Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Training Camp Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Packers working out another QB:
    https://packerswire.usatoday.com/202...b-jacob-eason/

I know there some due diligence going on here, but with signing Mr. McGough and now working out another, I have to think the Packers aren't satisfied with their backup QB position.
    Danny Etling and Sean Clifford don't give me an abundance of confidence. If I were Gute, I'd at least bring in camp arms too. You might find someone who clicks with the system.

They did sign a WR who worked out for them; probably because Dubose and another WR were nicked up and they need players to throw to.

I'd be just about as confident with Clifford or even Etling lining up at QB as with Love at this point. I wish they'd keep Etling around as a wildcat guy or like that. Ideally, Love will justify some confidence too, but it's far from proven at this point.

Hopefully, the Packers are so loaded everywhere else that whoever is the QB can get by with being on the mediocre side of things.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Caleb Jones on the non-football illness list:
    https://packerswire.usatoday.com/202...-illness-list/
    This begs the question as to what is a football illness.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Hopefully, the Packers are so loaded everywhere else that whoever is the QB can get by with being on the mediocre side of things.
    Trent Dilfer winning a Superbowl only happens once a century. Come to think of it, I can't think of any teams advancing in playoffs in recent years without an elite QB. I guess SF won some games with a backup. Seems like NFL becomes more of a QB-centric league every year.

The best time of the year. I LOVE trainign camp. I can't wait to see what JLove can do. I can't wait to see what Jerome Dubbs can do. He is going to be a playa.

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Caleb Jones on the non-football illness list:
    https://packerswire.usatoday.com/202...-illness-list/
    This begs the question as to what is a football illness.
    Not having enough air in the ball.

Nick Foles in 2017

more common than we think I'd also include eli manning in 2007 & 2011 and maybe Brad Johnson in 2002
    Last edited by jklowan; 07-27-2023 at 05:51 PM.

ya, guess those JAGs count. Except Nick Foles had a hot streak the year Eagles won.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    ya, guess those JAGs count. Except Nick Foles had a hot streak the year Eagles won.
    also depends on what you mean by advancing in the playoffs. You mean to the SB or just the CC? Case Keenum has been a playoff winning QB. Brock Purdy. Kerry Collins, Rich Gannon, and Brad Johnson have made it to the Super Bowl. Donovan McNabb was good for a time I guess. Matt Stafford too. You can get there (or advance to a point) but you have to have something else that is elite - like a top 3 defense or offensive playmakers, or be on an extreme hot streak, but it's rare. The way the NFL is now, you need a very good offense and that generally means you have at least a good QB.

So far the early story of camp seems to be that Zach Tom is beating out Yosh Nijman for the right tackle job. Nijman's been subbing in for Bakhtieri on the left side.

Hmmmm. Could it be the Packers are going to hang on to Bakh for training camp, then ship him off to, say, the New York Jets, and make Nijman the left tackle??

Glad to see Tariq Carpenter is back at practice, too. He's going to be a better inside linebacker than he was a safety.

Also, I see the Packers are giving Van Mess the Iowa treatment - first Hollins starts ahead of him, then the next day it's Engabare starting ahead of him.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    So far the early story of camp seems to be that Zach Tom is beating out Yosh Nijman for the right tackle job. Nijman's been subbing in for Bakhtieri on the left side.

Hmmmm. Could it be the Packers are going to hang on to Bakh for training camp, then ship him off to, say, the New York Jets, and make Nijman the left tackle??

Glad to see Tariq Carpenter is back at practice, too. He's going to be a better inside linebacker than he was a safety.

Also, I see the Packers are giving Van Mess the Iowa treatment - first Hollins starts ahead of him, then the next day it's Engabare starting ahead of him.
    Due to cap implications, they ain't getting rid of Bahk this year.

Quote Originally Posted by SudsMcBucky View Post
    I don't think it's a consideration until they approach the trade deadline or in the offseason. If they trade him next year the new team pays Bahk a bargain & GB gets some cap relief.
    Personally I'd keep him at least for this year. Having a solid OL and running game will make a new QB's job easier.

The OL also gets hit by injuries every year, so I wouldn't trade Njiman either.
    If he gets a fat contract offer from someone else next year GB gets a nice comp pick. Main thing is to keep developing Tom and find the next long term OT to bookend with him.
    Bakhtiari played a lot better in the latter half of last season, but his medicals make me wonder how much longer he can play.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    also depends on what you mean by advancing in the playoffs. You mean to the SB or just the CC? Case Keenum has been a playoff winning QB. Brock Purdy. Kerry Collins, Rich Gannon, and Brad Johnson have made it to the Super Bowl. Donovan McNabb was good for a time I guess. Matt Stafford too. You can get there (or advance to a point) but you have to have something else that is elite - like a top 3 defense or offensive playmakers, or be on an extreme hot streak, but it's rare. The way the NFL is now, you need a very good offense and that generally means you have at least a good QB.
    I consider making the Championship game as elite. The Fuck Ya Four.

In my fracturing memory, the Championship game routinely features top 10 QBs, or sometimes better.

Quote Originally Posted by SudsMcBucky View Post
    I have not been keeping up very well with that side of things, Suds. What's the cap implication if they wanted to trade him this season?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I'm hoping Yosh and Runyan show enough that they can keep Tom as the backup at all positions.

I'm hoping Sean Rhyan can break the 3rd round pick jinx. If the 2nd year OL guys (Tom, Jones, Rhyan, Walker) can progress, Packers will have excellent depth on the OL
    Tom can not be kept on the bench. His is unquestionably one of the top 5 (3). For my money I try to get a 2nd for Bak and start Yosh at LT, Tom at RT. Its a downgrade, but if Yosh doesn't take that final step you have draft capital to get your LT of the future instead of desperately trying to rework Bak's deal in the offseason. You also get younger either way.

I also don't want to piss off a young guy who has earned a starting spot. Not unless you have had some real serious conversations with him and you are positive he sees the big picture.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post

Yea, I'm not the only one with that thought I see. There are many teams that would give a 2nd for Bak. Some might give a first (looking at you chefs).

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    I consider making the Championship game as elite. The Fuck Ya Four.

In my fracturing memory, the Championship game routinely features top 10 QBs, or sometimes better.
    Literally every journeyman QB the 49ers have trotted out in recent history qualify then. Also its a catch 22 statement. Hurts hasn't been a "top 10 QB" until he achieved what you say is only achieved by top 10 QBs. Stafford has been borderline top 10 in his career. His predecessor with the Rams flat out sucked. Mark Sanchez made 2? Championship games. Jimmy G made the Owl. Now that I think of it, nearly every year 1 or even 2 QBS who are NOT top 10 make it the the championship game. 4 of the last 6 Owls have had one QB that wasn't top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Tom can not be kept on the bench. His is unquestionably one of the top 5 (3). For my money I try to get a 2nd for Bak and start Yosh at LT, Tom at RT. Its a downgrade, but if Yosh doesn't take that final step you have draft capital to get your LT of the future instead of desperately trying to rework Bak's deal in the offseason. You also get younger either way.

I also don't want to piss off a young guy who has earned a starting spot. Not unless you have had some real serious conversations with him and you are positive he sees the big picture.
    I think Tom should be starting too, and at tackle not guard. Maybe he's a C, but I thought he was decent as a rookie at OT and think he's a long term player there.
    As for Bak and Njiman, I wouldn't be shocked at all if Bak gets traded and Njiman signs elsewhere in the offseason, and Gute drafts an OT to compete with the players on the roster. They have 3 depth OTs competing in Caleb Jones, Rasheed Walker and Luke Tenuta. One of those 3 could emerge as the new Njiman, and they would have more cost/contract control with them than Njiman (plus Njiman leaving likely nets them a good comp pick). Next year's draft looks potentially deeper than this year's, which was top heavy and not deep at all. Fashanu, Alt, Lathan, Barton all are being talked about as R1 picks.

Bahktiari is still a good OT and they aren't easy to find. IDK if extending him is a good idea given his knee and the money he'll likely want. Njiman is a slightly above average starter at OT, they might be able to do better there. I think the team likes him as the backup swing tackle but he's going to get starter money elsewhere. I know they like the young guys at the back of the roster, if one emerges during camp I could see them making a move. Bahktiari is likely here at least until the trade deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    I think Tom should be starting too, and at tackle not guard. Maybe he's a C, but I thought he was decent as a rookie at OT and think he's a long term player there.
    As for Bak and Njiman, I wouldn't be shocked at all if Bak gets traded and Njiman signs elsewhere in the offseason, and Gute drafts an OT to compete with the players on the roster. They have 3 depth OTs competing in Caleb Jones, Rasheed Walker and Luke Tenuta. One of those 3 could emerge as the new Njiman, and they would have more cost/contract control with them than Njiman (plus Njiman leaving likely nets them a good comp pick). Next year's draft looks potentially deeper than this year's, which was top heavy and not deep at all. Fashanu, Alt, Lathan, Barton all are being talked about as R1 picks.

Bahktiari is still a good OT and they aren't easy to find. IDK if extending him is a good idea given his knee and the money he'll likely want. Njiman is a slightly above average starter at OT, they might be able to do better there. I think the team likes him as the backup swing tackle but he's going to get starter money elsewhere. I know they like the young guys at the back of the roster, if one emerges during camp I could see them making a move. Bahktiari is likely here at least until the trade deadline.
    That makes some sense. Use him carefully, keep him healthy, show that he can still play at a high level - then trade him after you've gotten some use from him this year. It's a risk but perhaps worth taking.

I see that the Packers also claimed a center off waivers from Tennessee, who will take Garvin's spot on the roster. I also see some fumbled exchanges between Myers and Love. While I hope Myers works out, he seems the weak link on the line so far.

KYPack

I asked statmuse.com for a list of QBs who have been to championship games more than once. Statmuse asked me for $20/mo subscription. I did get a (partial?) list that may be useful. Don't know if 2x QBs are complete, and that's most interesting part. My theory is JAG QBs getting to championship games was more common before ~2010. Just my perception.

Tom Brady 14
    Steve Young 7
    Joe Montana 7
    Roger Staubach 7
    John Elway 6
    Terry Bradshaw 6
    Patrick Mahomes 5
    Aaron Rodgers 5
    Ben Roethlisberger 5
    Peyton Manning 5
    Donovan McNabb 5
    Brett Favre 5
    Jim Kelly 5
    Ken Stabler 5
    Fran Tarkenton 5
    Koy Detmer 4
    Troy Aikman 4
    Frank Reich 4
    Bernie Kosar 4
    Gary Kubiak 4
    Danny White 4
    Earl Morrall 4
    Craig Morton 4
    David Humm 4
    Jimmy Garoppolo 3
    Joe Flacco 3
    Drew Brees 3
    Kurt Warner 3
    Mark Brunell 3
    Jay Schroeder 3
    Jim McMahon 3
    Dan Marino 3
    Don Strock 3
    Bob Griese 3
    Mike Tomczak 3
    Joe Burrow 2
    Russell Wilson 2
    Colin Kaepernick 2
    Matt Ryan 2
    Mark Sanchez 2
    Eli Manning 2
    Jake Delhomme 2
    Rich Gannon 2
    Steve McNair 2
    Kordell Stewart 3
    Drew Bledsoe 2
    Kerry Collins 2
    Neil O'Donnell 2
    Steve Bono 2
    Mike Pagel 2
    Last edited by Harlan Huckleby; 07-30-2023 at 12:18 PM.