins, this current team is in way better shape talentwise than when Rodgers took over.
    The Packers had a great playoff run with Favre the year before Rodgers took over.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

When Favre left he had like 9 sacks in 2007. Rodgers had like 40 behind the same line. Favre was a field general who functioned at a torrid pace in 2007 and it always seemed like the defense was on its heels. Rodgers was slow and gave the defense time to set up. He eventually became good at his style, but early on it hurt us. Aaron Rodgers averaged 10 interceptions a year for his first three years before becoming the goat of interception percentage.

If the Rodgers transition is a decent indicator, Love will take a couple years to master his style and there will be a big drop off from a veteran HOFer even if Love is a future HOFer.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    The Packers had a great playoff run with Favre the year before Rodgers took over.
    Player for player I think the roster that Love is inheriting is better excluding the receivers, hopefully a short term issue. Most sane people will admit this current team severely underperformed last year and I expect a bounce back to the norm this year and hopefully a flood of talent from this upcoming draft as well to help.

I also think Love's style is going to rely less on the hero ball antics of Rodgers and Farve and hopefully he surprises alot of people

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    But Rodgers wasn't the main problem. The Packers offense declined only slightly in 2008. The biggest problem is that the Packers went from the #6 defense in 2007 to the #22 defense in 2008. Rodgers' stats in 2008 were very similar to Favre's in 2007. How well the defense plays in 2023 will be as big a factor as how well Love plays.
    Oh Cripes, you mean we have to count on Joe Barely?

Shit.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post

Shit.
    Just gotta hold down the fort until your boy Gary gets back. Then they'll be unstoppable.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post

Shit.
    In my dreams, Aaron Rodgers and the NYJ disappoint Woody Johnson enough to get Robert Saleh fired, and he joins his best buddy MLF in GB to be the new DC for 2024.
    The door can't hit Joe Barry in the backside fast enough.

The over/under for Jordan Love is 3400 yards and 22.5 touchdowns. 5 teams threw for less than 3400 yards. That’s bottom 15% numbers. 15 teams threw for under 22.5 touchdowns. Thats bottom half type numbers.

If the Packers didn’t have some confidence in Love, they’da kissed 12’s ass again. Gotta think they think he’s better than bottom 15%

Imma be betting on over 3400 yards. I think that’s a safe bet if he stays healthy.

I suspect a lot of people think the Packers will run the ball more and throw the ball less. I suspect they're wrong.

I agree that they will probably stay a pass-first team. The question is, though, is Love up to it? Talent-wise, the team is loaded enough that if he can even come close to that 3,400 yards/22 TD passes and do it without more than a few picks, they really should win at least the 9-10 games somebody speculated. Can he do it? Optimist that I am, I still can't be confident of that.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

The Packers passed 53.6% of the time last year. I suspect they will be around that again this season.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!