Thread: 2023 5th Round Pick #159 WR Dontayvion Wicks

2023 5th Round Pick #159 WR Dontayvion Wicks

Dontayvion Wicks
    6'1"
    206 lbs
    Virginia

Pre-Draft Analysis
    Wicks is a smart route runner with the foot speed to set up his inside/outside releases and quickly gain leverage getting off the line. He ran slower than expected at the combine, but he tracks the deep ball well and threatens vertically on tape. He's an instinctive open-field runner who flashes after the catch. He dropped too many passes in 2022. -- Steve Muench

Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Reminds me of James Jones.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Prototypical GB guy but the drops scare me. I think that's PTSD from J'Mon Moore, as drops are usually streaky and highly variable from year to year. if that can be corrected he could pan out to be a good player, he has pretty good skills for a R5 guy. 2021 was a much better season for him and VA in general -- 2022 UVA had a coaching change and was a dumpster fire.

Worth a shot, right? See if a good receivers coach can help him reduce the drops?

Why not. I'm on board.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Decent value pick at this point the draft. The WR room is going to be YOUNG this season.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

I didn't love this guy's tape. I did watch two of his 2021 games--which were supposed to be better than 2022. I had a 5th round grade on him. I'll maybe watch another game or two to see if there's something I missed. DuBose is taller, had a faster 40, 10 yard split, and 3 cone.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Yep. Didn't have any cap space to sign OBJ

I don't think they will bother signing a veteran WR at this point unless there's one with something in the tank left who will take a cheap 1 year deal. 13 picks will use up a good 9M of their cap space.

Can't make up my mind about Wicks. Doesn't look explosive to me, but gets open and seems to be able to make people miss. Maybe his quickness is deceptive. Only ran a 4.62 40 but his 10 yard split (1.55) was excellent.

I'm going to rewatch this guy's film--primarily from 2021. Apparently, his hamstring injury affected his combine performance and he ran in the low 4.5s at his Pro Day--although you can take that with a grain of salt. I will say he probably had the worst drop rate in this class.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Blog Entries
    Love that guy. He has a chance to really reaally be dam good
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

The guy played well 6 days after getting a high ankle sprain. He's good and is gonna get better. Looking like a great pick, especially in R5.

Who is the better pair of picks- Reed + Wicks or Watson + Doubs?

It's early but I'm leaning R+W.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    The guy played well 6 days after getting a high ankle sprain. He's good and is gonna get better. Looking like a great pick, especially in R5.

Right now it's Reed and Wicks, but might go the other way if Watson's hamstring problems end.

Kind of interesting how they're all different.

Watson is the height/speed guy.

Wicks is the smooth route runner.

Reed is the versatile guy.

Doubs is the possession/contested catch guy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post

Long term, I'd say Doubbs is 4 and Reed is 3.
    I think Wicks might be the real deal and I am unsure on Watson because he is always hurt

If they could stay healthy I'd say Watson and WIcks are a great starting combo and Reed as the 3 offers a ton of value
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Right now it's Reed and Wicks, but might go the other way if Watson's hamstring problems end.

Kind of interesting how they're all different.

Watson is the height/speed guy.

Wicks is the smooth route runner.

Reed is the versatile guy.

Doubs is the possession/contested catch guy.
    It’s very ideal when they’re healthy. So many ways to attack.

Adding on, Kraft and Musgrave are very different too.

Musgrave, while a Jimmy Graham body/speed type, seems to have potential as a blocker, has clear deep speed for long crossers and seams. He’s kind of an all around in line TE with the option so split out wide because of speed.

And Kraft, while 6’5”, breaks down well in space and could actually be used in the backfield despite not being that 6’3” and under type that’s usually back there. He probably isn’t ideal to split out, but everything else a TE can usually do, he can do. So that opens up some options.

I don’t think you’re seeing Musgrave of Kraft in their full roles just yet because TE is such a hard spot to learn and putting them out wide (musgrave) or in the backfield (Kraft) is a huge mental load. But next year, they’re going to expand.

When everyone is healthy, Lafleur will have a lot of options as far as how he wants to attack a defense from week to week in the passing game and with his run blocking schemes.

Boy, Wicks is that guy that looks like a man amongst boys out there. He's a beast. Reminds me a little of - can I say this?- Sterling Sharpe.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That a great comparison, kinda runs the same huh.

And he’s hurt

Sharpe use to play with a broken neck