Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2023 2nd Round Pick #50 WR Jayden Reed

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    4.45 is fast, Tex.
    Yep. Greg Jennings was 4.47. Reed's 4.45 was 16th out of 45 in 2023 who tested.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Yep. Greg Jennings was 4.47. Reed's 4.45 was 16th out of 45 in 2023 who tested.
    Sometimes I just wanna wring that old farts neck
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

If you’re looking at guys who are 6’2” and 215, 4.5 is plenty fast. If I guy is a good player and that size, I always feel good about 4.5

Jayden Reed and Amari Rodgers are very different receivers.

Reed is smaller and much quicker. I think they wanted Rodgers to be kind of a gadget/YAC guy and a Deebo clone, then he came in slimmer last year which probably didn't help his cause. Watch Amari's college highlights and then Reed's -- you'll see a difference.
    I like Reed in R3 but getting him in R2 along with a couple of Day 3 picks is ok. There were three players taken after him in R2 that I liked better (Gervon Dexter, Rashee Rice, DJ Turner) but he's fills a nice complementary role in the offense and he can return punts right away. Amari was never the punt returner this guy is.

And yes, 4.45 is fast enough. MVS ran a 4.37.

Amari's RAS card: https://ras.football/ras-information/?PlayerID=19343
    Jayden's : https://ras.football/ras-information/?PlayerID=17156

Reed's 10 yard split is considerably faster than Rodgers'. Would have liked to see better agility or explosion numbers from Reed. Slot WRs tend to have weird RAS scores.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    If you’re looking at guys who are 6’2” and 215, 4.5 is plenty fast. If I guy is a good player and that size, I always feel good about 4.5
    Check out Davante Adam's RAS card: https://ras.football/ras-information/?PlayerID=11166
    'Poor' speed (4.56 40), 'Okay' agility, 'Great' explosion, 'Good' size. Long arms.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Check out Davante Adam's RAS card: https://ras.football/ras-information/?PlayerID=11166
    'Poor' speed (4.56 40), 'Okay' agility, 'Great' explosion, 'Good' size. Long arms.
    Yeah, you want a guy to be athletic in other ways and have size. But if they have size like Jordy, Davante or Cooper Kupp, they don’t have to be as fast.

Jerry Rice wasn't a burner, and he wasn't a big dude. You don't have to be an elite athlete to be a great player, but it sure helps.
    A lot of picks are taken on traits or upside - I'll use Quentin Johnson as an example. He's a better athlete than football player right now with the belief that with time and coaching he'll become a good WR.

I read executives had Jerry Rice timed as well as 4.55. But in that era, there wasn’t as much training for running these drills. I suspect Rice was more like a 6’2 4.45 kind of guy if he prepared the way guys do now. Maybe even better. Jerry Rice was very fast. You could see it.

You know, the more I learn, the more I think the Packers really kinda liked the guy - more than some whom we thought they would pick - and they also were confident he'd be around later, so they traded back twice, being sure he'd still be there.

Don't know if that was because Mingo was gone, or if they just liked this guy. But they clearly liked him better than that SMU (?) receiver they brought in - Rashee Rice, was his name? I think he was still available when they picked Reed.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Rice went a few picks after Reed. Given the choice of the two I'd probably have leaned Rice but don't fault them for taking Reed. At a minimum Reed should be able to run some routes out of the slot, do some jet motion stuff, and return punts.
    He's a far better PR than Amari ever was -- he housed 3 in college.

Blog Entries
    Thoughts on how reed and his route running compares to Greg Jennings ??
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Thoughts on how reed and his route running compares to Greg Jennings ??
    We all seem to want to compare guys to Greg Jennings. In my opinion, Jennings was a very, very, very good receiver. I thought the Packer should've paid the guy, but Ted rarely did that. I'm not sure why he wouldn't re-up Jennings. The guy was really pretty incredible. Not as good as Davante Adams, but in my opinion, better than Driver or Jones or Antonio Freeman or maybe even Jordy Nelson.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I'm more inclined to think of Reed as a faster version of Randall Cobb. That's probably off too, but maybe a little closer. Few guys can run routes like Greg Jennings.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

How he runs routes, etc reminds me of TY Hilton. Explosive runner that could stretch the seam and play inside or outside.

Checkout the Colts preview of receivers: https://coltswire.usatoday.com/lists...to-watch-2023/
    Last edited by Sparkey; 05-02-2023 at 09:19 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    We all seem to want to compare guys to Greg Jennings. In my opinion, Jennings was a very, very, very good receiver. I thought the Packer should've paid the guy, but Ted rarely did that. I'm not sure why he wouldn't re-up Jennings. The guy was really pretty incredible. Not as good as Davante Adams, but in my opinion, better than Driver or Jones or Antonio Freeman or maybe even Jordy Nelson.

Agree Fritz; Jennings was a huge huge loss. He was the 3rd best route runner I have seen in Green Bay behind Sterling Sharpe and Devante Adams. He was way better than Driver, Jones, Freeman, and better than Jordy as well.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I'll take Jordy over Jennings. His career stats were better (despite being a sub for his first three years), and his peak was better.

Since I started watching, it goes like this for me:

Sharpe
    Lofton
    Adams
    Jordy
    Driver
    Jennings
    Freeman

Hutson is #1 with Dowler and Dale getting top 10 consideration, if you go back further.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Jordy somewhat benefitted from timing of his peak aligning with the juggernaut O we had. Jennings' prime was finishing up, though not completely spent, by the time we became the 2011 offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    That was Ted, going with the better to let a guy go a year too early than a year too late. It's pretty risky signing a WR to a THIRD contract, as with RBs they don't always do so well after 30. His numbers for MIN bear that out, although he mostly bad QBs to deal with. If you're going to let a guy like that walk, you better start finding a replacement though.

Jordy was a little bit better than Jennings, but it's pretty close. Agree timing on the juggernaut O helped.
    Also like Reed being comp'd to Cobb or Hilton better than to Jennings.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I'll take Jordy over Jennings. His career stats were better (despite being a sub for his first three years), and his peak was better.

Since I started watching, it goes like this for me:

Sharpe
    Lofton
    Adams
    Jordy
    Driver
    Jennings
    Freeman

Hutson is #1 with Dowler and Dale getting top 10 consideration, if you go back further.

I like Jennings ahead of Driver and really close, but very different than Nelson. I’d put those two on the same tier. Never saw Lofton other than a few highlights, but I’m not surprised.

Jordy, Driver, Jennings and Freeman can all be bunched into the same group.