Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Packers Picks I Liked

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Has Dubose done anything to make him a "coin flip" with Heath - who has looked great?
    Dubose has really come on lately after having a back injury. I think they want to keep both. Some people think they might keep 7 WR's, which they can do if the keep just 3 TE's.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Has Dubose done anything to make him a "coin flip" with Heath - who has looked great?

I really HOPE they keep both Patrick Taylor AND Emanuel Wilson. Both seemed to pass up Goodson, and I really hope they do NOT keep a fullback other than DeGuara who basically is a backup TE. There really ought to be room for 4 RBs, 6 WRs, 3 TEs if you count DeGuara as a TE. The gameday rules make it unnecessary to keep a 3rd QB. How many OLinemen? 9? That's 2 + 4 + 6 + 3+ 9 = 24 on offense + 3 Special Teamers = 27.

That leaves 26 for Defense. 6 DLine, 4 ILB, 4 OLB and that leaves an incredible 12 spots for DBs - or maybe an extra LB or two. I really don't see where we need to make very many tough choices.
    Funny, sometimes they keep a guy who's just a special teamer and backs up at a position of need, but is not anyone special (I'm thinking of Pearson, the fullback, here), and cuts a guy who seems to have more potential (like Cox or Heath). It happens.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I don't know what the rationale is for keeping 4RBs on the roster. They rostered 2 last year. Pearson might stick around if Deguara isn't healthy. I've heard that GB has been using a FB or lead blocker quite a bit, even running out of the I formation. I think they'd be more likely to roster Pearson and Deguara than Wilson and Taylor, but that would only be if Deguara's calf injury makes him unavailable.

Losing Tyler Davis hurt them.

RBs are so undervalued right now, and the way the PS is nowadays you can stash 2 or 3 of them and call them up 3 times each before you have to sign or waive them. Over 17 weeks that's a lot of call-ups and can give you a lot of flexibility based on how you want to attack your next opponent's defense. I think they'll keep 9 OL, maybe 10 depending on who they like and how much. L.Tenuta and C.Jones being hurt and Hanson getting waived injured probably clears a few things up. Bakhtiari, Jenkins, Myers, JRJ, Tom, Njiman, Walker, Rhyan, probably Newman makes 9, and you IR Tenuta and try to sneak Jones on the PS?

No way they go with 4 RB's. They can safely get Wilson to PS. I think Deguara had a good day of practice yesterday, but Pearson has a knee injury. He probably goes to PS. Today in practice starting OL was Bakhtiari/Jenkins/Tom/Runyan/Walker. Something to watch for on Saturday. I think Newman and Jones are in a fight for #9 OL spot. Tenuta may be going to IR. Heath, Toure and Dubose may be in a fight for #6 WR spot. Heath did get some reps with the 1's today. Looking like Rudy Ford favorite to start along with Savage.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    No way they go with 4 RB's. They can safely get Wilson to PS. I think Deguara had a good day of practice yesterday, but Pearson has a knee injury. He probably goes to PS. Today in practice starting OL was Bakhtiari/Jenkins/Tom/Runyan/Walker. Something to watch for on Saturday. I think Newman and Jones are in a fight for #9 OL spot. Tenuta may be going to IR. Heath, Toure and Dubose may be in a fight for #6 WR spot. Heath did get some reps with the 1's today. Looking like Rudy Ford favorite to start along with Savage.
    We will know the offensive line depth has improved when they cut Royce Newman. That guy just makes too many mistakes. Probably a great guy and all, but he just is not consistent enough.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I think they will keep Jones, mostly for next year, but also to use as an ineligible TE on short yardage plays. DuBose looks interesting, and surprisingly decent for missing so much time. However, I think they can get him on the practice squad. He hasn't forced his way on the 53.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Why do you think they won't keep 4 RBs. As I showed in my earlier post, we can easily keep 4 RBs, 6 WRs, 3 TEs, and still have a helluva lot of spots left for D - like 27 D players.

I would think Toure and Heath are a lock for #4 and 5 WR with Wicks probably ahead of Dubose for #6.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Why do you think they won't keep 4 RBs. As I showed in my earlier post, we can easily keep 4 RBs, 6 WRs, 3 TEs, and still have a helluva lot of spots left for D - like 27 D players.

I would think Toure and Heath are a lock for #4 and 5 WR with Wicks probably ahead of Dubose for #6.
    They won't keep 4 RB's because they have no no need for 4 and they never do. Last year they only kept 2. They'll likely keep 3 with Wilson and Goodson on PS.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    . The gameday rules make it unnecessary to keep a 3rd QB.
    Actually, after Mr. Irrelevant spent the entire second half of the NFC Title game handing the rock off with a broken elbow, the NFL has brought back the emergency third QB. Thus, the 3rd QB ain’t so unnecessary anymore.

As for the 53, it is looking probable that the Packers will be fielding an all-white TE corps for the first time since 1962.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

They won't keep 4 RB's because they have no no need for 4 and they never do. Last year they only kept 2. They'll likely keep 3 with Wilson and Goodson on PS.
    Agree. They won't keep 4. Your RB3 is mostly a ST guy and Wilson hasn't taken many ST snaps in camp. Not sure how he would make it as RB4. There's not many times you'll sit both Jones and Dillon, there aren't snaps for a RB4, especially with depth needs elsewhere and Bisaccia's penchant for using safeties on ST. If (for example) Dillon gets hurt they can elevate someone off the PS.

I think the WRs are Watson, Doubs, Reed, Toure, Wicks and one of Heath/Dubose. I'd be surprised if they only kept 5 WRs but I don't know that they'll keep 7. It's kind of a fringe/end of roster thing, and again Bisaccia uses more defensive players on ST. They aren't cutting Wicks. He's a R5 pick who -- when healthy -- has flashed big play abililty at times. He also got tossed into the lineup with the 1's for a few snaps as soon as he came back from the concussion. They clearly like him. I think it's a coin flip between Heath and Dubose, but I'd probably take Heath and try to get Dubose on the PS. I think there's more tape and buzz around Heath and if cut would get more interest from other teams.
    Last edited by run pMc; 08-25-2023 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Agree. They won't keep 4. Your RB3 is mostly a ST guy and Wilson hasn't taken many ST snaps in camp. Not sure how he would make it as RB4. There's not many times you'll sit both Jones and Dillon, there aren't snaps for a RB4, especially with depth needs elsewhere and Bisaccia's penchant for using safeties on ST. If (for example) Dillon gets hurt they can elevate someone off the PS.

I think the WRs are Watson, Doubs, Reed, Toure, Wicks and one of Heath/Dubose. I'd be surprised if they only kept 5 WRs but I don't know that they'll keep 7. It's kind of a fringe/end of roster thing, and again Bisaccia uses more defensive players on ST. They aren't cutting Wicks. He's a R5 pick who -- when healthy -- has flashed big play abililty at times. He also got tossed into the lineup with the 1's for a few snaps as soon as he came back from the concussion. They clearly like him. I think it's a coin flip between Heath and Dubose, but I'd probably take Heath and try to get Dubose on the PS. I think there's more tape and buzz around Heath and if cut would get more interest from other teams.
    This seems like an accurate analysis of both positions. Given Bisaccia's penchant for using safeties on ST, Wilson might get the axe in hopes he can land on the PS, while Patrick Taylor gets the #3 job (his special teams value) and Savage and Ford, with Leavitt and some combination of Owens, Moore or maybe Johnson (though he may be a candidate for that "Surprise! He's suffered a season-ending injury!" designation that happens to a guy or two every year).

Seems to me that they could keep six DL (including Ford), six edge guys, four inside linebackers, five corners, and five safeties. That's twenty-six dudes. A punter and kicker - two more. Then Two QB's, three RB's, nine offensive linemen, three TE's, and six WR's. that's fifty-one guys. That gives you two positions you can add to. An extra offensive lineman? One more WR? Who knows?

KYPack

A lot of people think the Packers will go "run first". Even more people, it seems, WANT more running/less passing. As good as Aaron Jones is, he's not huge, not super sturdy. Even Dillon - who ain't the kind of RB I prefer - seems to get a few nagging injuries. IMO, we should have a rotation - bring in fresh Patrick Taylor and Emanuel Wilson, both of whom have shown they can run with NFL quality. Keep Jones healthy, Dillon too (although him I don't care so much about).

As I've explained at least twice now, it's EASY to keep 4 RBs and 6 WRs and 3 TEs and 9 O Linemen, and still have plenty - like 27 spots - for the D side, way more than probably would be needed. Hopefully, IMO probably, LaFleur, Gutekunst, etc. will see it this way. I wouldn't even rule out 5 RBs on the 53.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    This seems like an accurate analysis of both positions. Given Bisaccia's penchant for using safeties on ST, Wilson might get the axe in hopes he can land on the PS, while Patrick Taylor gets the #3 job (his special teams value) and Savage and Ford, with Leavitt and some combination of Owens, Moore or maybe Johnson (though he may be a candidate for that "Surprise! He's suffered a season-ending injury!" designation that happens to a guy or two every year).

Seems to me that they could keep six DL (including Ford), six edge guys, four inside linebackers, five corners, and five safeties. That's twenty-six dudes. A punter and kicker - two more. Then Two QB's, three RB's, nine offensive linemen, three TE's, and six WR's. that's fifty-one guys. That gives you two positions you can add to. An extra offensive lineman? One more WR? Who knows?
    Don't forget about a long snapper.

While what you're saying makes sense, remember that the league trend is to really prefer backs on rookie/budget deals. If Wilson displays he's a halfway decent pass protector, and has a good game today against the Seahawks, he could easily get picked up.

Quote Originally Posted by SudsMcBucky View Post
    Don't forget about a long snapper.
    Ah, good catch.

KYPack

3 K,P,LS, 2 QBs, 4 RBs, 6 WRs, 3 TEs including DeGuara, 9 O Line, that adds up to 27.

That leaves 26 for D. The breakdown somebody posted above seems about right - 6 D Line, 6 Edge (that's a LOT of edge rushers), 4 ILB, 5 Corners, 5 Safetys. Maybe one less edge, one more DB.

The point is, there are very few or no tough choices to make. We can and should EASILY be able to keep 4 RBs and 6 WRs.

I heard Heath has gotten time with the 1's now. I think he makes the roster. He's played too well all offseason

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    I heard Heath has gotten time with the 1's now. I think he makes the roster. He's played too well all offseason
    He started in place of Doubs today which probably means he's made the team.

I would think so. Wicks to IR? Dubose to PS?

KYPack

What happened to Wicks? I haven't seen anything about an injury.