Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Official Training Camp Thread

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Maybe, but it is also to remember that he doesn't have the measurable that NFL teams crave since the NFL is different from college. Although I would agree that success in the SEC trumps that for me personally and shows you're explosive, fast, etc even if it doesn't show up at the combine.

The Packers had that TE from Oregon many moons ago that was in a similar spot. Elite talent but a bum off the field. He washed out and didn't make the team 'cause bums gonna bum.
    Jamal Reynolds had success in the SEC.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    ACC

If the Packers do end up trading Bak, I think that'd be a short sighted move, but if they traded him a #1 in say the 26 or 27 draft, I'd be good with it.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    If the Packers do end up trading Bak, I think that'd be a short sighted move, but if they traded him a #1 in say the 26 or 27 draft, I'd be good with it.
    I disagree. Its the long game move unless you are talking about Love. Its possible that keeping him helps Love succeed and would be good for his psyche long term, but moving him for a pick and clearing his salary from the books after next season is the better long play for the franchise. If Bak were 100% right now I would say he is good enough to have 5 good years left. Given they way he manages his knee and who he is, I see him playing out next year because $20 million, but I don't think he plays a snap beyond 2024. He won't say it out loud, but I think mentally he is done with football and just collecting the last of his money. If we can land a 2nd I'd be thrilled.

Gutes went all in, and now we have to retool. He turned Adams and Rodgers into some very nice picks (young players). Bak is at the end of the line and if we can turn him into another pick, its the right time to do it.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Agree you want to keep Bakhtiari to protect the new QB as he learns. This is a development year for a young team, and a solid OL will help. No point in having a bunch of good young receiving talent if you don't have time to throw to them.
    I think trading him before the end of the season would be shortsighted for that reason UNLESS they are clearly out of the playoff hunt AND they know what they have with Jordan Love AND they have someone who can step right in at LT. Moving him in the offseason seems more likely given the cap relief they'd get... they reworked his contract this year already so they probably keep him for this season at least. I could see a world where they keep him and let the contract play out and let him explore FA after that.

What happens behind him is far more interesting to me at the moment. I think Njiman is likely the backup swing tackle and will play if/when Bakh's knee flares up or he needs a break from a turf field. His contract is up and I think they let him walk. He's on a relatively cheap deal ($4.3M) but will get money somewhere and I think they like the guys developing behind him (Caleb Jones, Luke Tenuta, Rasheed Walker). Another offseason of development and they could slide one of them in and they'd have a cheaper player and more control over the contract. The constant here is Tom - I think he could play C just fine but I think he's more valuable at OT. Next year's draft class will probably include 2-3 OL. GB is unusual because it looks like they have better depth at T than at G.

I'm pretty confident Gute and Co. have worked out a few scenarios on how to let this play out. How it actually does remains to be seen.

Sounds like the Patriots definitely had the better of the play today, after the Packers had the edge yesterday. Should make for some interesting moments Saturday night.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Agree you want to keep Bakhtiari to protect the new QB as he learns. This is a development year for a young team, and a solid OL will help. No point in having a bunch of good young receiving talent if you don't have time to throw to them.
    I think trading him before the end of the season would be shortsighted for that reason UNLESS they are clearly out of the playoff hunt AND they know what they have with Jordan Love AND they have someone who can step right in at LT. Moving him in the offseason seems more likely given the cap relief they'd get... they reworked his contract this year already so they probably keep him for this season at least. I could see a world where they keep him and let the contract play out and let him explore FA after that.

What happens behind him is far more interesting to me at the moment. I think Njiman is likely the backup swing tackle and will play if/when Bakh's knee flares up or he needs a break from a turf field. His contract is up and I think they let him walk. He's on a relatively cheap deal ($4.3M) but will get money somewhere and I think they like the guys developing behind him (Caleb Jones, Luke Tenuta, Rasheed Walker). Another offseason of development and they could slide one of them in and they'd have a cheaper player and more control over the contract. The constant here is Tom - I think he could play C just fine but I think he's more valuable at OT. Next year's draft class will probably include 2-3 OL. GB is unusual because it looks like they have better depth at T than at G.

I'm pretty confident Gute and Co. have worked out a few scenarios on how to let this play out. How it actually does remains to be seen.
    I generally agree with this post, except that I think at this point they know who they have at tackle, so they really ought to be able to trade Bakh at the trade deadline this year. Nijman has motivation to play welll in his place, though it seems clear by the way the team is playing Nijman that they don't really think he's a number one tackle and will likely let him walk at the end of the year. And that's fine. You either draft on
    OT early in the next draft, or if you thin Walker or one of the others is capable as a starter, you draft an OT developmentally. But I think it's clear neither Balk nor Nijman will be in GB next year. And that's okay.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I disagree. Its the long game move unless you are talking about Love. Its possible that keeping him helps Love succeed and would be good for his psyche long term, but moving him for a pick and clearing his salary from the books after next season is the better long play for the franchise. If Bak were 100% right now I would say he is good enough to have 5 good years left. Given they way he manages his knee and who he is, I see him playing out next year because $20 million, but I don't think he plays a snap beyond 2024. He won't say it out loud, but I think mentally he is done with football and just collecting the last of his money. If we can land a 2nd I'd be thrilled.

Gutes went all in, and now we have to retool. He turned Adams and Rodgers into some very nice picks (young players). Bak is at the end of the line and if we can turn him into another pick, its the right time to do it.
    I don't think he's done in two years. Someone will pay him. We shall see - he's made a lot of money and maybe he wants to talk away. I suspect he is going to start at least 14 games this year and do quite well. I'd rather have a #1 in a few years when the Jets are rebuilding than a 2 right now.

If keeping Bak is the difference between Love being Derek Carr and David Carr, I think I'd rather keep him though.

We are 1 injury away from being desperate at tackle if we trade bak. Unless the staff don't think he can make it through the season you do not trade bak. Uou can bank on losing at least 1 oline starter for a few games every year. Keeping bak means less risk in loves first year. He processes through his reads, let's not risk that for picks in a lottery.
    All tyrannies rule through fraud and force, but once the fraud is exposed they must rely exclusively on force.

George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Exceptions and rules, I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth View Post
    We are 1 injury away from being desperate at tackle if we trade bak. Unless the staff don't think he can make it through the season you do not trade bak. Uou can bank on losing at least 1 oline starter for a few games every year. Keeping bak means less risk in loves first year. He processes through his reads, let's not risk that for picks in a lottery.
    While I think Bakh is the guy who’s most likely to be that “one injury away” injury and thus would like to see them get what they can now before he gets hurt, I can see your point as well. It’s a good point, especially if Bakh gets through the year.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I generally agree with this post, except that I think at this point they know who they have at tackle, so they really ought to be able to trade Bakh at the trade deadline this year. Nijman has motivation to play welll in his place, though it seems clear by the way the team is playing Nijman that they don't really think he's a number one tackle and will likely let him walk at the end of the year. And that's fine. You either draft on
    OT early in the next draft, or if you thin Walker or one of the others is capable as a starter, you draft an OT developmentally. But I think it's clear neither Balk nor Nijman will be in GB next year. And that's okay.
    MiLF does seem to have disdain for Yosh. 2x he benched him on the eve of the playoffs and 2x his replacement struggled and contributed to us losing. Yosh isn't a tough run blocker, but he is so far from whatever this teams perception of him is that I don't understand it. He will get paid next year. He is a legit starting tackle at this point, but still they seem willing to move heaven and earth to try and replace him. By now Tom should be starting at C, but the team REALLY wants Yosh on the bench. My eyes don't understand it. I watched too many games with Marshall Newhouse. Yosh is solid. He does have a bad snap once in a while and I guess its perception. Some people look at a guy and only remember the bad snaps (Tex with Bak). Others watch the same guy and pretend the bad snaps are only 1 in a million (most people with Clay Mathews). Fat mike loved AJ Hawk. AJ loved to make tackles 7 yards downfield. Sometimes a coaching staff just gets a bad perception and its hard to change. Yosh needs to go to a team that never saw him as he was developing. They will only see the player he is today. Not Bak, but legit.

I'm generally with you about Yosh - he's a little above mediocre. I'd say the same about Bakhtiari when healthy - not an occasional bad play, just a whole lot of runs in his direction that don't go anywhere and QB pressures on pass plays. Neither are Marshall House level, but neither looked very damn good either IMO, not like for example the Packers interior line many times the past couple of seasons.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

I think Bakhtiari plays somewhere around 10-12 games this year, depending on his and his knee's health. The games where he doesn't will be away games on turf. I suspect they'll play Njiman at LT those games. I think he's more natural at LT and switching between LT and RT does not come easily to him. He's a decent OT and someone will pay him a lot of money next year to play for them. GB has players waiting in the wings to take over the swing tackle role.

I don't think they view Njiman as the long term answer at OT, which is partly why they are playing him (or not). It was interesting that Rasheed Walker got LT snaps with first team vs. NE, while Njiman was playing into the 4Q. Maybe they're trying to light a fire under him? Just according to the eyeball test Njiman is probably in the 40's out of top 64 OT... you can get by with him, but he's not a franchise LT. I agree he's better than Mashall Newhouse.

Sounds about right for the sacred cow, and I BET the games he doesn't play are not noticeably different from the games he plays in terms of O Line/OT play - maybe even better when he sits out.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Sounds about right for the sacred cow, and I BET the games he doesn't play are not noticeably different from the games he plays in terms of O Line/OT play - maybe even better when he sits out.
    If you watch where the help gravitates the games he doesn't play will be noticeably different. If you only watch to see if Love gets hit or not, then I agree....you won't notice the actual difference.

Jake Hanson waived/injured.

Rashan Gary taking part in team reps.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    If you watch where the help gravitates the games he doesn't play will be noticeably different. If you only watch to see if Love gets hit or not, then I agree....you won't notice the actual difference.
    Agree. Bakhtiari and Jenkins make a very good left side of the OL.

Read some of the coverage of the preseason games and you'll quickly read about issues with a team's OL. GB is rare in that they don't have many issues, any they do seem to be at C.
    How many sacks have the 2nd or 3rd string OL given up? I don't think they gave up a hit (as an 'official' stat) against NE, which is pretty remarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Jake Hanson waived/injured.

Rashan Gary taking part in team reps.
    Sure seems like the team is going to ride it out with Myers. If he doesn't play at a top-notch level, my guess is that next off-season they'll take another whack at the center position fairly early in the draft.

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Sure seems like the team is going to ride it out with Myers. If he doesn't play at a top-notch level, my guess is that next off-season they'll take another whack at the center position fairly early in the draft.
    They will stick with Myers for now. Other than the bad snap, most people seem to think that Myers played quite well against the Patriots. Did not give up a pressure and the Packers ran the ball effectively when he was in there. But the bad snaps have to stop.

Myers talked about he bad snap.

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...r/70653271007/

Myers, the center, is trained to snap the football anytime a defender jumps across the line of scrimmage. The problem was, Uche started from nowhere near the line of scrimmage. He was 2 yards off when he took two quick steps forward, enticed by Love’s hard count. Uche stopped himself before reaching the line, digging his left hand into the ground as a makeshift brake.

Myers snapped anyway.

Love wasn’t expecting the snap. Wasn’t even looking at Myers. Standing back in the shotgun, he tried to react. Love reached both hands up for the football, but it was approaching too quickly, and now it was sailing through his hands, bouncing back toward the Packers end zone.

“In the moment,” Myers said, “I was like, ‘We’ve got him.’ Then when I saw the ball soar, I was like, ‘Oh (expletive). But we’re fine. We’ve got a penalty.’ Then I turned around and looked for it, and I was like, ‘Holy (expletive). Where’s the penalty?’”

Myers didn’t see a penalty flag for good reason. Uche jumped, but he never crossed the line. Instead of a free play, this third-and-5 very much counted, regrettably. Uche chased after the bouncing football, in a footrace with Love. Both went sliding for it around the 20-yard line, some 20 yards into the backfield.

Uche recovered it at the 18.

The Patriots had a touchdown and 7-0 lead five plays later.

“Those are tough decisions,” coach Matt LaFleur said. “Because, yeah, you want to take advantage of those situations. We had a couple come up in practice over the last couple practices that got whistled dead by the officials, and it’s such a fine line. Because you have to be on time when the offensive lineman, whoever is on top of the defensive player, when they move that snap has to come. If not, they’re going to whistle it dead.