Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL AARON RODGERS THE LIVING LEGEND THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I agree with this, Joe. I do think Guter caved to Rodgers last year, maybe to keep his job, given that it seems Rodgers or Rodgers's rep called Mark Murphy to let him know Rodgers wanted Guter fired in 2021. But then last season happened, and Guter saw that the team's "run it back" hadn't gone very far, so he wrested control back from Rodgers, or was going to, and when he tried to reach out to Rodgers to let him know, well, Guter had to know that would not go over well. Thus the subsequent the split and the he-said-she-said stuff.

But I disagree with you in your comments about "moving on." Moving on? This whole thread is dedicated to not moving on! We need to speculate all next season about whether Rodgers is really making the Jets better, and if he would've rebounded had he stayed, and who is current girlfriend is, and how many eye-rolls he pulls in a given game, then we'll have to compare that to the average number of eye-rolls in Rodgers's last season in Green Bay. So much not-moving-on to do!
    Even if Love doesn't pan out, the widely held belief is that the pick goaded Rodgers into playing better and winning two MVPs. That in itself makes it a good draft pick.
    It would have been unprecedented to trade a back to back MVP, so I understand why they tried to run it back one more year. I also don't blame Rodgers or Dunn (his agent) for trying to get as much money as possible. The team was dumb to give it to him, at least in the way they did with a 59.3M payout that would have crippled their already stretched cap. When Rodgers flopped this past year, he lost his leverage. Despite what they said publicly, you could tell there was at least something going on, and the animosity is real. It's Gute's job to decide who to draft or sign; Rodgers shouldn't be doing that. There's all the weird airing of laundry on McAfee, telling his (often untruthful) side of a story, the ayahuasca, the COVID immunizied stuff, the retirement talk, all the other stuff just added up. Eventually a straw breaking the camel's back etc.

Rodgers will make the Jets a better team, simply by him swapping in and Zach Wilson riding the pine. I question whether they are better than MIA or BUF, however, and they have a tough road in the AFC in general. Nobody is going to sleep on them this year with Rodgers at QB. One other thing: Rodgers is not the QB he was 3 years ago, he's in physical decline and unless he fixes some bad habits that reappeared last year he's going to be seen on camera close-ups rolling his eyes and swearing to himself. At this point I'd take Josh Allen over Rodgers, but Rodgers over Tua or Mac Jones in the AFCE. Remember: Rodgers has now flopped against TB in the NFCCG (3 4Q possessions, 3 pts), the SF playoff game the next year(ignoring everyone except Adams), and when it mattered against DET in the final week last season. His best games are well behind him, and Ron Wolf would tell you that's a sign to move on.

As mentioned before, he's done some great things and I have some very happy memories (owning the Bears for example) but it was definitely time to move on.

That just illustrates the importance of a healthy Rodgers at QB. (this was response to sharpe's above.)
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Even if Love doesn't pan out, the widely held belief is that the pick goaded Rodgers into playing better and winning two MVPs. That in itself makes it a good draft pick.
    It would have been unprecedented to trade a back to back MVP, so I understand why they tried to run it back one more year. I also don't blame Rodgers or Dunn (his agent) for trying to get as much money as possible. The team was dumb to give it to him, at least in the way they did with a 59.3M payout that would have crippled their already stretched cap. When Rodgers flopped this past year, he lost his leverage. Despite what they said publicly, you could tell there was at least something going on, and the animosity is real. It's Gute's job to decide who to draft or sign; Rodgers shouldn't be doing that. There's all the weird airing of laundry on McAfee, telling his (often untruthful) side of a story, the ayahuasca, the COVID immunizied stuff, the retirement talk, all the other stuff just added up. Eventually a straw breaking the camel's back etc.

Rodgers will make the Jets a better team, simply by him swapping in and Zach Wilson riding the pine. I question whether they are better than MIA or BUF, however, and they have a tough road in the AFC in general. Nobody is going to sleep on them this year with Rodgers at QB. One other thing: Rodgers is not the QB he was 3 years ago, he's in physical decline and unless he fixes some bad habits that reappeared last year he's going to be seen on camera close-ups rolling his eyes and swearing to himself. At this point I'd take Josh Allen over Rodgers, but Rodgers over Tua or Mac Jones in the AFCE. Remember: Rodgers has now flopped against TB in the NFCCG (3 4Q possessions, 3 pts), the SF playoff game the next year(ignoring everyone except Adams), and when it mattered against DET in the final week last season. His best games are well behind him, and Ron Wolf would tell you that's a sign to move on.

As mentioned before, he's done some great things and I have some very happy memories (owning the Bears for example) but it was definitely time to move on.
    Mostly, yes. As I've said many many times, if Rodgers had continued on the same track, another MVP season or close to it last year, which he very very likely would have without the injury, then that contract - that I call a glorious contract - would have been acknowledged by everybody (well, maybe not a few dumbasses in here hahahaha) - as a stroke of genius and wonderfulness for keeping Rodgers in Green Bay for at least several more seasons that almost certainly would have been excellent, unless he got injured again. But no, last season turned to shit, and the idiots and imbeciles wanting Rodgers gone for their own stupid reasons got their way. And now, we all will suffer for who knows how long - probably. I say probably, because there is actually a slim slim thread of hope that Love is gonna be the "third coming", and everything will be all right. Generally, nobody is a bigger optimist in here than me, but I just can't get too optimistic in this case - hopeful, yes, but optimistic, no.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    That just illustrates the importance of a healthy Rodgers at QB. (this was response to sharpe's above.)
    So it was Rodgers' fault we didn't make the playoffs? Bullshit. What a shithead.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post

And as for the 10-6 Super Bowl year versus 15-1 and not, I'm about 50/50 on that. What comes to mind was the depressing series of games before the great run all the way to the SB - a lot of bad feeling, 6 to be exact, versus just two bad feeling days in the 15-1 season. All this "move on" talk in here ...... I'd argue that only having to move on 2 times in a season is better than needing to move on 6 times.
    Oh, Tex. I mean I like most of your posting, but c'mon. You're really going to tell me your 50/50 on which season you'd prefer? That 1 loss in the 15 win season was WAY more painful than the 6 losses during the SB season. AND, the NFC title win and SB win were WAY more enjoyable than ANY of those cumulative 15 wins.

That 2010 team was stealthy good too - they lost two back to back OT games (WAS and MIA) and graded out elite on more advanced metrics. Injuries and some bad luck derailed them mid-season, but then there was something of a regression (to where they should have been) or uptick in their fortunes. I doubt any NYG fan cares they were a WC team when they went 9-7 in 2011, what they remember is they beat up the 15-1 packers and went on to beat NE in the Super Bowl.

The Super Bowl is the goal for every team, winning regular season games is nice and is the path to the playoffs. I'd take 10-6 and a ring over 15-1 and an ugly 37-20 playoff loss to a 6 seed any year.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2xUEy-vXtU

There is already a story out there about how Rodgers is interrupting coaches at meetings, quizzing players on the field, and all that. The article both suggested that it could be really annoying - rude, actually, with the interrupting - and that it could be seen as how damn invested in the team he really is.

Fun! Shit-stirring!
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    There is already a story out there about how Rodgers is interrupting coaches at meetings, quizzing players on the field, and all that. The article both suggested that it could be really annoying - rude, actually, with the interrupting - and that it could be seen as how damn invested in the team he really is.

Fun! Shit-stirring!
    Success tends to drown people in self-entitlement. And self-entitlement, in turn, makes people cocky/arrogant. Butte ain’t an exception.

Ask Tony ODay what he does for a living and how much he makes annually…(See Musings of a Polar Bear thread in FYI for more.)
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Fun! Shit-stirring!
    You mean this article?
    https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-j...ns-pop-quizzes

Some interesting comments and a few little digs in there from Rodgers. What I'm most curious about is why Rodgers thinks motion would make it harder to read a defense?
    There must be a reason I'm forgetting, because I'd think motion would help reveal the coverage and help the offense dictate to the defense.

You mean this article?
    https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-j...ns-pop-quizzes

Some interesting comments and a few little digs in there from Rodgers. What I'm most curious about is why Rodgers thinks motion would make it harder to read a defense?
    There must be a reason I'm forgetting, because I'd think motion would help reveal the coverage and help the offense dictate to the defense.
    So the guy who added audibles and 5287 Hans signals to MLF's offense complained that the offense needed to be simplified?
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

I read the "Fairweather Fluff" ESPN bog article above, and it didn't say that motion made it easier for Rodgers to read the defense; it just said that it's easier for him to run plays before the defense gets set or freeze them until the last second on the play clock.

If LaFleur's offense has motion from one side of the QB to the other, especially for sweeps or sweep play action, then you only have a certain window when you can snap the ball -- and really a small window for the QB to read the defensive key. If it's the motion that I'm used to from the 90s and 2000s, where a big receiver or back just kinda plods around from the O-line to the far hashmark and re-sets somewhere to move a safety, then that doesn't demand the same kind of precision timing that modern offense does.

" It needs to be a free-flowing conversation between the coaches and the players." - I'm sure that's exactly how Aaron will feel when Zonovan Knight interrupts him to ask why he can't get better touch on block-and-release screen passes when there's a red dog blitz.

Separately, how often did Aaron's cadences actually draw players offside? I know the announcers made a big deal of him and Brett's snap counts, but I don't remember as many free plays or new first downs as they talked it up. It seems like the fear of an offside penalty makes defense less likely to time the snap and more likely to react, which isn't a bad thing either..
    Last edited by NewsBruin; 06-09-2023 at 12:10 AM.
    I believe in God, family, Baylor University, and the Green Bay Packers.

If your decisions on offensive strategy are premised on how many more times you can draw the other team offsides, you're focusing on the wrong thing.

Quote Originally Posted by NewsBruin View Post
    Separately, how often did Aaron's cadences actually draw players offside? I know the announcers made a big deal of him and Brett's snap counts, but I don't remember as many free plays or new first downs as they talked it up. It seems like the fear of an offside penalty makes defense less likely to time the snap and more likely to react, which isn't a bad thing either..
    In 2014 he was getting one a game with the hard count. Defenses prepare better for him now and it only works once or twice a season.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    In 2014 he was getting one a game with the hard count. Defenses prepare better for him now and it only works once or twice a season.
    Yeah I think teams were better prepared for his hard count.
    Thing was, he ran the clock down to 0 all the time - GB had one of the slowest-paced offenses in the league - so I'm not sure it really would have worked all that well anymore anyway. If you're just lining up with 10 on the clock and getting everyone set, calling protections, etc., you're probably not snapping the ball THAT early. I'm actually surprised DL don't take off when the clock turns 0, whether the ball was snapped or not - it should be a delay penalty.

Yeah I think teams were better prepared for his hard count.
    Thing was, he ran the clock down to 0 all the time - GB had one of the slowest-paced offenses in the league - so I'm not sure it really would have worked all that well anymore anyway. If you're just lining up with 10 on the clock and getting everyone set, calling protections, etc., you're probably not snapping the ball THAT early. I'm actually surprised DL don't take off when the clock turns 0, whether the ball was snapped or not - it should be a delay penalty.
    Pretty sure the DL was aware when the clock got near zero.

I would agree that for a while, Rodgers seemed to get lots of offsides calls - he'd get about one a game, and take a shot. But the last year or three, it didn't seem to work so well.

He also seemed to use the same trick - the same rhythm, or lack there of - every time. I was always surprised he didn't switch it up.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

There's been a couple of rule changes, as I recall, too: blowing the whistle quicker on offsides and alowing the D to make changes if the offense substitutes as well as giving that offical in the O backfield time to get out of the way.
    Last edited by texaspackerbacker; 06-14-2023 at 11:35 AM.

Craig Carton of FS1, who previously reported that the Green Bay Packers had conversations with the San Francisco 49ers about quarterback Aaron Rodgers, stated Thursday on The Carton Show that the New England Patriots also made a trade offer for the former Packers quarterback.

The New England Patriots made an offer to the Green Bay Packers to get Aaron Rodgers. When Aaron Rodgers heard it, his agent said, “No. We ain’t playing for New England. We want to be a Jet.”
    If true, Rodgers may have figured Patriots weren't going to let Rodgers call personnel shots like the Jets were. However, if word had gotten out that the Packers were negotiating with the Patriots, it may have given the Packers some leverage with their talks with the Jets.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    If true, Rodgers may have figured Patriots weren't going to let Rodgers call personnel shots like the Jets were. However, if word had gotten out that the Packers were negotiating with the Patriots, it may have given the Packers some leverage with their talks with the Jets.
    It wouldn't surprise if we were to hear that the Pats leaked the whole "Rodgers interest" just to get the Jets to cough up more draft picks.

According to Carton, all this happened before Bill O’Brien, the former head coach of the Houston Texans and most recently the offensive coordinator of the Alabama Crimson Tide, was named the Patriots’ new offensive coordinator. Carton also claims that Rodgers’ camp stated that the quarterback would retire if he were traded to the Patriots.
    Bill O'Brien was hired in late January, by the way.
    I'm sure the NY media will pick up on this and get Rodgers' take on it all, complete with revisionist comments.

As for BO'B, I'd probably rather play for Saleh and Hackett too. LOL
    The inevitable comparisons to Brady likely made it a non-starter for AR (even if Brady's NE teams were largely better).

Personally, I don't make a lot out of it, aside from the reported timing of the trade inquiry. SF inquired about Rodgers too, as I'm sure many teams did, however casually. Anytime a marquee level QB is likely to be traded a team would be negligent to at least determine the asking price.