Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Packers Picks I Liked

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Royce and Myers have been sliding down the ladder so much the last 18 months, I kinda have to wonder... what the hell?
    I agree. In the fake gameday thread I lament the super strength and depth of the OL disappearing overnight.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Another bum snap from Myers. Sorry, Tex. He’s messed up, PTSD from Rodgers or something. Also it looks like Van Ness is very much a long term work in progress.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Right now LVN's best move is his bull rush. Not a bad thing to have, but he needs to add other moves. He may be most effective right now as an inside rusher, ala Z. Not sure he's been doing much of that in preseason games.

He did have a nice bull rush on the play where Enagbare got his strip sack. LVN might have had the sack if Enagbare hadn't gotten there first. https://twitter.com/i/status/1693065675437178974
    Last edited by Joemailman; 08-20-2023 at 11:34 PM.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Myers snapped early because he thought someone on the DL jumped. Myers thought wrong. It's correctable.
    Most of the recent snap issues were apparently with the #2 and #3 OL's, and not in shotgun. All the same, Myers needs to step it up.

But he’s not a rook here. Dude guessed wrong on that early snap. By now, these bad snaps - to anyone - have to be concerning.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    But he’s not a rook here. Dude guessed wrong on that early snap. By now, these bad snaps - to anyone - have to be concerning.
    If hhe's going to snap the ball early, he has to be sure that guy jumped offsides. He can't just guess. The only way he's not at fault here is if the guy was clearly offsides and Myers was victimized by a really bad non-call by the officials.

Its becoming an Amari Rodgers type thing. How long do they tolerate it and wait for the course correction before it starts to cost them real games? I like Myers more than most, but he is not acquitting himself very well this preseason. Guys need to be accountable. If he can't be more effective he needs to be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    If he's going to snap the ball early, he has to be sure that guy jumped offsides. He can't just guess. The only way he's not at fault here is if the guy was clearly offsides and Myers was victimized by a really bad non-call by the officials.
    Edit: I watched the replay on DVR. The defender barely flinched. He was not offside.

Myers may need to adjust to the fact that Love is not as obsessed with catching teams offsides as Rodgers was. Just stick with the play unless the offsides is really obvious.

Myers continues to be an excellent run blocker and an average or above average pass blocker. The bad snap was a mistake, a mistake in preseason - get over it. Everybody's pet OLine guy, Tom, made a couple of mistakes in that game too. What do ya'all want? Damned Jake Hanson at Center? sheeesh
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Myers continues to be an excellent run blocker and an average or above average pass blocker. The bad snap was a mistake - get over it. Everybody's pet OLine guy, Tom, made a couple of mistakes in that game too. What do ya'all want? Damned Jake Hanson at Center? sheeesh
    Nobody wants Jake Hanson there. But Tom is a real option. They will stick with Myers for now. But if Rasheed Walker continues to improve, putting Walker or Yosh at RT and Tom at C could happen.

I don't think Tom has shown the inside run blocking strength that Meyers has, not even close. I like Walker. If he improves enough, move Tom back to the "6th man" - back up all along the O Line.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Edit: I watched the replay on DVR. The defender barely flinched. He was not offside.

Myers may need to adjust to the fact that Love is not as obsessed with catching teams offsides as Rodgers was. Just stick with the play unless the offsides is really obvious.
    I only catch the Packer games that come on over-the-air in Alabama, but I (selectively?) remember a lot of offsides or substitution penalties that could have happened in 2022 if we had snapped the ball but we let our opponents get reset.
    I believe in God, family, Baylor University, and the Green Bay Packers.

Myers continues to be an excellent run blocker and an average or above average pass blocker. The bad snap was a mistake, a mistake in preseason - get over it. Everybody's pet OLine guy, Tom, made a couple of mistakes in that game too. What do ya'all want? Damned Jake Hanson at Center? sheeesh
    Myers is a bad run blocker if there is a player lined up over him. He is average at stopping a strong bull rush at best. He is elite at second level run blocking. The problem is that teams watch film and its not long before every team lines someone up on his nose.

Edit: And this is what I meant when I said some guys excuse mistakes as a one off. Myers has had 2 bad snaps in games and another 4? in camp. Its now a pattern.

I don't think Tom has shown the inside run blocking strength that Meyers has, not even close. I like Walker. If he improves enough, move Tom back to the "6th man" - back up all along the O Line.
    Tom has shown it (and more), but if you haven't seen it, I reiterate my point.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Myers is a bad run blocker if there is a player lined up over him. He is average at stopping a strong bull rush at best. He is elite at second level run blocking. The problem is that teams watch film and its not long before every team lines someone up on his nose.

Edit: And this is what I meant when I said some guys excuse mistakes as a one off. Myers has had 2 bad snaps in games and another 4? in camp. Its now a pattern.
    Some think Myers would be better off at Guard. It won't happen this year, but with Runyan being a free agent in 2024, a possibility for the future.

The wide receiver battle is getting more and more interestinger. Wicks seemed to have done enough to warrant a spot, along with his being a fifth round pick or whatever he was. - but now he's hurt. Dubose is showing up a bit after being hurt. Toure seems pretty good though you don't hear a lot. Bo Melton is hurt now. And Malik Heath is drawing comparisons to The Lizard - and has not been hurt, knock on wood. Do they keep a sixth guy when they seem determined to play a lot of two-tight-end stuff? If so, who? If not, could Heath displace Toure?

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    The wide receiver battle is getting more and more interestinger. Wicks seemed to have done enough to warrant a spot, along with his being a fifth round pick or whatever he was. - but now he's hurt. Dubose is showing up a bit after being hurt. Toure seems pretty good though you don't hear a lot. Bo Melton is hurt now. And Malik Heath is drawing comparisons to The Lizard - and has not been hurt, knock on wood. Do they keep a sixth guy when they seem determined to play a lot of two-tight-end stuff? If so, who? If not, could Heath displace Toure?
    Agree WR competition is interesting. I think Toure and Wicks are safe bets to make the roster. If they keep 6 it comes down to Debose and Heath. Thing is, Bisaccia plays safeties over WRs on ST, and Heath hasn't played a snap with Love. Now, I think he's done almost everything possible to earn a spot on the 53, but he might lose out to the numbers. Or not - Wicks has been in and out of practice with injuries, it's possible things work themselves out that way.

Dubose is another one to watch. He was on NFI with a back injury for so long, I wonder if they stash him on the PS. Gute hasn't cut many draft picks and seems willing to give rookies a lot of leash so who knows.

I supposse one of the major factors in the decision-making is trying to calculate whether or not you can sneak a guy through to get him on the PS. Oddly, teams might be more inclined to grab Heath than Dubose if both are exposed to waivers, even though Dubose was a draft pick and Heath was an undrafted free agent. The other option is to use fake-ish injuries to stash a guy on IR for the season. Wouldn't surprise me if one of those guys surprisingly suffered a season-ending injury in the next five days.

Brenton Cox is another guy you have to consider the calculus for. With the need for edge rushers, would someone grab him since he's shown in GB, so far at least, that he can be a good citizen? And then there is also Jonathan Ford - they invested a roster spot all last season in a guy who never played at all, so do you now cut him loose and hope no one picks him up, or do you keep him and piss off Bisaccia by cutting a ST guy who may be on the fringe, say a safety he likes or a corner or linebacker?

Decision, decisions.

KYPack

I think every team has an unheralded player or two who shines in camp and people worry about whether he'll get scooped up on waivers or off the practice squad. IIRC something like 10 players got claimed on roster cutdowns last year across the league, so your odds are pretty slim of 'losing' a player. I used to worry and wonder about that stuff. If someone claims Emanuel Wilson, odds are Patrick Taylor won't get claimed and they will still have a RB3 (and probably RB4 with Tyler Goodson). Those guys don't play much and usually don't have much developmental upside anyway. If they are getting time with the 1's in camp or playing a lot of ST they are likely on the roster. After that, it's guys who are depth.

I think it's a coin flip between Dubose and Heath. Heath has had a better offseason (on the basis of Dubose's injury) but Dubose is a draft pick and Gute likes those.
    Brenton Cox has been quiet of late, at least by camp reports and the NE game. I wonder if he's actually fighting with Johnathon Ford (DL) for one spot. Both have shown good things, but if LVN can play on the DL then maybe you need another EDGE more than you need another DL?

Safety could be wild. Anyone outside of Savage could be the starter or could be on the street. If Gute scoops anyone up after roster cuts, that might be the place. I know Leavitt is Bisaccia's guy and I hear he's a great leader on teams but if Tariq Carpenter can do what he does, do you keep both? Do they need 5 safeties?

Has Dubose done anything to make him a "coin flip" with Heath - who has looked great?

I really HOPE they keep both Patrick Taylor AND Emanuel Wilson. Both seemed to pass up Goodson, and I really hope they do NOT keep a fullback other than DeGuara who basically is a backup TE. There really ought to be room for 4 RBs, 6 WRs, 3 TEs if you count DeGuara as a TE. The gameday rules make it unnecessary to keep a 3rd QB. How many OLinemen? 9? That's 2 + 4 + 6 + 3+ 9 = 24 on offense + 3 Special Teamers = 27.

That leaves 26 for Defense. 6 DLine, 4 ILB, 4 OLB and that leaves an incredible 12 spots for DBs - or maybe an extra LB or two. I really don't see where we need to make very many tough choices.