Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Players of interest breakdown thread

Keep Rasul at outside corner. That's it. He's good there, why put him somewhere where he's not as good?

He's not a slot corner, and he might have taken snaps at safety I don't think he's a great fit there. If he was the coaches would be looking at him more seriously there. The players they have at S now have warts but should be passable. I think they're all better than MD Jennings.

Not "rangy"? He's a 6'2" DB. I'd like to see him as the deep Safety, and choose from among Savage, Owen, Taveras, Ford, Nixon, or whoever at Slot. Maybe do it by committee depending on who lines up there on offense.

Or if you want to keep Douglas at outside Corner, maybe use Jaire in the Slot. I bet he'd be outstanding there.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Unfortunately, it seems that Rasul was not near as good in the slot as he was on the outside. If you're expecting your safety to spend a lot of time at the line, potentially matching up against slot receivers, maybe that's not the best place for Rasul.

If you want your safety deep, over the top, I think you want a rangey guy and fast decision-maker back there. I have the feeling Rasul is the latter, but not so much the former.

So what does that mean for him?
    I'd agree that Douglas would be better as a deep safety. So play him there, and put Savage in the slot, and let one of the Moore/Owens/Ford group take the other safety spot. Or something.

It's like the offensive line - you want your five best out there, and if that means one of your five best has to learn a new position, then so be it.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Not sure if it constitutes "Players of Interest", but the 49ers are moving on from Trey Lance.

He lost his job to Brock Purdy, who has almost three times as many passing TDs in the same amount of game action. Lance lost the backup competition to SAM DARNOLD...

Relevant because Christian Watson was part of the reason Lance looked like a good QB at South Dakota State.

Not sure if it constitutes "Players of Interest", but the 49ers are moving on from Trey Lance.

He lost his job to Brock Purdy, who has almost three times as many passing TDs in the same amount of game action. Lance lost the backup competition to SAM DARNOLD...

Relevant because Christian Watson was part of the reason Lance looked like a good QB at South Dakota State.

I think injuries and being very very raw hurt him. You'd assume he has command of the playbook but maybe it's going through progressions or something else. No idea.

NYJ WR Corey Davis is retiring. He came up in trade talks or as a FA target for GB in the past. Maybe Rodgers rolled his eyes and scowled too much his way.

Cowboys' Sam Williams, who GB had in for a predaft 30 visit last year, was arrested on possession and weapons charges.
    Last edited by run pMc; 08-24-2023 at 07:48 AM.

You know, when a team beats and beats up on your team a few times, especially in the playoffs, like San Fran did just a few years ago to our boys, you tend to look at that organization as if they've figured it all out - they're smarter, they're one step ahead.

But the Trey Lance debacle suggests they are human, too. They really went after him to get him in the draft, and now he looks like a turd they are trying to scrape a few kernels of corn from before they give up on the whole thing.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

The 12 players drafted shortly after Lance include seven Pro Bowlers, including wide receiver Ja’Marr Chase, tight end Kyle Pitts, offensive tackle Penei Sewell, cornerback Patrick Surtain II, linebacker Micah Parsons, offensive tackle Rashawn Slater, and quarterback Mac Jones, whom Shanahan was rumored to be interested in leading up to the draft. The Dolphins used the three picks they got from the 49ers to draft a productive and dynamic receiver in Jaylen Waddle and as trade compensation for two star veterans in wide receiver Tyreek Hill and pass rusher Bradley Chubb. The Eagles, tangentially involved after Miami traded them San Francisco’s original no. 12 pick to go up to no. 6 for Waddle, traded in turn with Dallas to move to no. 10, where they selected receiver DeVonta Smith, who has 2,112 receiving yards through two seasons. The Cowboys took Parsons, probably the best non-quarterback of the first round, with the 49ers’ original pick at no. 12.
    from https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2023/8...arnold-lessons

looking like a pretty big swing and a miss. There's always some opportunity cost involved in acquiring a player via FA (salary cap) or draft (player X vs. player Y), but when you trade up for one I think it's magnified.

Yikes. Almost every player on the list is elite.

It reminds me of the Tony Mandarich draft. A zillion pro bowlers picked after the Packers took a turd.

KYPack