Thread: 2023 4th Round Pick #116 DL Colby Wooden

2023 4th Round Pick #116 DL Colby Wooden

DT
    Colby Wooden
    6'4"
    273 lbs
    Auburn

Pre-Draft Analysis
    Wooden has good size and length for a 3-4 defensive end prospect. As a run defender, he has the quickness to penetrate when he lines up inside the tackle and the strength to set the edge when he lines up on the outside. As a pass-rusher, he has the power to drive offensive tackles, but he's more effective when he reduces inside than he is coming off the edge. Wooden also shows the quick first step and heavy hands to develop into an effective interior pass-rusher. -- Steve Muench

Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Is he going to be Dean Lowery? I sure as heck hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Is he going to be Dean Lowery? I sure as heck hope so.
    I’d be happy with that. He’s got a shot. He’s not one of these later picks that you look at and can’t imagine being good. He’s got some talent.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

I guess this guy absolutely loves football and is a super hard worker and great locker room guy. Forced a lot of fumbles and runs a 4.8 at 280 pounds which is pretty good for defending screens or outside runs.
    I need to watch more of him, haven't done that yet.

I think GB has him as a DL and says he has the frame to add bulk. Lowry was 6'6" 300.

I told Harv: he plays kinda wooden.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

This is a good pick in the 4th. Has an outside chance at becoming a starter, but will probably have a decent career as a situational guy.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

He has the length that the Packers look for at 5T (6'4" with almost 34" arms), but he'll need to put on 15 pounds before he's a viable 5T.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

R4 pick, likely a lock to make the roster unless he absolutely stinks in camp. They need bodies at DL, Johnathon Ford and Chris Slayton were not quality depth last year and may not be any better this year either.
    Reed + Lowry = ~1400 snaps on defense that have to be absorbed. Wyatt and Slaton can do some of that, but not all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    He has the length that the Packers look for at 5T (6'4" with almost 34" arms), but he'll need to put on 15 pounds before he's a viable 5T.
    Packers asst. of scouting said he played at 282-285 and took off weight to run faster at the combine. Said he has the frame to carry the weight they need him at.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen