Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Players of interest breakdown thread

Myers needs to step it up this year. He was hurt as a rookie, but started all 17 games last year. He was just too inconsistent. Jenkins and Tom are both capable of playing Center at a higher level than Myers did last year. And Sean Rhyan has just as much athleticism if not more.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Myers definitely playing for his job. It's his third year. Time to put up or shut up.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I hope Myers has a better year than last year. I expect him to be better - at least as good as his rookie season. I've always been convinced he's a better player than Creed Humphrey. But I hardly think Myers is "playing for his job".

This Sean Rhyan thing - switching to Center, I see that as just a last gasp of a chance for him - it is about who will be the backup. Hanson proved to be total crap. Tom could be the backup and still may be if Rhyan bombs, but I think they see Tom as better at Guard or Tackle.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Myers needs to step it up this year. He was hurt as a rookie, but started all 17 games last year. He was just too inconsistent. Jenkins and Tom are both capable of playing Center at a higher level than Myers did last year. And Sean Rhyan has just as much athleticism if not more.
    Yeah, Myers and Rhyan were the first guys that came to mind for me, although last year the team really underperformed compared to the year before, so you could throw almost everyone on a list of "players of interest". I'd say any of the picks from this year's draft going back to Stokes/Myers draft of 2021 could be candidates.

Agree Myers is playing for his job. I don't think he's going to get cut - he's not a bad player - but if someone else can play C better they should bench Myers. Clock is ticking on Rhyan - they are going to look for any reason this camp to keep him. Remember, TJ Lang took a while to come around. I think he's a G but if he can play C that helps him greatly. They do have a lot of OL under contract and competition should be pretty fierce. Will be interesting to see it play out.

I won't be watching Rhyan because he is a flop. A wasted pick. If the guy can't even break the gameday roster as a 3rd round pick then I have no faith in him making any real contribution this year. At best he is now a long term project except I haven't seen the developable traits that yosh or Jones has.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I won't be watching Rhyan because he is a flop. A wasted pick. If the guy can't even break the gameday roster as a 3rd round pick then I have no faith in him making any real contribution this year. At best he is now a long term project except I haven't seen the developable traits that yosh or Jones has.
    Mike Wahle was pretty useless until they found the right position for him. So we'll see. I think we'll find out pretty soon whether he can play. This won't be a multi-year developmental project like Yosh.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Mike Wahle was pretty useless until they found the right position for him. So we'll see. I think we'll find out pretty soon whether he can play. This won't be a multi-year developmental project like Yosh.
    I agree, because as I have stated he doesn't possess the incredible feet that Yosh has and his size is already maxed out for his frame. I thought he could maybe play tackle given his huge lower frame, but in the limited action I have seen him he doesn't have anywhere near the footwork required, nor the natural agility. As a guard he may be serviceable with enough work, but as you said, they won't spend that much time on him. You spend that kind of time on guys who have the natural ability to reach high levels. He just hasn't displayed that anywhere on tape.

I keep wondering what they saw that they drafted this guy in the third round. Fifth round, maybe? Okay. A flier. But the third round?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I keep wondering what they saw that they drafted this guy in the third round. Fifth round, maybe? Okay. A flier. But the third round?
    He was drafted about where most people had him rated. Some actually had him rated as a 2nd round pick. He was actually kind of a classic Packer mid-round pick. A guy who played LT in college who most think will have to play inside in the NFL. He's been getting reps at Center with he 2's, but you can't start to grade OL guys until the pads go on. We'll find out pretty quickly I think whether he's a talented guy who had trouble as a rookie transitioning to the NFL, or whether drafting him was a colossal mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I think that is somewhat harsh. He was 21 on draft day, two years younger than Tom was when he was drafted. I think the kid still has a future. Guys with his athletic ability at his size don't grown on trees. I think he discovered that athletic ability alone isn't enough in the NFL. Obviously, this year is a big year for him.

I'd be happy to be pleasantly surprised by him, but expecting more than a bench player from him given his performance last year is a mistake.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Ole Bobble, he dislikes Mellow Yellow (too sweat), Coldplay’s smash hit, “Yellow” (why would a person bleed herself dry for another person, asks Bobble) and yellow futbol players like Rhyan, Taylor Rapp and Younghoe Koo (too soft to be futbol players, reasons Bobble).
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    I'd be happy to be pleasantly surprised by him, but expecting more than a bench player from him given his performance last year is a mistake.
    I'm not bullish on his chances, but you never know. He's not a bust just yet -- as mentioned he's young and a good athlete. Plenty of players have bad rookie seasons and turn out ok. TJ Lang took a while to figure it out. They don't need Rhyan to play meaningful snaps, which buys time to sort out whatever his issues are. Not much point in giving up on him so soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    Ole Bobble, he dislikes Mellow Yellow (too sweat), Coldplay’s smash hit, “Yellow” (why would a person bleed herself dry for another person, asks Bobble) and yellow futbol players like Rhyan, Taylor Rapp and Younghoe Koo (too soft to be futbol players, reasons Bobble).
    But I like asian women so it balances out!

So lets talk TE. In the Kraft thread I just pointed out we drafted a guy in the Kelce mold and a guy in the Kittles mold. Musgrave (kelce mold) will probably be more effective early as his NFL DNA has allowed him ample opportunity to be exposed to NFL concepts his whole life. He will still be more WR than multi faceted this year though.

This is going to be my favorite group to watch. Loved both picks and I'm interested to see if DeGuara puts it together in a more traditional LaFleur offense. I don't see big numbers, but impacting the game in many ways is an option. As a FB, as a blocker, as a guy who can misdirect the defense. If he can just make sure a good coverage LB is required to be on he field its a win. Or even better if a safety is needed to cover him. If he is just that good as a pass catcher it will help the run game a lot.

Musgrave I hope to be a matchup nightmare. Too fast for LB/S and too big for a corner. I don't expect big things from Kraft this year because, well TEs. But honestly in most drafts he's a mid to early 2nd round pick. The TE depth in this draft allowed us to grab 2 guys a round later than their talent would dictate. If we have a winning future I expect a lot of it will run through the TE room.

I glanced back to see how my thoughts were playing out and realized I never covered WR/RB. RB is about as straightforward as can be with Dillon and Jones, but the WR group had some intrigue. I'll be honest, Reed has surprised me. I stated on draft day that he has a skill set that I don't feel translates well. It sounds like he has been lightning in short areas though. I still kind of think Torre plays a lot of slot before the season ends. But Reed seems to have done his job thus far. Watson is going to terrify defenses. Romeo has a lot of James Jones in him. He is such a dangerous route runner that when he shifts gears he gets behind the defense.

With Musgrave pulling safeties into the middle of the field I think regular shots downfield to Watson or Doubs will be a staple of this offense. We might run so much that we need to keep 3 active RBs on gameday just for the wear and tear. Ground and pound with dump passes, 10 yard crossers to WR and middle seam routes to musgrave. Then when the defense tightens up, boom, down the sideline. Our skill positions are set up for success.

Based on camp reports Musgrave has had plenty of rough moments but as a receiver has been a revelation. LBs and safeties are going to have trouble staying with him, and teams will have to decide how to cover him and Watson. It's going to leave swaths of the field open for savvy guys like Reed (and Doubs) to operate.

I liked Reed as a prospect, but didn't think he fit GB's thresholds so never seriously considered him as a pick. Pretty sure I posted as much in draft threads. He's basically what the team hoped Amari would have been. Reed's production in the slot at MSU was not great - he was better outside -- but it seems like he's adjusted to playing in the slot nicely in camp and that's where he's going to mostly be. He's going to be the new Cobb.

I think they'll play Toure everywhere - wherever they need him to be, although I suspect he might be better in the slot. Wicks is the presumptive WR5 and seems like someone who will push for more time outside, although he's shown some nice blocking chops so I could see him getting time as a big slot for run blocking. Heath, too.

It's a nice group of young receiving talent; I'm excited to see what they can do. I'm expecting a lot of bumps along the way -- camp reports have been a mix of wow plays, bad drops, and miscommunications. I think that's part of learning to be an NFL WR and they'll improve.

At RB I think Jones/Dillon are the locks and Taylor is the most dependable. With this team the RB3 is more about pass protection and ST than anything, and he's shown he can do both. The other guys are certainly pushing him. I'm not sure if they roster 2 and try to sign as many of the rest to the PS for gameday elevations/further development or keep 3 on the 53. Roster construction/Cutdowns are going to be fascinating. I really like Goodson, but he's on the smaller side (for a RB) and he needs to learn from Jones how to stay healthy.

The future at RB (2024 and beyond) is interesting - Dillon is a FA and Jones is in the last year of a contract with lots of cap hit kicked down the road into it.

The future at RB (2024 and beyond): Unless he gets injured, I'm pretty sure they retain Aaron Jones and beat the cap by restructuring him. I'd be just fine, make that very pleased, if they let Dillon go - get something for him if possible, if not, just let him go/don't pay a lot to keep him, and ABSOLUTELY don't keep him at the cost of losing Jones. I like Patrick Taylor better than Dillon, and probably Emanuel Wilson and maybe Goodson too.

Reed looked pretty good. I like Toure better, though. And Heath? You hear the word "twitch" used. Have we seen anybody in recent history that has more "twitch"/lateral quickness than him? 6 WRs is not too many. Let's keep all of those 6 mentioned.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Getting back to safety talk, I woud hope the Pack would not dick around - with the advent of Carrington Valentine, why wouldn't you move Rasul Douglas to safety now? You need another slot cover guy, so just move Savage now, too. Nixon needs to be available for all the other shit he can do. Then start Owens/Moore/Somebody opposite Douglas. Then you have your slot guys, and one good safety. Stokes will be back after mid-season, so you just need to have an outside corner opposite Alexander for seven or eight weeks or however long. And the way Valentine is playing, Stokes might never get his starting gig back.
    s

KYPack

Unfortunately, it seems that Rasul was not near as good in the slot as he was on the outside. If you're expecting your safety to spend a lot of time at the line, potentially matching up against slot receivers, maybe that's not the best place for Rasul.

If you want your safety deep, over the top, I think you want a rangey guy and fast decision-maker back there. I have the feeling Rasul is the latter, but not so much the former.

So what does that mean for him?