Thread: Official day 3 of the 2023 NFL draft thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Overall, this was a draft for a team with a poor pass rush, nothing for TE, and short on WR. Aka, last year's Packers. Unfortunately, this means that they were drafting for the holes they have, instead of the holes that will be coming up in a year or two.
    Possibly. They had no cap space and in many cases no bodies at some of the positions. I suppose you could say they drafted for need, but I would counter that they tried to read the board for when runs would happen and generally did well.
    They could have taken JSN but went for what they thought was a better player with LVN, got two of the top TEs before they were gone, etc.

I don't think it was a bad draft, but we won't really know for a couple of years. This team had talent, but it had a lot of holes and vacancies. It was bound to happen that they'd address needs... imagine if they drafted Will Levis and waiting until Day 3 to take a pass catcher

I guess I'm somewhat agreeing with you, but I don't think they really had any other option, and I don't think they necessarily reached except on 1 or 2 picks.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Possibly. They had no cap space and in many cases no bodies at some of the positions. I suppose you could say they drafted for need, but I would counter that they tried to read the board for when runs would happen and generally did well.
    It's the lack of bodies a positions that bothers me. We could all see holes coming at WR, and that they haven't had a good TE in forever. Yet instead of picking for the future in those positions in previous drafts, Gute waited until the situation was desperate. Very few players make a splash in their first year, so Gute should be drafting where the holes will be in 1-2 years from now to keep the team performing at a high level. Hopefully they won't have a gaping hole somewhere (OL perhaps) in a year or two.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    It's the lack of bodies a positions that bothers me. We could all see holes coming at WR, and that they haven't had a good TE in forever. Yet instead of picking for the future in those positions in previous drafts, Gute waited until the situation was desperate. Very few players make a splash in their first year, so Gute should be drafting where the holes will be in 1-2 years from now to keep the team performing at a high level. Hopefully they won't have a gaping hole somewhere (OL perhaps) in a year or two.
    The obvious problem is that if you draft for two to three years down the road, you've still got the current giant holes to fill. So he more or less had to draft a couple players at positions of need - a couple DT's, a few wide receivers, a couple of tight ends. But that's his fault in a way for having drafted turds like Jace Sternberger, Amari Rodgers, and the like.

I am not sold on Gute. At all. But now that his co-GM is gone, the team really is his - no more Rodgers to mollify, but also no more Rodgers to make the team look better than maybe it was. So let's see what he can do.

Same with MLF. I'm excited to see his offense now, but he also better have a much better defense, given the resources invested in that defense. It's ridiculous how many first round picks are out there on the field, and despite that they've mostly been lousy or mediocre.

I think Special Teams is actually going to be the strongest of the three units this year, though that kid Carlson looks terribly inaccurate. I read that he's been hurt, and maybe the Pack thinks that's why his percentage was not very good at all.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack