Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Training Camp Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    An Oline of Yosh, Elgon, Myers, Runyan, Tom would be top 10 still.
    Hard disagree. I think it's bottom five probably. There is a pro bowl guard, a trash LT and center, an ok guard, and then a young guy with the potential to be a starter that hasn't shown a whole lot yet. Gun to my head I keep Tom and Guard and discard the other three as trash.

Yosh is probably the worst LT in the NFL. If he was a starter at LT he would have gotten an offer aside from the Packers, no? Elgton is very good obviously.

Myers is a jag thus far. Hopefully he shows he's athletic but he looks like he's a day late and a dollar short.

Runyan is Ruyan and he's okay. You can live with a serviceable guard.

Is Tom the real deal at tackle? I think there's a good chance but jury is still out. He's undersized but so what if he plays good. We shall see.

Overall, pretty crap OL without Bak.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    There's one I'm not sure is correct -- 2007. I don't recall Peyton being bad that year. Even if he was, I sure wouldn't call pre-2010 Peyton "JAG level"..
    Peyton led the league in QB rating and TDs that year. He was 3rd in MVP voting. It's a bad take from whomever made it.

The chart is for the season, not the year the superbowlwas played. So 2007 was Eli and his 73.9 rating, not Peyton.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Hard disagree. I think it's bottom five probably. There is a pro bowl guard, a trash LT and center, an ok guard, and then a young guy with the potential to be a starter that hasn't shown a whole lot yet. Gun to my head I keep Tom and Guard and discard the other three as trash.

Yosh is probably the worst LT in the NFL. If he was a starter at LT he would have gotten an offer aside from the Packers, no? Elgton is very good obviously.

Myers is a jag thus far. Hopefully he shows he's athletic but he looks like he's a day late and a dollar short.

Is Tom the real deal at tackle? I think there's a good chance but jury is still out. He's undersized but so what if he plays good. We shall see.

Your assessment of OL play is....bad. Yosh isn't the worst LT in football. he is probably about 20. Yes, big downgrade, but he also may have improved for a 3rd straight year and be more like 12-15. Jenkins is elite. Runyan is top 25 (2 starting guards per team). Tom, unless he regresses is honestly a flat out stud. Myers isn't a JAG, its just that most people have no idea to watch blocking at the 2nd level, which he is elite at. A lot of nice Jones runs happened because Myers cut down the pursuit ILB. He does need to improve vs. the bull.

When I say still top 10, I mean about 10-12 to be honest. They can't be inside that without Bak. One thing I can say with certainty is that Yosh gets paid next year. By us or someone else....unless he regresses.

Remember, Yosh played a ton of snaps at LT and those lines still graded out pretty well.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Did you watch the games last year? Do yo project a big decline from yosh this year, as he was not horrible. He was average. Myers is far from jag, not all pro either but at least top 15 as a pure center. He is a solid blocker in run, great at pass. however his biggest weakness was line adjustments, so losing 12 will hurt him more than anyone else (unless love can tell him the adjustments like 12 did). Tom has massive upside (i think) but he is the one who might be the worst. Time will tell. I agree runyan is runyan. servicable.
    All tyrannies rule through fraud and force, but once the fraud is exposed they must rely exclusively on force.

George Orwell

Bottom 10 is very harsh.
    I think Tom had his struggles but fared quite well as a rookie, and he's put on 10-15 pounds of muscle.

Myers isn't awful, but thus far he's been a lesser player on a very good OL Njiman is a meh-level starter, a good swing tackle. He's not a liability, but he's not a franchise guy either. PFF had him at 63.1 last year at T, they had Zach Tom at 68.3. I think 60 is league average?
    FWIW, Myers was 60.4, Runyan 62.6, Jenkins 72.3, Newman 57.5.

Bakhtiari was 79.8 - so he and Jenkins graded out as the best OL, and Tom was the next closest. You can quibble about PFF grades, but my eyes (and other scouting web resources) generally agree.

The OL improved as Jenkins and Bakhtiari got healthier and settled in at their positions, and the OL shifted around less. The first 2-3 games the OL did not play well, but you also had Newman and Hanson taking meaningful snaps and players playing out of their main position.
    I would expect better OL performance from the get-go this year, APRH.

Kinda disappointed
    The thread is training camp subject
    I’m stuck in the Flatland without any news or observations
    So how are the boys playing?
    Is the Love machine doing well?
    Joe Barry has an embarrassing wealth of first and second round draft picks, how they looking?

wrestlefun
    After attending camp all of last week here are my takes:
    Love looked shakey. He had some great passes and some that the receivers were not on the same page. I think his year will mirror how Rodgers first year went but that will be told. The defense will still hold hope as long as they are not overworked. Special teams will be great at returning the ball but the newly drafted kicker in camp has been lackluster...

Haven't been many padded practices yet, so jury is out on OL and DL, although Slaton/Wyatt/Clark supposedly look good.
    I've heard little about the LBs.

Jaire has been looking really good, as have Rasul and Carrington Valentine.
    Not much news on the safeties.

WRs - all have had their moments, Watson and Doubs look fine, Jayden Reed has improved since OTAs and shouldn't be mistaken for Amari. Toure has had a few nice plays as well. Bo Melton had a nice day recently.
    Musgrave is very fast and fluid but raw. Kraft is more under the radar but both are working hard at learning the position and the team might have something there. It's waaay too early though.
    RBs - if Tyler Goodson could pass protect he'd be a lock. The R7 pick Nichols has dropped a few easy passes, he'll have to work on that.
    OL - looks like Njiman might be the swing tackle, with Tom at RT. Still early and I think they let it play out.

K - Carlson has been inconsistent. No need to panic yet. Has a big leg. Daniel Whelan does too and is giving O'Donnell competition at P. No word on LS.

Jordan Love has made good decisions with where to go with the ball, but hasn't always been accurate. The receivers have dropped a few too, but Love has looked competent. I don't think his ceiling is Aaron Rodgers, but he has arm talent and seems to be developing the mental part of the game nicely, which is encouraging. I've never been on his bandwagon, I need to see more in games. I'm definitely cheering for him to succeed.

The red zone and two minute drills have been problems for the offense (as they were last year). MLF is going to have to find a way to solve that problem.

Sounds like Davante Wyatt is going to be a monster.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GreenBayPac...devonte_wyatt/
    After all the hand-job stories last year in training camp about various players on the Packers' defense, plus the knob-polishing about the defense's play as a unit, I really thought at the beginning the of season last year that the defense could carry the team.

Not.

So I'm just not going to go along with all that stuff until these guys actually show up and play well. They seem to talk a good game but that's about it.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Packers need to focus on fundamentals and cohesion as always.

And focus on the division.

Since 2017 - we’re 10-13-1 vs the Lions/Vikes. I suppose .500 in the division is expected for average teams…

Haven't been many padded practices yet, so jury is out on OL and DL, although Slaton/Wyatt/Clark supposedly look good.
    I've heard little about the LBs.

Jaire has been looking really good, as have Rasul and Carrington Valentine.
    Not much news on the safeties.

WRs - all have had their moments, Watson and Doubs look fine, Jayden Reed has improved since OTAs and shouldn't be mistaken for Amari. Toure has had a few nice plays as well. Bo Melton had a nice day recently.
    Musgrave is very fast and fluid but raw. Kraft is more under the radar but both are working hard at learning the position and the team might have something there. It's waaay too early though.
    RBs - if Tyler Goodson could pass protect he'd be a lock. The R7 pick Nichols has dropped a few easy passes, he'll have to work on that.
    OL - looks like Njiman might be the swing tackle, with Tom at RT. Still early and I think they let it play out.

K - Carlson has been inconsistent. No need to panic yet. Has a big leg. Daniel Whelan does too and is giving O'Donnell competition at P. No word on LS.

Jordan Love has made good decisions with where to go with the ball, but hasn't always been accurate. The receivers have dropped a few too, but Love has looked competent. I don't think his ceiling is Aaron Rodgers, but he has arm talent and seems to be developing the mental part of the game nicely, which is encouraging. I've never been on his bandwagon, I need to see more in games. I'm definitely cheering for him to succeed.

The red zone and two minute drills have been problems for the offense (as they were last year). MLF is going to have to find a way to solve that problem.
    Since this really is a rebuilding year, it'd be a great year to keep Whelan and develop him - as long as he can be a serviceable holder for the new kicker, and not a holder like Cory Borkholoviwc or whatever his name was. If Whelan can tackle that job and do it well enough not to fug up Carlson's head, then why not make him your punter? You'd have a booming leg for the next few years on the cheap.

Bet we'll see a lot of Tyler Goodson in pre-season games getting a chance to show he can block.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I feel like I'm one of about 5 people concerned about the kicking position. GB's margin of error is pretty slim this year and if Carlson sails kicks wide and costs them a few games, that will be pretty frustrating.
    He's Bisaccia's guy and they will "weather the storm" with him, which is nice but I hope it pays off.

Also am very careful about any praise given to the defense. Last year proved that it was more the offense stinking than the defense excelling in camp.
    RZ offense was a problem last year and continues to be a problem. If you can't punch it in the end zone and your kicker can't kick, you're looking at a bad record.

It really is about "I hope it pays off." I expect an up-and-down year from the kid - but will he be like Brett Conway and lose his mojo and be ruined, or will the misses toughen him up and make him better?

KYPack

Towards the end of last year / none of us expected Mason to make even 45yr FGs but less 55+. Change is inevitable

I feel like I'm one of about 5 people concerned about the kicking position. GB's margin of error is pretty slim this year and if Carlson sails kicks wide and costs them a few games, that will be pretty frustrating.
    He's Bisaccia's guy and they will "weather the storm" with him, which is nice but I hope it pays off.

Also am very careful about any praise given to the defense. Last year proved that it was more the offense stinking than the defense excelling in camp.
    RZ offense was a problem last year and continues to be a problem. If you can't punch it in the end zone and your kicker can't kick, you're looking at a bad record.
    The position I'm most concerned with is k.
    All tyrannies rule through fraud and force, but once the fraud is exposed they must rely exclusively on force.

George Orwell

Good Job runpMc stepping up and giving us detailed reports, much like Joe has done other years.

I also am concerned - but hopeful - about Carlson as the kicker. I've always liked Goodson as a backup RB, Patrick Taylor too. Dillon is the one I'm kinda negative about. It's gonna be interesting when they actually start hitting, O and D both.

I'm one who doesn't put much stock in those PFF OLine numbers. What my eyes show - and I hope we can all agree, the Packers the past few years have done a great job with inside zone running/Guard-Center holes, and rarely have much success running outside. That tells me our Guards and Center are doing damn good, and the O Tackles not so much. It may not be quite so obvious, but my eyes see a helluva lot more pressure on the QB coming from the outside than inside - also indicating the interior linemen are doing the job, and the tackles not so much. And that stuff includes times when Bakhtiari has played - the reason I call him the sacred cow.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

I googled it and sacks come twice as often from exterior pressure than from interior pressure on average. If you're seeing pressure from the inside anywhere near as much as from outside, something is very wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    I googled it and sacks come twice as often from exterior pressure than from interior pressure on average. If you're seeing pressure from the inside anywhere near as much as from outside, something is very wrong.
    Which is apparently where it's been coming from in practice. Josh Myers, you're on notice.

KYPack

If I thought this team could get to the big game I would be worried. I would want Crosby back by now. Since this is a rebirth year, losing 2 games because of the kicker means better draft capital. If he isn't "right" by next year they will have a lot of competition around him, and a vet on speed dial.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.