Thread: 2023 6th Round Pick #207 K Anders Carlson

2023 6th Round Pick #207 K Anders Carlson

PK
    Anders Carlson
    Auburn

Pre-Draft Analysis
    Carlson finished second in Auburn career field goals made, second in career scoring and third in career PAT made. Carlson's tough and works hard. He sustained a season-ending shoulder injury in 2022 and tore an ACL in 2021. -- Steve Muench

Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Was he the first kicker drafted?

Supposedly, his kicking tailed off after he had the ACL injury. I hope they know something about him what others don't.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Was he the first kicker drafted?
    No. The Pats, in a Sherman-esque move, traded up in the 4th to take Chad Ryland out of Maryland, who was regarded as accurate, but with limited range.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    No. The Pats, in a Sherman-esque move, traded up in the 4th to take Chad Ryland out of Maryland, who was regarded as accurate, but with limited range.
    Don’t forget the Niners took Jake Moody in the third. Wow.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

There are several teams without a kicker, so I'm not completely surprised by the kickers getting drafted, although Moody at the end of R3 was a bit higher than I think anyone thought he'd go.
    No idea if this Carlson kid is any good, I'm not impressed by his numbers or his injury history. Some people like the no-name Parker White guy who was already on the roster better. Camp battle at K and LS.

Apparently, according to ACME, Gute more-or-less said at the end of his presser that this was a Bisaccia-endorsed pick. Bisacchia worked with his brother Daniel in LV, I think, and supposedly they think Carlson's injuries the last two years really played a role in his less-than-stellar stats.

Let me just say, though, that watching kicker highlights on YouTube is a sleep-inducing activity.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I felt like they were kinda throwing Bisachia under the bus. They’re like, yeah, we didn’t want him, this is Rich’s pick. Blame him when it goes wrong.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    I felt like they were kinda throwing Bisachia under the bus. They’re like, yeah, we didn’t want him, this is Rich’s pick. Blame him when it goes wrong.
    I didn't take it that way, seemed more like they wouldn't have looked his way if Bisaccia hadn't vouched for him. I guess I took Gute at face value. It certainly doesn't seem like they are handing the kid the job though.

It's an R6 pick and considering they didn't even have a R6 pick entering the draft I think they're fine with it as long as they get a kicker whether it's Carlson, White or some other dude they bring in.
    He was a Second team All-American in 2020 before all his injuries, so maybe with better health he can return to form, but there's a pretty high probability he doesn't pan out.

High probability of not panning out is pretty standard for a low sixth round pick.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Crosby was a sixth round pick. There are no excuses. Fire Gute. And the ST coach.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    Crosby was a sixth round pick. There are no excuses. Fire Gute. And the ST coach.
    You’ve got it all wrong. Bisaccia’s going to be the interim defensive coordinator when they fire Joe Barely.

KYPack

I assumed he was being sarcastic. An R6 that doesn't pan out won't get a GM fired. Taking Brett Conway in R3 didn't get Ron Wolf fired.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    I assumed he was being sarcastic. An R6 that doesn't pan out won't get a GM fired. Taking Brett Conway in R3 didn't get Ron Wolf fired.
    Um, I was also being sarcastic. Just a little fun.

KYPack