Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Training Camp Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    Burrow and Ramsey got injured during non-contact drills this summer.

I am all for the NFLPA making work safer for the players. But last I checked, the NFL played tackle futbol. Practice makes perfect, ain’t that what they said? The Packers shouldn’t ban tackling in practice just cos injury-prone Bryan Bulaga tore out his knee in one scrimmage. Tackling in practice turns pussies (cats) into cocks (roosters), as Bear Bryant used to say during his notorious hellfire training camps at Texas AM.
    Not disagreeing with you, was just putting the teams thoughts on paper (pixels). I think if you don't tackle in practice you don't tackle well in games.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Gary coming off PUP list today.

Grant Dubose off NFI list.
    Last edited by Joemailman; 08-07-2023 at 12:25 PM.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Wow, that’s way sooner then I thought

Great news

I don’t expect Bakh to play for the Packers next year.
    I will be surprised if he plays in close to 17 games this season.
    The risk vs. reward plus his salary dictate it’s time to move on.
    Frankly, I’m surprised they stuck with him for this year. He’s definitely not earning his contract the last 3 years.

Packers sign RB Nathan McCrary. They had tried to sign him after draft as a UDFA but he signed with someone else. Alumni of Saginaw Valley St, which produced Matt LaFleur and Jeff Janis.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post

Grant Dubose off NFI list.
    I too am surprised about Gary. I'd have thought they'd play it really safe, as they usually do, and keep him on the PUP and have him miss the first six games or four games or whatever it is. Maybe they want to see him play a few games to see how he holds up before they give him a big extension? Or maybe he's just healed well.

I also thought they'd just try to stash Dubose on the PS by keeping him on the NFI list until near the end of training camp. He's got lots of ground to make up. I wonder if he'd pass through waivers to get onto the practice squad? He was, what, a seventh round pick?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I too am surprised about Gary. I'd have thought they'd play it really safe, as they usually do, and keep him on the PUP and have him miss the first six games or four games or whatever it is. Maybe they want to see him play a few games to see how he holds up before they give him a big extension? Or maybe he's just healed well.

I also thought they'd just try to stash Dubose on the PS by keeping him on the NFI list until near the end of training camp. He's got lots of ground to make up. I wonder if he'd pass through waivers to get onto the practice squad? He was, what, a seventh round pick?
    A 7th round pick should clear waivers unless he just is awesome in the preseason games. Which is unlikely given all the time he's missed. He has a lot of catching up to do. He's at best #8 right now on the WR depth chart.

Usually GB holds out players until they hit the 10 month mark, Gary was close to that. From all accounts he was an absolute beast about rehabbing, and he's still pretty young so probably healed quickly as a result. People throw around the term "athletic freak" too much in football, Gary actually qualifies. It's good news but I expect they will bring him along slowly, even into the first few games.

As for DuBose, I was also starting to think he'd just end up on IR or something. I heard it was a back injury, but he had been rehabbing it and was in a jersey on the sideline at times, so he was probably close to being ready. As it is, he's way behind and likely gets stashed on the PS. Every team has one or two guys at WR they like and want to stash, it's unlikely anyone will poach him to put him on their 53. They become fan favorites and there's all kinds of hand wringing when they get cut but end up on the PS anyway. I liked the pick and hope he turns out for GB but he's a R7 pick so it's not a big investment like Amari.

Agree he's probably #8 or #9 on the WR depth chart, he has to pass up Malik Heath and Bo Melton and maybe even the mid-camp signees (Miller, Chrest).

It's also possible they only keep 5 WRs on the 53; with the likelihood of more 2 TE sets or 2RB sets (with Deguara at FB/HB) there won't be much need for a WR6. Looking forward to games.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    I think he might not be fully healthy, and probably never will be. MLF said earlier they were working DB's practice schedule from Family Night backwards, and he basically got the week off. That tells me his knee had some kind of reaction to practicing. Maybe it's temporary, but I got the sense that it was the new normal for him to need to baby that knee a little. When he's able to go, he's been good. Wouldn't be shocked if they keep him and Njiman this year, I don't think you can trade either.
    I also wouldn't be surprised if he retired after 2024 ... this knee business will scare teams off and it seems like his knee is going to be a permanent, lifelong issue.
    Chad Clifton never practiced but was a rock. No reason Bak can't be the same if the knee allows it. I am surprised to hear this, though. I thought he was good to go.

It really does sound like Rashan has a Watt-esque work ethic.

Bakhtiari practiced today. He's at a point where he probably won't practice much.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Speaking of Gary, where the fuck is our resident redneck, GregJennings, aka, NickCollins, aka, JustinHarrell, aka, RashonGary? Ain’t heard from the dude for a while. Hope he ain’t trapped in a well.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NewsBruin View Post
    Football went downhill when they let the players have water.

If you want to see how tough they were in the good ol days, check out this documentary of my wife's alma mater. In 1899, the Sewanee Tigers won 5 road games (Texas, Texas A&M, Tulane, LSU, and Ole Miss) in 6 days and won the SEC undefeated. Also, it sounds like Hemingway levels of ultramasculine suckage.
    I know you’re joking, but not allowing water during the dog days of summer ain’t toughness; it’s torture.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

My biggest question about our team. Is our oline bad or our pass rush great.

If th epass rush is great with our corners we are set even if love is below average. And I think love is better than average.

I am getting so excited for the season, however I was last year at this time as well.
    All tyrannies rule through fraud and force, but once the fraud is exposed they must rely exclusively on force.

George Orwell

https://www.packers.com/team/depth-chart

Unofficial depth chart releases yesterday
    All tyrannies rule through fraud and force, but once the fraud is exposed they must rely exclusively on force.

George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth View Post
    My biggest question about our team. Is our oline bad or our pass rush great.

If th epass rush is great with our corners we are set even if love is below average. And I think love is better than average.

I am getting so excited for the season, however I was last year at this time as well.
    The pass rush should be good, it's a matter if they can stop the run. As for the OL, how much of the issues that we are seeing come down to center? Meyers is a weak link, and one weak link on the line can throw everything off.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    The pass rush should be good, it's a matter if they can stop the run. As for the OL, how much of the issues that we are seeing come down to center? Meyers is a weak link, and one weak link on the line can throw everything off.
    This is why I want Tom at Center. Bakhtiari and Jenkins can be a dominant left side, but it doesn't work if opposing NT's are crashing through the A gap.

Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth View Post
    https://www.packers.com/team/depth-chart

Unofficial depth chart releases yesterday
    Good to see this actually put in writing. A few surprises but not many:

Engabare buried and behind Hollins is one. Kraft behind Tyler Davis, maybe. Hanson still being there at all. Carpenter behind Eric Wilson. I thought we had a second kicker, at least in camp.

Surprising they even have a Fullback listed, Deguara there rather than backup TE.

Is Stokes still on PUP or what? - surprising he is not listed.
    Last edited by texaspackerbacker; 08-08-2023 at 11:44 AM.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

I do NOT want anybody but Meyers as first string Center. We had a dominant inside run game with him there and Jenkins at LG. I wouldn't mind seeing Tom and Nijman as the two starting Tackles.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Good to see this actually put in writing. A few surprises but not many:

Engabare buried and behind Hollins is one. Kraft behind Tyler Davis, maybe. Hanson still being there at all. Carpenter behind Eric Wilson. I thought we had a second kicker, at least in camp.

Surprising they even have a Fullback listed, Deguara there rather than backup TE.

Is Stokes still on PUP or what? - surprising he is not listed.
    Stokes will be out for the start of the season. I cant believe a guy who struggled walking a few moths ago is making cuts already.
    I have heard a lot of good about hollins surge from some podcasts i listen to. Some day i will make it to training camp. probably not until i retire though.
    I think deg was always going to be a fullback but this is one of the small tweaks to the full lafluer game plan we will see now that 12 left.
    And just a couple weeks ago i though meyers was solid, but he has something like 6 fumbled attemps to 2 different qbs in training camp now. switch that over to a season and that will be like 8 to 10 fumbles at least. a centre can not do that. At the same time Tom is a future starting tackle on this team and needs to be available if bak cant go.

George Orwell