Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Official OTA/Minicamp Thread

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    No, I don't think you lie so much as you are just bonehead stupid. As I said, you got it right in this rare case. It wasn't really clear, though, whether you were FOR or AGAINST throwing over the middle more and getting more interceptions.

Mad Scientist and whoever: it's too early to say for sure, but I think there will be a lot of the same things Rodgers did with Love, even the read and react change at the line stuff. Assuming he's smart, which it seems like they think he is, I'm pretty sure they will encourage that because it's smart football.
    I'm for whatever gets the best results. There's no sane person that thinks you can completely ignore the middle of the field. They question is when and how you do so

Rodgers threw the ball in the middle of the field and had corresponding interceptions.He must agree with me

You're saying Rodgers "completely ignored" the middle of the field? Sheeesh. He was just smart about not throwing into traffic, and HOPEFULLY Love will have learned to have that smartness too. Then it somes down to accuracy. HOPEFULLY (but not probably) Love has accuracy close to Rodgers'.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    You're saying Rodgers "completely ignored" the middle of the field? Sheeesh. He was just smart about not throwing into traffic, and HOPEFULLY Love will have learned to have that smartness too. Then it somes down to accuracy. HOPEFULLY (but not probably) Love has accuracy close to Rodgers'.
    No. I said he used the middle of the field. Reading comprehension fail

JFC he used the MOF, just not as much as most QBs.
    Ever use the internet to actually fact check, or are you too lazy to do anything except make false statements and then dig your heels on them after they're disproved?

Even if you don't like PFF or SIS, NFL Next Gen Stats is fairly easy and most of it is free, for crying out loud. Check this out:
    https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/...D339293/season

You can look at the passing charts and see that he mostly threw outside the numbers. Even though he wasn't bad at throwing into MOF, he chose not to. Weird considering those are usually easier throws and where you're going to have mesh concepts, slants, crossers, etc.
    You can pull up another QB and compare their charts. Most use the MOF more.

Interestingly, some people consider the DAL game their best game last year, and yet Rodgers only threw 20 passes.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    JFC he used the MOF, just not as much as most QBs.
    Ever use the internet to actually fact check, or are you too lazy to do anything except make false statements and then dig your heels on them after they're disproved?

Even if you don't like PFF or SIS, NFL Next Gen Stats is fairly easy and most of it is free, for crying out loud. Check this out:
    https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/...D339293/season

You can look at the passing charts and see that he mostly threw outside the numbers. Even though he wasn't bad at throwing into MOF, he chose not to. Weird considering those are usually easier throws and where you're going to have mesh concepts, slants, crossers, etc.
    You can pull up another QB and compare their charts. Most use the MOF more.

Interestingly, some people consider the DAL game their best game last year, and yet Rodgers only threw 20 passes.
    He sure went out with a bang.

Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Watch Love against the Chiefs. They were basically daring the offense to throw over the middle and we refused. It's part of the game plan, it's not necessarily a flaw of Rodgers personally. We'll see this season, though, assuming the offense maintains the status quo.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Watch Love against the Chiefs. They were basically daring the offense to throw over the middle and we refused. It's part of the game plan, it's not necessarily a flaw of Rodgers personally. We'll see this season, though, assuming the offense maintains the status quo.
    They might game plan that way. On the other hand, it seems like Rodgers has been doing this most of his career, predating MLF, but I haven't seen any stats to back that up.

It will be interesting to see.

Rodgers used to throw into the middle more; I wonder if part of it is personnel. They really haven't had a good-to-great slot receiver in a while. I don't know that it's schematic necessarily - Shanahan offense does a fair amount of easy throws designed to have players get YAC. I suspect there's a personal preference thing as well with Rodgers as well as habits (good or bad) over time. Watch older games and he was throwing stuff to Jennings, Driver, and Finley in the MOF much more often. They haven't really had guys like that, but I also think Rodgers got overprotective of his TD-to-Int legacy and decided he'd rather throw a YOLO ball to Adams up the sideline than take what should be an easy throw into the MOF if you read the coverage and avoid any lurking LB or S. I can't help but think there's an element of bad habits/ego with it.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    I don't think you can draw big conclusions from a first time starter on a few days notice being blitzed every down. Love was much better in the 2nd half of that game when he calmed down and had a halftime to look at tape and see where to go with the ball vs the blitz.

Rodgers has never used the middle of the field much. I watched Tonyan catching preseason passes behind the LB in front of the S with Boyle throwing the ball. Then when the season started I never saw those completions again. I have a very strong hunch we will see it this year and fans of Rodgers will claim its because we never had a TE like Musgrave.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Rodgers avoids risky throws like the plague, especially down the middle. But in fairness, the Packers had garbage TEs for te last decade. Throwing late over the middle us a bad thing, and those plodders and has-beens couldn't get open early to save their lives.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Rodgers avoids risky throws like the plague, especially down the middle. But in fairness, the Packers had garbage TEs for te last decade. Throwing late over the middle us a bad thing, and those plodders and has-beens couldn't get open early to save their lives.
    No disagreement on that, but TEs aren't the only option over the middle and Rodgers did really well when he did go over the middle, so it seems like he might have had potential to be even better than he was by being a little more balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    No disagreement on that, but TEs aren't the only option over the middle and Rodgers did really well when he did go over the middle, so it seems like he might have had potential to be even better than he was by being a little more balanced.
    TE's are the most well positioned to get to the soft middle of zone defenses. It will be interesting to see how the Packers attack it this year and next. Will they risk more throws over the middle with the rookie TEs who will be lacking in experience in one of the more challenging positions to learn this year? Or will the Packers bring them in slow and prep them more for a breakout next year. If the Packers can't shred zones down the middle next year, a lot of people need to be shown the door.

I think they will to try to use the TEs more. Whether they'll be successful is another story.

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Rodgers avoids risky throws like the plague, especially down the middle. But in fairness, the Packers had garbage TEs for te last decade. Throwing late over the middle is a bad thing, and those plodders and has-beens couldn't get open early to save their lives.
    The highlighted part is the reason why you didn't see Rodgers use the middle more. He seemed to hold the ball longer, waiting for that big play, which then prevents him from using the middle of the field more because those routes are usually quick hitting plays where a LB gets lost handing off the defender in a zone or is not fast enough to cover a guy crossing the middle.

Rodgers wanting to go deep negated a lot of the OTM routes that would be run by TE's or RB's.

Per Pro Football Focus, between the 49ers, Dolphins, and Packers, on passes inside the numbers in the 0-9 yard range, 19% of all Packers pass attempts came in this range, with the 49ers at 26%, and the Dolphins at 15%. The Packers were lower than both in percent of total pass attempts over the middle of the field at the 10-19 yard range (Dolphins 20%, 49ers 11%, Packers 9%) and lower at the 20+ range than both the 49ers and Dolphins (Dolphins 5.6%, 49ers 3.7%, Packers 2.5%).
    Even compared to other Shanahan tree coaches their MOF usage was low.
    https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...rs-jordan-love

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    Just imagine if he had hit Watson with a crossing route vs. the Eagles early in the game.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    I can't remember how many times during game day threads I posted that a WR ran a crossing route and was open in the middle of the field. I can't count the number of times I have been to a game and seen WR, TE and RB running wide open across the middle of the field for a 1st down and ARod throwing down the sideline.

And I am not talking about having half a step on the defender. I am talking 5 yards wide open after the LBs completed their drops and a guy runs open underneath. Tom Brady made a career on those throws.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    I can't remember how many times during game day threads I posted that a WR ran a crossing route and was open in the middle of the field. I can't count the number of times I have been to a game and seen WR, TE and RB running wide open across the middle of the field for a 1st down and ARod throwing down the sideline.

And I am not talking about having half a step on the defender. I am talking 5 yards wide open after the LBs completed their drops and a guy runs open underneath. Tom Brady made a career on those throws.
    It looks like the Packers are working on this:
    https://packerswire.usatoday.com/202...-love-in-2023/
    Hopefully they will hit a bunch of those open middle passes this season.

Yeah, I can't count the number of times we posted in here about guys running open he didn't see or flat out ignored. If we can see it, you know he can too (either real time, on the tablet at sideline, or in game film review) and you'd think he'd change his game a bit.

The Packers Wire article also references this one which is interesting:
    https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-...eld-207552129/

I found 67 QBs who have attempted at least 100 non-RPOs passes past the LOS since the start of 2019. Of those 67 QBs, Aaron Rodgers was 65th at targeting the middle of the field. To give you a sense of the difference, the king of targeting the middle of the field during that time is Jimmy Garoppolo, who targeted the middle of the field on 58.4% of his passes. So the difference between Aaron Rodgers and the #1 QB on this list is 23 percentage points. Put another way, Rodgers attempted ~14 fewer passes per game over the middle of the field than Jimmy Garoppolo.
    Rodgers has performed better than the rest of the league when he targets the middle of the field, but he targets the field at a much lower clip than the rest of the league.

I thought 2018-2019 might have been when Rodgers really started reducing his MOF throws. That was when he lost Randall Cobb, and maybe didn't trust the younger guys who replaced him. Obviously, the draft picks of Reed, Musgrave and Kraft point to the Packers wanting to attack the middle of the field. I wonder if they would have made those picks if Rodgers were still going to be here.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen