Thread: Picks I Didn't Like From the Packers

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar

Picks I Didn't Like From the Packers

Sean Clifford QB 5th Round
    Ouch, the guys is literally doesn't have an above average quality about him as a QB, maybe leadership. He has some ability to work the pocket and gain yards with his feet. I just wouldn't have burned a 5th round draft pick on him when he could have easily been a 7th rounder. This was the pick we got from trading down in the second round.

Anders Carlson K 6th Round
    What the hell the guy was out all year with an ACL, and he didn't exactly have a great leg or accuracy to begin with. I am starting to understand that the Packers decided to draft guys that would regularly be street free agents because they know they don't have the cap space to sign them. I am not sure how all the draft pundits like the Packers draft when they drafted a kicker.

Lew Nichols Jr RB 7th Round
    Truly don't really know a lot about him other than he led the FBS in rushing two years ago and then was basically hurt all of last year. It seemed to be a theme for the Packers, drafting guys that missed significant time in 2022. That's my issue with the pick.

none of the undrafted Free agents count towards the cap so the no money excuse is not really a thing

I agree with all of your comments.....
    Did Travis Dye RB USC sign somewhere I think I would have preferred picking him up vs what we picked

In 2022 Nichols may have been banged up from the 2021 season. In 2021 he carried the ball about 350 times and had 40 receptions. Hopefully he just needs some time for his body to recover.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jklowan View Post
    none of the undrafted Free agents count towards the cap so the no money excuse is not really a thing
    The signing bonus does, and thats how you draw in the undrafted free agents.

Pretty sure the Packers can afford 100k bonuses with their cap situation. But yeah, it’s tight enough for a year or two that maybe they’re pinching pennys.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

I can't disagree. Hopefully, Clifford pulls a Purdy. I don't think leg strength is the issue with Carlson, but I don't know much about him. If his brother is any indicator, it won't be. Nichols looked awful last year, but better the year before. We'll see. Packers took a flyer that injuries were the culprit. The Packers generally like big RBs, and there weren't many in this draft. Bijan, Charbonnet, Miller, Roschon Johnson, and Tank went earlier than they were going to take a RB. That left Abanikanda in the middle rounds or a flyer on Rodriguez, Prince, Nichols, Peoples, or Evans late. I don't see much difference between Nichols and those guys. I probably would have leaned Prince, but would take Nichols over the other guys.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    In 2022 Nichols may have been banged up from the 2021 season. In 2021 he carried the ball about 350 times and had 40 receptions. Hopefully he just needs some time for his body to recover.
    I heard he lost some guys on the OL and he had an ankle injury in 2022. The production dropoff going from 2021 to 2022 likely caused him to drop a bit.
    Production dropoffs seemed to be a theme with some of the picks (Nichols, Wicks, Reed). Hopefully they can rebound and stay healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    Pretty sure the Packers can afford 100k bonuses with their cap situation. But yeah, it’s tight enough for a year or two that maybe they’re pinching pennys.
    They are definitely pinching pennies. They've cooked every contract they can by restructuring, and are still going to be very tight against the cap.
    People don't realize it's not realistic to enter Week 1 with your cap space at $0. There are performance escalators for late round picks who play a lot, there are in-season pickups and signings -- especially if injury bug hits, in-season extensions, trades where salaries might not line up, etc. Packers don't have a lot of space for those things either, not after signing all these draft picks.

Saving 100k here and there could add up and help them open the door to bringing Amos back if he gets no FA interest and they decide to sign him to a 1 year deal with a void year (yuck).

I think with the Love and Savage deals they're trying to clear some room to sign someone - maybe Amos - and have enough for the season. I understand they assigned no one the previous numbers of Cobb, Amos, and Lewis, so maybe they have hopes of signing one or more than one of them.

Be funny if they signed Lewis and Cobb. Whaddya think, Aaron?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

What's not to like at this point?

I have doubts about several of the picks, Carlson, Nickels, Wicks, even Reed. All of them, though, have upsides - tangible reason to hope that the Packer brass know more than obvious on the surface.

As for the cap situation, as I always have said, things can always be done. Sure, there are limits, but it clearly can be managed, cooked if you want to call it that.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Well, we all know the pattern: a couple of the later-round rooks, even some late-rounders or UDFA's, will shine in early practices, and we'll get all excited. Then a couple or a few of those same late-rounders or UDFA's will really shine in the pre-season games, and we'll get even more excited, and start talking about how much they'll contribute during the regular season.

Then they'll either get cut or stashed on the PS, or, if they make the roster, they won't play much if at all.

There's the occasional Sam Shields as an exception, but that's how it mostly goes.

But maybe this is the year we get two Sam Shieldses!
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    They are definitely pinching pennies. They've cooked every contract they can by restructuring, and are still going to be very tight against the cap.
    People don't realize it's not realistic to enter Week 1 with your cap space at $0. There are performance escalators for late round picks who play a lot, there are in-season pickups and signings -- especially if injury bug hits, in-season extensions, trades where salaries might not line up, etc. Packers don't have a lot of space for those things either, not after signing all these draft picks.

Saving 100k here and there could add up and help them open the door to bringing Amos back if he gets no FA interest and they decide to sign him to a 1 year deal with a void year (yuck).
    I am definitely no expert, but I do deal with budgets and projections based on 1 year, 3 year and 5-year plans - updated every 6 months. Packers are most assuredly watching the pennies, nickels and dimes. In the short term in any case.

The DL guys (Wooden and Brooks) are... I dunno. They both are upside guys who have a lot to learn, and may be pressed into roles before they are ready.
    Jerry Montgomery has been the DL coach since... what, 2018? Has he produced any good DL in that time? TJ Slaton? He's gonna earn his money this year with two rookie DLs potentially taking up a lot of snaps.

Didn't care for the QB, K picks. I understand them, but still am underwhelmed. Hopefully they are pleasant surprises.

The CB in R7 is kind of a weird pick, I guess he's a press-man corner and Barry doesn't play press-man. I think he's raw and could play ST but is pretty far from ready DJ Moore.

Yeah, unless they picked Conrad Valentine for special teams work, it's a weird, weird pick. Drafting a guy whose skills don't fit your defensive scheme.

Unless they think he can learn?

KYPack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYEwDLOEHDw

In fairness, this video makes him look pretty good. Never saw this version of him for GB. Did Rodgers or MLF ruin him?

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Yeah, unless they picked Conrad Valentine for special teams work, it's a weird, weird pick. Drafting a guy whose skills don't fit your defensive scheme.

Unless they think he can learn?
    I think he's a ST/developmental pick. He's a good athlete and has the measurables.
    Random thought: with Stokes likely to be on the PUP to start, CV could be one injury away from starting at one of the outside corner spots. I suppose they'd could put Nixon outside and Savage in the slot, but then who are the safeties? Ford and Owens? Meh I guess safety will be a mess regardless.

IIRC Barry's contract is up after this year and based on Gute's comments re: expectations for the defense, it wouldn't shock me if the team goes 7-10 and MLF needs a scapegoat so Barry isn't back. Some other DC comes in and Valentine's skills could become more in-demand and he's in a good spot to compete.

Quote Originally Posted by QBME View Post
    I am definitely no expert, but I do deal with budgets and projections based on 1 year, 3 year and 5-year plans - updated every 6 months. Packers are most assuredly watching the pennies, nickels and dimes. In the short term in any case.
    Agree. The other thing with the R7 picks is, if you like a player that much why wait for them to be a UDFA to throw a bigger signing bonus at them?
    Grant Dubose was picked #256 (Mr. Irrelevant was #259) and he got a $77K bonus. Those UDFAs are unlikely to even make your PS, why throw away the money when you're tight against the cap from eating a ton of dead money already?