I'm not arguing that you WANT a bad QB, I'm just saying that great D and a well balanced team is MORE important than a top 5 QB...especially in a one year window of rankings. Flacco, Dilfer, Foles, Jimmy G, Krapernick and I could go on, have all had Owl wins and appearances. They are not great QBs. Yes, Maholmes, Brady, Brees have also won. Having a great QB gives you an edge, but having a great D is more important. How many Owls did Brady win with a D outside the top 10??
I don't 100% agree with this. I think a top 5 QB gets you to the playoffs -- there are enough bad defenses where if you have a great QB and good offense you'll win a lot of games. In the playoffs you're going to run into good/great defenses, that is almost a certainty in the conf championship game and SB. A top 5 QB can sometimes overcome that as well. I do agree that the vast majority of SB winning teams have good offenses AND good defenses - i.e., they are as you say "a well balanced team".

There are plenty of teams who are good on only one side of the ball who get picked apart on any given Sunday. I still think in the current NFL offense tops defense because of how the passing/QB rules are... so if one side of the ball was to be average and the other top 5, I'd prefer the offense to be top 5. I 100% agree that a shitty defense probably won't get you to a SB, much less win one. JMO