Thread: How Will This Year's Offense Be Different?

How Will This Year's Offense Be Different?

Besides not having Arod under center.

This has been touched on in other threads, but I thought it deserved a thread of its own. What will the MLF offense look like this year, compared to past years with Rodgers?

Most people so far seem to think the Packers will run the ball more. But oddly, they ran it a fair amount last year, as I recall. So even more? And if they do, that offensive line coach better work on the run blocking. I think the line, in general, was much better pass blocking than run blocking.

Now my recollection is not reliable - we see what we want or think we see - but mine is that after that first two years with the MLF offense, Rodgers seemed to morph it back more to what is was with MM, which is ironic considering Rodgers was I think grumbling during MM's last years about how stale the offense had gotten. But I recall, the first year or two of MLF, lots more guys going in motion, for example, whereas last year especially, I don't recall as much of that. That could be me, though.

I am hoping for something that will look more like Holmgren's early west coast offenses in Green Bay, with the short passes that served as a kind of running game, the quick decision making, all of that. I also hope that the offense will be a little more up tempo. God they were so slow with Rodgers, always down to the last millisecond. I am hoping too it will look more like what SF runs, which seems to me the "purer" form of this offense.

This means though that the wide receivers need to hang on to the ball. I know a lot of people liked Doubs, but that dude dropped the ball a lot. Hopefully that was just first-year growing pains and not Jmon Moore Disease.

I am also hoping they get a true slot receiver who can do better on the end-arounds than the long striders the Packers have been using - Watson, Equanimity St. Brown, those guys.

And let's see more motion. Last year there seemed to be fewer and fewer plays where guys went in motion. It seemed to go back to the old "let Aaron have fifteen seconds to line up and bark signals and look at the defense." But again, that's just my perception. I wonder what others think about that. Finally, I'd like to see Love under center and not in shotgun all the time. I don't think you can run as well out of the shotgun.

So - what will be different?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

There will definitely be more motion. I also expect more tempo on offense. I remember MLF stressing tempo in his 1st training camp in 2019. But that eventually went by the wayside because it clashed with Rodgers' desire to use all the play clock. I also expect the Packers to utilize the middle of the field in the passing game a lot more.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

We might actually run the offense?

Our best player (a-jo) will get the ball more

I think you’re right about Rodgers going back to what he did under fat mike. But I think Rodgers was doing his own thing at the end of McCarthys run too

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Packers played really well the last half of the year outside of the Detroit game, and Rodgers played with much better rhythm and trust. The key to defeating Rodgers is to press his receivers and rush the shit out of him.

Now I expect the short high percentage passing game to be in effect for Love. I see a lot of bubble screens and jail break screens to his receivers, along with mesh and flood combos. Roll him out and let him check it down if the intermediate isn't there. Managing a QB is a lot like managing a politician. Protect his stats build momentum with him and the fans.

Let the run game determine what Love needs to give you in the passing game. Expect a lot of completions on third down that don't move the chains.

Nutz nailz it. More scheming guys into short passes where they will have a shot at breaking it open. Things like bubble screens coming back against the grain. Route concepts with Watson catching a ball within 3 yards of the line, but on the move where the other routes and blockers will create a situation where he has 1 guy to outrun.

The run game probably won't be remarkably different. Its the idea that on 3rd and 8 we won't have to throw the ball 10 or more yards. MiLF will have guys getting the ball in a situation to pick up the first so all the pressure isn't on Love.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Probably less audibles, faster pace (because AR liked to run the clock down to 0, GB was one of the slowest paced offenses in the league), triple threat (i.e., QB runs become a threat) on RPOs, more motion, probably less shotgun -- although Love and Rodgers both like shotgun.
    I don't think they run the ball more, but I think they way they run it might change.
    Probably less YOLO balls on 3rd and 2, almost certainly more turnovers by the QB.

If we get steady improvement month over month from the QB and the rookies/2nd year players, it's a win this year. If that happens, 2024 and 2025 are when things kick into gear and expectations go way up.

This is the year we find out if MLF is a good coach or if he was just riding AR's coattails all along.

Enough motion to give the defenses motion sickness. Fewer wasted time outs because they can't get an overly complicated play in. (I hope anyway). Less running around waiting for a secondary route to come open.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Probably less audibles, faster pace (because AR liked to run the clock down to 0, .
    maybe we'll finally have time outs available at the end of the halfs to do something more then hail mary's

Jalen Hurts, Herbert, Mahommes, Burrow, Lamar, Josh Allen were all drafted in the last 5 or so years. Finding a stud isn’t impossible. Love being a stud isn’t impossible. It does happen. All of the time.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Passes to the middle of the field and check downs will increase significantly.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This is a very easy answer. We won’t know what play they’re going to call.