Thread: Official Training Camp Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I'm hoping Yosh and Runyan show enough that they can keep Tom as the backup at all positions.

I'm hoping Sean Rhyan can break the 3rd round pick jinx. If the 2nd year OL guys (Tom, Jones, Rhyan, Walker) can progress, Packers will have excellent depth on the OL
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I'm hoping Yosh and Runyan show enough that they can keep Tom as the backup at all positions.

I'm hoping Sean Rhyan can break the 3rd round pick jinx. If the 2nd year OL guys (Tom, Jones, Rhyan, Walker) can progress, Packers will have excellent depth on the OL
    Tom can not be kept on the bench. His is unquestionably one of the top 5 (3). For my money I try to get a 2nd for Bak and start Yosh at LT, Tom at RT. Its a downgrade, but if Yosh doesn't take that final step you have draft capital to get your LT of the future instead of desperately trying to rework Bak's deal in the offseason. You also get younger either way.

I also don't want to piss off a young guy who has earned a starting spot. Not unless you have had some real serious conversations with him and you are positive he sees the big picture.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Tom can not be kept on the bench. His is unquestionably one of the top 5 (3). For my money I try to get a 2nd for Bak and start Yosh at LT, Tom at RT. Its a downgrade, but if Yosh doesn't take that final step you have draft capital to get your LT of the future instead of desperately trying to rework Bak's deal in the offseason. You also get younger either way.

I also don't want to piss off a young guy who has earned a starting spot. Not unless you have had some real serious conversations with him and you are positive he sees the big picture.
    I think Tom should be starting too, and at tackle not guard. Maybe he's a C, but I thought he was decent as a rookie at OT and think he's a long term player there.
    As for Bak and Njiman, I wouldn't be shocked at all if Bak gets traded and Njiman signs elsewhere in the offseason, and Gute drafts an OT to compete with the players on the roster. They have 3 depth OTs competing in Caleb Jones, Rasheed Walker and Luke Tenuta. One of those 3 could emerge as the new Njiman, and they would have more cost/contract control with them than Njiman (plus Njiman leaving likely nets them a good comp pick). Next year's draft looks potentially deeper than this year's, which was top heavy and not deep at all. Fashanu, Alt, Lathan, Barton all are being talked about as R1 picks.

Bahktiari is still a good OT and they aren't easy to find. IDK if extending him is a good idea given his knee and the money he'll likely want. Njiman is a slightly above average starter at OT, they might be able to do better there. I think the team likes him as the backup swing tackle but he's going to get starter money elsewhere. I know they like the young guys at the back of the roster, if one emerges during camp I could see them making a move. Bahktiari is likely here at least until the trade deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    I think Tom should be starting too, and at tackle not guard. Maybe he's a C, but I thought he was decent as a rookie at OT and think he's a long term player there.
    As for Bak and Njiman, I wouldn't be shocked at all if Bak gets traded and Njiman signs elsewhere in the offseason, and Gute drafts an OT to compete with the players on the roster. They have 3 depth OTs competing in Caleb Jones, Rasheed Walker and Luke Tenuta. One of those 3 could emerge as the new Njiman, and they would have more cost/contract control with them than Njiman (plus Njiman leaving likely nets them a good comp pick). Next year's draft looks potentially deeper than this year's, which was top heavy and not deep at all. Fashanu, Alt, Lathan, Barton all are being talked about as R1 picks.

Bahktiari is still a good OT and they aren't easy to find. IDK if extending him is a good idea given his knee and the money he'll likely want. Njiman is a slightly above average starter at OT, they might be able to do better there. I think the team likes him as the backup swing tackle but he's going to get starter money elsewhere. I know they like the young guys at the back of the roster, if one emerges during camp I could see them making a move. Bahktiari is likely here at least until the trade deadline.
    That makes some sense. Use him carefully, keep him healthy, show that he can still play at a high level - then trade him after you've gotten some use from him this year. It's a risk but perhaps worth taking.

I see that the Packers also claimed a center off waivers from Tennessee, who will take Garvin's spot on the roster. I also see some fumbled exchanges between Myers and Love. While I hope Myers works out, he seems the weak link on the line so far.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post

I would do this too I think, but the counterpoint and thing to keep is mind is how many young QBs just get ruined by bad OL. If they think JLo is Mr. World wide, I think they keep Bak. If they think they are going to be picking a QB high in 2025, i think they ship him off. I would imagine they have a very good idea by now and we will learn a lot about what they think they have in JLo by the age of the players they keep around him.