Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Official OTA/Minicamp Thread

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    "Hey Luke! All we gotta do is beat out DeGuara and Tyler Davis!

85: “When’s the last time an NFL team fielded an ALL-WHITE tight end corps?”

88: “Dunno. 1963, I guess. DeGuara is Italian, so if he makes the team, I guess he counts as ‘colored’.”
    Last edited by Anti-Polar Bear; 05-16-2023 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Flipping burgers.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    To paraphrase Master P:

I used to hang with J-Mike. Used to bang with J-Mike. Even slang with J-Mike. Goddamn, I miss J-Mike.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Matt Schneidman
    @mattschneidman
    Packers veterans who I don’t spot at the first open practice of voluntary OTAs:

Dallin Leavitt
    Jaire Alexander
    Rasul Douglas
    Jonathan Garvin
    David Bakhtiari
    Elgton Jenkins
    Preston Smith

Eric Stokes and Rashan Gary are here but not going through drills.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Who cares about Jordan Love and the OL, give us all the news about the long snapper battle and Jakadis Bonds.

Saw an article about Samari Toure's rebuilt body and newfound steely reserve, but the most interesting part was just a note at the end that last season his teammates called him "Captain Casual."

Ouch.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

In total, it was a hot-and-cold day for Love. Rather, it was a cold-and-hot day. He went 1-of-4 on his first series of plays, then 2-of-5 in a third-down drill in the red zone that failed to gain a first down or find the end zone.

He fell to 3-of-12 following a 0-for-3 series that included drops by Aaron Jones and Dillon.

Love got going late in practice, though. During a second red zone period, Love connected with Christian Watson for a touchdown against Keisean Nixon – Watson went to the flat before turning his route inside and made the catch in the back of the end zone – as well as scores to Romeo Doubs and Samori Toure.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Saw an article about Samari Toure's rebuilt body and newfound steely reserve, but the most interesting part was just a note at the end that last season his teammates called him "Captain Casual."

Ouch.
    Being named captain in your rookie year is a big deal!!
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Being named captain in your rookie year is a big deal!!

Ouch.
    Rodgers gave him that name last year, but also commented that by end of year Toure had picked up his intensity.

Andy Herman
    @AndyHermanNFL

It’s OTAs. There’s no pads. It means next to nothing. We all remember DJ Williams…

But Luke Musgrave looks fantastic today. Quick, soft hands, body control, over the shoulder catch deep down the field. He’s been as advertised.

Andy Herman
    @AndyHermanNFL

Packers starters in team

Love
    Jones
    Reed - Doubs - Watson
    Deguara
    C. jones - Elgton - Myers - JRJ - Tom

Andy Herman
    @AndyHermanNFL

Defense

Wooden - Slaton - Clark

Hollins - Quay - Campbell - Smith

Ballentine - SJC

Savage - Ford

Andy Herman
    @AndyHermanNFL

Nice quick hit pass from Love to Doubs off the quick play action fake in gun. Rodgers ran that play so well - Love stepping right in where 12 left off.

Next throw Love is wide to Dillon in the flat off PA.

Andy Herman
    @AndyHermanNFL

Lukas Van Ness with a gorgeous rush on Yosh Nijman. Legit teach tape stuff. Played the run off play action, ripped through the tackle, exploded to the QB. Fun stuff.

Andy Herman
    @AndyHermanNFL

Love fires into double coverage deep down the field to Doubs. Ball hangs a bit and Savage comes down with the fairly easy pick.

Andy Herman
    @AndyHermanNFL

Devonte Wyatt is here but not practicing. Great to see Quay practicing after dropping out last week. With Wyatt out, Colby Wooden getting legit looks with the 1s on defense. Huge opportunity for him.

Andy Herman
    @AndyHermanNFL

Corey Ballentine should have had a pick 6 of Love in coverage vs Reed but the ball bounces off his hands. Not an ideal play as a Packer fan all the way around.

Next play is a false start by Caleb Jones.

Andy Herman
    @AndyHermanNFL

Love with a gorgeous pass over the middle to Musgrave in stride on the next play with Moore in coverage. Musgrave can make a real difference in the mof.

Andy Herman
    @AndyHermanNFL

Love finding some rhythm. Back to back completions to Toure and Reed on what looked like slant routes.

Andy Herman
    @AndyHermanNFL

Love shows off his mobility, navigates the pocket, rolls to his left, throws a bit of a wobbler to Doubs who is wide open and catches it for a big gain down the left sideline.

Andy Herman
    @AndyHermanNFL

Sean Clifford to Malik Heath for the play of the day so far. Beautiful ball from the rookie and Heath did well to catch it over his shoulder in stride.

Now Clifford to Watts on a slant. Slightly high but Watts made a great adjustment and still accelerated through the catch.

Andy Herman
    @AndyHermanNFL

Packers connecting on the slants today. Love to Doubs in two minute drill. Now Deguara with a catch over the middle.

Love to Doubs on a nice out route. Perfect timing from 10. Stops the clock.

Andy Herman
    @AndyHermanNFL

Love had Jayden Reed for a td in two minute on a deep corner route, but ball is overthrow. Love still working on timing with young WRs.

Andy Herman
    @AndyHermanNFL

Love hits Doubs in stride over the middle. Drive continues.

Then Musgrave gets his second catch on the drive. Offense moving.

Andy Herman
    @AndyHermanNFL

Heck of a fading away awkward arm angle throw from Love to Doubs for a completion. Looks like that’ll do it for practice today.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Love is sounding better as he gets reps in practice, I still think he is an XFL QB but I REALLY hope Im wrong.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Sounds like they were working on slants and seam routs today. Rodgers was not big on slants, so that may be a good change with Love. Being able to attack the seam will be a good change.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Sounds like they were working on slants and seam routs today. Rodgers was not big on slants, so that may be a good change with Love. Being able to attack the seam will be a good change.
    We saw what happens when Love hits Watson in stride on a slant route vs. Philly. GB has some young fast WRs and slants are generally quick throws so it's not a bad idea.
    Apparently Musgrave looks good running routes in shorts. shocker. Still, he should be at least as good as Tonyan was last year, with the benefit of 4 years of contract under GB's control.

Rodgers threw less over the middle on average than most QBs. I expect that to change, which will likely be part of the reason we'll see more interceptions. Hopefully, it's countered by more sustained drives.

A rare acorn of truth from you, sharpe. I hope posting it doesn't mean you're happy about it. Myself, I hope, although don't necessarily expect that Love soaked up enough of Rodgers way of playing that he doesn't play down to that expectation - throwing picks over the middle, etc.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Tex, you imply that I lie. Disagreeing with you is not lying. More name calling is not improving your arguments..

Every QB has to throw over the middle, so it's a matter of degree. Rodgers had better numbers when he did throw over the middle, but still favored the outside more than most QBs. This suggests he was choosing the less optimal option.

More throws into the MOF, more pre-snap motion, 12 personnel where both are a receiving threat, running RPOs differently, less timeouts burned. Offense will be similar on surface but I think have a lot more wrinkles.
    This will actually be a chance to find out how good of a coach MLF really is.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    More throws into the MOF, more pre-snap motion, 12 personnel where both are a receiving threat, running RPOs differently, less timeouts burned. Offense will be similar on surface but I think have a lot more wrinkles.
    This will actually be a chance to find out how good of a coach MLF really is.
    I actually think the offense will look a lot different on the surface. Rodgers didn't like a lot of pre snap movement, instead relying on his experience to call audibles. I expect a lot more motion and different formations to disguise a more basic set of plays.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    Tex, you imply that I lie. Disagreeing with you is not lying. More name calling is not improving your arguments..

Every QB has to throw over the middle, so it's a matter of degree. Rodgers had better numbers when he did throw over the middle, but still favored the outside more than most QBs. This suggests he was choosing the less optimal option.
    No, I don't think you lie so much as you are just bonehead stupid. As I said, you got it right in this rare case. It wasn't really clear, though, whether you were FOR or AGAINST throwing over the middle more and getting more interceptions.

Mad Scientist and whoever: it's too early to say for sure, but I think there will be a lot of the same things Rodgers did with Love, even the read and react change at the line stuff. Assuming he's smart, which it seems like they think he is, I'm pretty sure they will encourage that because it's smart football.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Ouch.

Unaction Figure!