Thread: 2023 7th Round Pick #256 WR Grant DuBose

2023 7th Round Pick #256 WR Grant DuBose

WR
    Grant DuBose
    6'2"
    201 lbs
    Charlotte

Pre-Draft Analysis
    DuBose is a physical and strong receiver at his best working the middle of the field. He has the body control to adjust in the air, and he's effective running goal-line fades. He flashes the ability to come down with 50-50 balls downfield and runs hard after the catch, but DuBose doesn't have the second gear to take the top off the coverage or pull away from pursuit. -- Steve Muench

Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Good with the contested catch, but not a lot of getting open. Still the Packers to someone to be the 6th or 7th receiver.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

I think Harv really liked this guy.

Watching the highlights, I liked their QB, Reynolds.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Not thrilled with this pick. He doesn’t strike me as a guy who would excel on special teams, but maybe I’m wrong. I was hoping we’d get some OL talent or more DBs at this point.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Maybe my favorite day 3 pick. I think there's a solid chance that this guy ends up being better than Wicks. I had Tom higher than Rhyan last year. Might be the same situation.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    Not thrilled with this pick. He doesn’t strike me as a guy who would excel on special teams, but maybe I’m wrong. I was hoping we’d get some OL talent or more DBs at this point.
    they picked a CB and S with a couple of the R7 picks, and there really wasn't anyone left who was likely to be better than any OL they have on the roster currently. Makes sense to take a flyer on a WR, and some scouts really like DuBose. Not sure if he has a defining trait but he's depth and competition for the group at a minimum.

Longer highlights film

"There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

He does look more explosive than Wicks, to the extent you can tell from a highlight film. Only played 2 years of college ball, and not against top competition, so still developing.

DuBose did perform well against tougher competition. He had 20 receptions for 321 yards and 3 TDs in the four games against Big 10 and ACC competition. That's a good sign for a small school player. He faced some good CBs in those games (Deonte Banks and Jakorian Bennett of Maryland, Devon Witherspoon of Illinois, and Cam Smith and Darius Rush of South Carolina).

Dubose makes some nice catches in tight coverage. You just don't see him getting separation very often. If he can improve his ability to get some separation off press coverage, I think he's got a little James Jones in him.

James Jones didn’t really get separation, and he’sa decent comp for DuBose—although I think DuBose is more athletic.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    If this guy turned out to be as good as James Jones, that would be a fabulous seventh-round pick. Hell, Jones was maybe the best third-round pick the Packers have made in the last twenty years.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    If this guy turned out to be as good as James Jones, that would be a fabulous seventh-round pick. Hell, Jones was maybe the best third-round pick the Packers have made in the last twenty years.
    He likely won't be James Jones, but I think he has a chance to surprise some folks. People say he can't separate, but he has sneaky quickness + great body control and hands. Reed ran 4.45 in the 40. DuBose ran 4.57, but DuBose's 1.52 10 yard split was actually better than Reed's 1.53 10 yard split. His other testing numbers were really solid. He was solid in vert, good in broad jump, and his 6.89 3 cone was really good at 6'2".

Don’t try to temper expectations at this time of the year, Harv. Dude is gonna be a Hall of Famer!

KYPack

I like Dubose and think he'll at a minimum stick on the PS. I worry about the lack of separation. From what I've seen he did face a good amount of man and press, likely because he wasn't a homerun threat. Great competitor, and he's quick off the line, his 10 yard split is fast but his flying 20 not so much. WRs who make a lot of contested catches on the college level don't often succeed at the pro level. He could be an exception, but the QB is likely to look elsewhere if you're not open. I think MLF could probably get him open via the scheme.

By all accounts he's a good dude and a hard worker, he might be able to hone his route running and learn to better separate. I'm rooting for him.

Screw chicks, tonight I'm hanging with DuBoyzz

Season hangs on Love (and the .... DC). Plenty of talent imo.

Good draft for a weak draft class

Exactly
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

We have 8 first round picks on defense. But 50% of first round picks bust. So we have 4 good players. 8 first round picks isn’t what ya’ll are making it out to be.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.