Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: Official Day 2 (Rounds 2&3) Of NFL Draft Thread

I do like the elite athletes we are getting compared to years past. You will find it difficult to draft All Pros if you draft mediocre athletes. My main complaint is that the TEs may need several years to become impact starters. To me, Reed is the best pick at this point because he’s most likely to provide immediate benefit.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Being a good athlete doesn't necessarily make you a good football player, but it doesn't hurt.
    Yeah DickRod had really slow 40 and I don't recall anything great about his numbers. IIRC it was a bad TE class most didn't care for the pick.
    Sternberger had production but didn't test that great.

I think they've learned to draft high end athletes everywhere they can, which is why they didn't grab a safety yet.
    One way you could describe this draft so far is speed -- they got faster.

One of them is bound to hit.
    Agree, hopefully both do. GB has done more double dipping in recent years and I like that idea. More likely to hit on a good one that way.

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    I do like the elite athletes we are getting compared to years past. You will find it difficult to draft All Pros if you draft mediocre athletes. My main complaint is that the TEs may need several years to become impact starters. To me, Reed is the best pick at this point because he’s most likely to provide immediate benefit.
    Yeah. It’s really hard to envision either of these tight ends being even slightly below average in their rookie years. That position is so overwhelming to young guys. They’re involved in blocking schemes. They’re involved in passing concepts. Not only do they have to master technique blocking in line, but they have to also become proficient with movement type blocks, which is a whole other set of techniques to feel out. Outside of QB, its the position that has the most on its plate. I give these guys about a zero percent chance at being average in their rookie years. Even down the road, tight ends are the hardest to project. Some make it for unknown reasons and others don’t.

You love the athletic profiles. Reed is the safest bet, and the most likely to contribute early. But I’m glad they took two high potential swipes at TE in a deep class. If one of these guys is a top 5 TE three years from now, that is a true game changer. It’s two big swings for the fences. Let’s see how it pans out.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Travis Kelce had less than 1,000 yards in 3 years in college. He missed the 2010 season for violating team rules. He did next to nothing until his senior season. But he was an elite athlete. And you could envision a great player.

George Kittle had less than 800 yards in 4 seasons. He was a good blocker but an underutilized passing weapon that didn’t have much on tape to get excited about. But he was an elite athlete and you could envision him becoming a great player with his skillset.

Kelce went in the 3rd round. Kittle went in the 5th.

Kelce had a redshirt rookie year. Kittle had a ho hum rookie year. Both took off in year 2.

There is absolutely no saying that we got even one great player with these second and 3rd round swings. But they’re swings for the fences, much like Kelce and Kittle. I don’t expect much in 2023, but i feel good about the gamble on both picks and we’re in damn good shape if one of these guys ends up the home run pick you can envision them becoming in year 2.

Reed might be the safest pick as a year 1 contributor. But the tight ends give you some hope for an absolute difference maker at tight end. And that is far more exciting!

The 2 trade downs during round 2 were turned into Dontayvion Wicks and Karl Brooks. Nicely done Gute.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

My guess is they knew they wanted Reed and also were pretty damn sure he'd still be around at the end of the round, or at least for several picks.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack