Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2023 5th Round Pick #149 QB Sean Clifford

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Out of the guys in this draft, Clifford reminds me the most of Brock Purdy. I was not high on Purdy last year. They both started for 4 years. They were both multi-year captains. They both had good first years and kind of stagnated after that—frustrating their fans. They both started a lot of games, dealt with a lot of adversity. They are similar in size. Neither has good arm strength, but they are both pretty accurate with good pocket presence and mobility. Both were projected to go undrafted. They were drafted by teams with similar offensive schemes to back up a first year starting, former first round QB.
    Well, if The Flower is trying to turn Green Bay into San Fran East, I'm fine with that - as long as he follows through on the defensive side of the ball. San Fran's success if predicated in large part on that defense.

I dunno. I put up a picture of a turd in this thread, partly in jest, but I suppose if you're really just looking for a backup QB - a questionable decision to make for a draft pick when you can get a cheap journeyman for the same job and still use that fifth rounder for someone with more upside - then I guess it's understandable, at least.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

With their cap situation, even signing a journeyman QB was going to be tough to do.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Do you think that's true after they re-negotiated Love and Savage? If so, then it makes that choice more understandable. I'm not as against the pick as I originally was - you all have convinced me that it's not a horrible pick. It's an understandable one.

But they better be pretty sure he's worthy of being the backup. If he can't really be that, then it was a wasted pick.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Do you think that's true after they re-negotiated Love and Savage? If so, then it makes that choice more understandable. I'm not as against the pick as I originally was - you all have convinced me that it's not a horrible pick. It's an understandable one.

But they better be pretty sure he's worthy of being the backup. If he can't really be that, then it was a wasted pick.
    We don't have enough to sign a decent vet QB (like Bridgewater). I doubt the moves freed up much cap space--maybe enough to resign Marcedes Lewis and/or Adrian Amos on affordable deals.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    We don't have enough to sign a decent vet QB (like Bridgewater). I doubt the moves freed up much cap space--maybe enough to resign Marcedes Lewis and/or Adrian Amos on affordable deals.
    But . . . but . . . but if Tex (and others on this topic of the sal cap) is right, as he insists he is, then can't they just cook up the cap and sign anyone they want????

Tex?

KYPack

I mentioned that in a different thread. It ain't unlimited, but yes, what needs to be done, can be done. I for one absolutely would not want Bridgewater or some other washed up vet as the back up. Clifford will not only be cheaper but better.

I also don't think they have any plan to bring back Lewis, given the two high TE picks plus a couple of UDFAs.

I'd like to see them bring back Amos, and I'm sure they could make it work cap-wise. If they have a bigger role planned for Savage, though, that might mean a no on Amos. I guess we'll see.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I mentioned that in a different thread. It ain't unlimited, but yes, what needs to be done, can be done. I for one absolutely would not want Bridgewater or some other washed up vet as the back up. Clifford will not only be cheaper but better.

I also don't think they have any plan to bring back Lewis, given the two high TE picks plus a couple of UDFAs.

I'd like to see them bring back Amos, and I'm sure they could make it work cap-wise. If they have a bigger role planned for Savage, though, that might mean a no on Amos. I guess we'll see.

Oh . . . So it’s NOT unlimited. Oh. Okay.

KYPack

Nobody's talking about going hog wild and signing a whole team full of expensive free agents, but the cap definitely isn't something to stress over. Anything that's a good idea quality-wise can get done, and assuming they're smart, will get done.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Nobody's talking about going hog wild and signing a whole team full of expensive free agents, but the cap definitely isn't something to stress over. Anything that's a good idea quality-wise can get done, and assuming they're smart, will get done.
    I am sure hardly anyone disagrees with this rationale position. Welcome to the normal crowd.

Even if he doesn't develop into something special, having the next Doug Peterson as backup QB has value.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!