Thread: 2023 7th Round Pick #235 RB Lew Nichols

2023 7th Round Pick #235 RB Lew Nichols

RB
    Lew Nichols III
    Central Michigan

Pre-Draft Analysis
    Nichols is a big back and patient runner who weaves in and out of gaps between the tackles. He runs with great determination and good forward lean. He led the FBS in rushing yards per game in 2021 when he was surrounded by a stronger supporting cast and was healthier. Nichols has the potential to develop into a reliable check-down option in the passing game. -- Steve Muench

Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Listed as 5'10" but measured 5'9" 220. That's a pretty thick dude. Seems like his vision and feet are pretty good. Can catch the ball, too. Don't think he's got great speed, and probably not good speed either -- gets caught from behind.
    Not a bad pick to take a flyer on, especially with AJ Dillon in his last year and Patrick Taylor (who I like) bouncing between the PS and the 53.

For you old-timers, I haven't really heard of somebody described as a "bowling ball" since the great "Human Bowling Ball" Robert Newhouse of the Dallas Cowboys in the '70's.

That guy was a really good player. Same build - short, squat, huge thighs - and defenders would for real bounce off him. It was fun to watch - that was before I detested the Cowboys.

Maybe this kid will surprise us.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Clearly a replacement for Dillon…could develop into a very good third down back.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

That highlight reel looked like a lot of 4-wide draw plays. Is he good at picking up rushers?
    I believe in God, family, Baylor University, and the Green Bay Packers.

Time to watch tape on this guy for the first time.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

After watching a couple of games from 2021, he has some nice vision, balance, and elusiveness. He caught a lot of balls, but he also had some drops and doesn't look like real natural catching the ball. I was disappointed in his pass blocking, but he has the size to develop. He danced around a bit too much in the backfield and didn't look like a great zone fit to me. There are some traits to like. It would have been interesting to see his measurables, but he had some injuries and it looks like he didn't fully test.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    For you old-timers, I haven't really heard of somebody described as a "bowling ball" since the great "Human Bowling Ball" Robert Newhouse of the Dallas Cowboys in the '70's.

That guy was a really good player. Same build - short, squat, huge thighs - and defenders would for real bounce off him. It was fun to watch - that was before I detested the Cowboys.

Maybe this kid will surprise us.
    Oh, I don't know. I've heard a few RBs described as a "bowling ball of knives" in the last 10-15 years.
    I saw some calling him 'fit Eddie Lacy' and nonsense like that, I think he has some traits they could develop and he's nice depth/competition.
    RBs can be found lots of places if you have a good OL and scheme. He's got some wear on the tires already.

He'll probably be entertaining in preseason. Nichols is better than Marc Tyler, John Crockett, or Devante Mays.
    He was the MAC Offensive Player of the Year in 2021, leading the FBS with 341 carries for 1,848 yards