Top WR 30+ had 718 yards. D wanted a contract that would have paid him 20M plus (signing bonus locking it in for 3 years) that kicked in at age 29 (and he turned 30 In December). Moreover he wanted it a year before his current deal was up. Those are the deals bad GMs make....like the Raiders. Now there are some exceptions, but for the most part WRs really decline right around 30. Sorry if that means a fan favorite can't get a bunch of money, but in most cases teams are simply better off developing a younger guy who adds ST value.
Yeah, kind of goes with my opinion that except for QBs giving a player a 3rd multi-year contract is playing with salary cap fire.
Getting picks for Adams vs. keeping him on that contract was a good move by Gute, not having young developed WRs who could step right in vs. having to play rookies was NOT.

I'm not surprised Adams had a good year last year, he'll probably be good this year too but after that I don't know. His elite traits are winning at the line and separation in general, I'm not sure how well that ages...better than pure speed, I'd think.