Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Packers Picks I Liked

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Sounds like some of ya'all are coming around to what I've always been saying about much of the media hahahaha.
    No one is coming anywhere near your position on the media.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    Does this give you hope? They drafted where they mostly had holes and Pundits love that shit.
    I rarely like a Green Bay draft but I did like this one. We had a shithole of gaps in our roster and drafted athletes in volume to fill our holes and get faster. I would give gutebag a high grade this year and that’s rare for me
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Sounds like some of ya'all are coming around to what I've always been saying about much of the media hahahaha.
    You are kidding right ? Lol

At least we don’t have to listen to that god dam media whore Kurt out his falsities and create drama every Tuesday anymore
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I don’t like journalists very much either. They’re total ass holes and they say they’re just doing their job. Well, find a job where it’s not your responsibility to be a piece of shit then. Quit or be decent.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

I guess we're getting a picture of who some of the swallowers of media shit are and who aren't.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    I don’t like journalists very much either. They’re total ass holes and they say they’re just doing their job. Well, find a job where it’s not your responsibility to be a piece of shit then. Quit or be decent.
    Yeah! They’re all idiots! Horrible human beings! They’re not even really human! Every single one!

Yeah, that’s it. Sure.

Very thoughtful. Nuanced.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Journalist are a direct product of what people consume. People reading the crap articles so they can complain about it are the source of problem.

Moving on.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Yeah! They’re all idiots! Horrible human beings! They’re not even really human! Every single one!

Yeah, that’s it. Sure.

Very thoughtful. Nuanced.
    I’ll credit the packers.com reporters for doing good. It’s their job to show support when guys make a mistake of have a hard time. The great majority of the rest just love to kick people when they’re down and I don’t support it at all.

I’m cool with people here talking shit about players. The guys aren’t going to see it, most likely. It’s not hurtful. But to publicly rip someone who’s doing their best. I don’t like that, at all. It’s a grimy job. Find another profession.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    I’m cool with people here talking shit about players. The guys aren’t going to see it, most likely. It’s not hurtful. But to publicly rip someone who’s doing their best. I don’t like that, at all. It’s a grimy job. Find another profession.
    If it's deserved and not personal, it's fair game. It's certainly better than what people say about players out on Twitter.
    I agree media will write more of what is consumed - that's why you have "listicles" and opinion pieces that are basically hot-take clickbait. Generally I avoid that stuff because that's what it is. From what I've seen with JSO, Pete Dougherty tends to write opinion pieces, Silverstein writes the stories. As for Packers.com reports, I like Spofford and WesHod but they are employees of the Green Bay Packers, so they are going to give very measured takes. They are usually fair but I take it with a grain of salt.

The national writers tend to get scoops from the agent or star player because it gets national exposure which is beneficial to them, so that can be informative but otherwise those guys are national writers and don't know or follow the team so their takes are usually off (see my comment earlier re: Vinny Iyer).

I don't think media or journalists are garbage, but a few of them are bad. To me, that's like saying cops or teachers are bad. They serve a function.
    If you know who the bad ones are, avoid them. If people didn't give them clicks they'd go away.

And like I said, next-day draft grades are dumb.

They are in the same bucket as politicians and lawyers for me. Not all are a bad, but most have an agenda—that most like to hide.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Tex takes it a little far, but there are a lot of people who don’t respect the profession generally. Of course, there are exceptions, but a lot of us don’t like the media, generally.

Just read the articles that keep showing up. Most of the bastards are ignorant. They don't know as much about OUR team as most of us, like RG said. And worse, they have a God damned agenda to stir up trouble. Not football in this case, but now I see outlandish crap about how Giannis should go somewhere else, some damned east or west coast team maybe ..... sheeeeesh, that after all the shit they stirred up about Rodgers. If that ain't enough to make you hate and distrust the shitheads, then you ain't much of a home team fan.

And yeah, I know continuing to read the damned click bait contributes to the problem, but I like to think raining rotten comments on them in here and other venues makes up for my complicity.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Cripes, how many Bears fans did we draft? Van Ness, Reed, and Clifford all Bears fans.
    lol

That reminds me that the Bears draft sucked.

..... but it's the best favor we can do for these Bears fans is bring them deliverance to a real team. lol

This thread seems to be more popular than the "didn't like" thread so I'll consolidate.

Things I didn't like. I'm not nearly as excited about the later rounds as I was last year. I loved the Tom and Enagbare picks from the jump. I also think Walker and Ford in the 7th were great value. This years later picks didn't excite me at all, but I could see several being contributors without any of them being genuine starters.

That being said we had the advantage of picking early in the first 3 rounds and it paid off. LVN is the real deal. If he improves off his awesome bull rush the sky is the limit. Kraft was an absolute steal in the 3rd. Probably the best value of any pick we made. Musgrave is probably a late first in a lot of drafts. We capitalized big time on the TE depth in this draft. Reed I'm not high on. I just don't see his skill set translating. Slot return guys who are somewhat smallish probably have as high of a 1st/2nd round bust rate as any position in the game. I get why they traded back 2x though because no one in that area was exciting. I feel like Gutes is trying to force someone into that gadget role even if the right guy isn't available.

Overall I'm not disappointed with the picks. Its just that only the top 3 of 4 really make me think they will be long term starters.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    They are in the same bucket as politicians and lawyers for me. Not all are a bad, but most have an agenda—that most like to hide.
    Man don’t force me to hold you to the same standards as Tex. Same for anyone else veering off topic above.

The LVN pick is... fine. He fits almost exactly what GB likes at Edge, he's athletic with plenty of upside and he's young at 21.

I really like the receiver picks: Musgrave, Reed, Kraft, Wicks, Dubose. I feel pretty confident they will get at least 2 good players out of that group. Will take some patience though, rookies rarely make an immediate impact.
    The rest of the picks don't do a lot for me.

I don't know much about specific picks, but I kinda like the strategy of picking multiple guys at a position of need. You draft three wide receivers, you gotta think one will work out, anyway. You draft two tight ends pretty high, you figure one will work out.

Now let's watch Guter do that next year at safety.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    This thread seems to be more popular than the "didn't like" thread so I'll consolidate.

Things I didn't like. I'm not nearly as excited about the later rounds as I was last year. I loved the Tom and Enagbare picks from the jump. I also think Walker and Ford in the 7th were great value. This years later picks didn't excite me at all, but I could see several being contributors without any of them being genuine starters.

That being said we had the advantage of picking early in the first 3 rounds and it paid off. LVN is the real deal. If he improves off his awesome bull rush the sky is the limit. Kraft was an absolute steal in the 3rd. Probably the best value of any pick we made. Musgrave is probably a late first in a lot of drafts. We capitalized big time on the TE depth in this draft. Reed I'm not high on. I just don't see his skill set translating. Slot return guys who are somewhat smallish probably have as high of a 1st/2nd round bust rate as any position in the game. I get why they traded back 2x though because no one in that area was exciting. I feel like Gutes is trying to force someone into that gadget role even if the right guy isn't available.

Overall I'm not disappointed with the picks. Its just that only the top 3 of 4 really make me think they will be long term starters.
    I don't know. I thought the Carrington pick was an absolute steal in the 7th this year.

Why did you like that pick? I just read about the kid, and it seems he is better at playing man - and of course Joe Barely plays mostly zone.

A coaching mentor from years ago told me that a good coach adapts his system to his players' strengths. But that was high school basketball, way back when, when high school teams (except for schools like Dunbar and DeMatha in Maryland, where I coached) couldn't recruit players, so you had what you had.

But when you are an NFL team and have a coach and system in place, you can draft guys that will flourish in that system. So I'm not sure how Carrington Valentine fits into that.

KYPack