Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: WIDE UNFILTERED.....some interesting info during a boring offseason

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I wouldn't even put Montana ahead of Steve Young.
    Oh, boy.

I think Steve Young was a very underrated QB. He could throw and run and he was smart. Really great player. Better than Montana? I don't know.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I think Steve Young was a very underrated QB. He could throw and run and he was smart. Really great player. Better than Montana? I don't know.
    I thought he was highly enough rated once he got out of Tampa Bay. I'd put him ahead of Montana for his size, athleticism and arm.
    I believe in God, family, Baylor University, and the Green Bay Packers.

My heart says Montana. The stats say Young. I don't know who to believe!

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    My heart says Montana. The stats say Young. I don't know who to believe!
    Looking at the stats, nothing about Young was head and shoulders above Montana. Young ran more, but also took sacks at a much higher rate. Montana had a much longer career and leads 4-1 in SB wins. In total, I'd say Montana, but it's not big either way.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Looking at the stats, nothing about Young was head and shoulders above Montana. Young ran more, but also took sacks at a much higher rate. Montana had a much longer career and leads 4-1 in SB wins. In total, I'd say Montana, but it's not big either way.
    Montana played longer, but was also injured more often, statistically speaking. Young had a better career according to QB metrics by a meaningful amount and ran much better.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...an-joe-montana
    From 1991 to 1998, Young's average passer rating was 100.9. In fact, from 1991 to 1998, every other quarterback in the NFL combined to top a 100 passer rating just four times—three of them were in 1998.

Montana also played when the defense could do bad things to QBs and receivers. OK, compared to now Young did too, but go back and watch some of the hits Montana and other QBs took.
    Also, consider how bad SF when Montana and Walsh first got there.

In short, the NFL hadn't become the passing league it is now, and Young had a pretty good roster when he took over for Montana.

Young was great too - he's in the HOF for a reason - but I think it's Montana over Young.

I think Young had better stats relative to other QBs playing at the same time than Montana relative to QBs playing at the same time has him.

No comments in here about Rodgers reworking his Jets contract to help the team and stating (as I always thought) that he intends to play multiple more years?

My expectation is that Rodgers will play MVP level or near it, but that the Jets will founder anyway - not much if any above mediocrity.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

No comments in here about Rodgers reworking his Jets contract to help the team and stating (as I always thought) that he intends to play multiple more years?
    Correct, not comments. We don't care about him anymore, unless it impacts the draft pick we get for him next year.

My expectation is that Rodgers will play MVP level or near it, but that the Jets will founder anyway - not much if any above mediocrity.
    It hurts my brain, but yeah, it looks like two years of fully guaranteed roster bonuses (and a little salary to stay honest) that get spread out over five years, but could drop on the salary cap like an anvil on years three (2025 season), four, or five -- whenever Rodgers decides to stop playing. The $37.5m salary in 2025 is more or less a placeholder, because if he wants to play QB another season, they'll rework it and extend him longer.

As someone who's never cared much about the AFC, my question has always been: when are the Jets going to play up to the sum of their parts? I've read a lot of articles that this year's team has a lot of talent in the offensive skill positions and pass rush, but every year, the coaching staff can't turn talent into wins. Plus they've always had one or two Super Bowl favorites in their division gatekeep them from the postseason. That's going to be the case this year with the Bills' coaching and the Dolphins' speed. Aaron's going to have to get some uphill division wins to get in the playoffs.
    Last edited by NewsBruin; 07-27-2023 at 12:31 AM.
    I believe in God, family, Baylor University, and the Green Bay Packers.

They had to rework his contract as part of the trade.

This tells me he might play more than one year. If he is going to stick around, they had to do something otherwise his cap number was going to be over 107.5 million.
    https://www.jsonline.com/story/sport...t/70472920007/

Tex - The Jets were a very good team with a league worst QB last year who roughed up a Packers team badly.

This year they added your self proclaimed GOAT, and you think they're going to be mediocre? Which is it, Rodgers makes a team great or what?

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Tex - The Jets were a very good team with a league worst QB last year who roughed up a Packers team badly.

This year they added your self proclaimed GOAT, and you think they're going to be mediocre? Which is it, Rodgers makes a team great or what?
    The only thing that's guaranteed in the coming response is it won't be Rodgers's fault.
    Last edited by sharpe1027; 07-27-2023 at 02:44 PM.

I'm wondering if the JETS are making cap space for Bak, would Roders take a discount to bring on his buddy? thoughts 35 mill would more than cover the salary

I mean their O line is the only question mark, might work for both parties the extra 1st from Rodgers and a 2nd as well would be sweet.

Payton diss Hackett:
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...t/70470187007/
    What happened last year with Wilson?

“Oh, man,” Payton began. “There’s so much dirt around that. There’s 20 dirty hands, for what was allowed, tolerated in the fricking training rooms, the meeting rooms. The offense. I don’t know Hackett. A lot of people had dirt on their hands. It wasn’t just Russell. He didn’t just flip. He still has it. This B.S. that he hit a wall? Shoot, they couldn’t get a play in. They were 29th in the league in pre-snap penalties on both sides of the ball.”
    Should add some spice to the Jets-Broncos week 5 matchup.

Yeah, Payton was pretty candid about the coaches last year. Made it sound like they didn't know their ass from their elbow.
    Payton obviously isn't going to be hiring anyone from that coaching staff, or asking them to hire him in the future.

Truth is, anyone could see that Hackett was in over his head, that's why he got canned so fast. It's not like Payton is saying much that isn't news.

The most interesting thing is he's backing his QB and throwing the previous coaching staff under the bus, we'll see if that changes should Russ start the season slowly. I suppose he doesn't have much choice for now, but it will be interesting to see if Russ is washed or not. Payton is a good coach but he had some mediocre years with Brees and the Saints too.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post

Ridiculous. Rodgers even at age 40 is better than Zach Wilson or anyone else they have at QB this year or last year. They are an upgrade at the most important position, so in theory they should be better.
    They won't be sneaking up on anybody, they have a tough division, and expectations are high. They might be drinking their own kool aid, they might get hit by injuries, lots of things can happen.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect them to win more than 7 games, but anyone who expects them to be the top seed is very optimistic. Good defense, have some playmakers on offense, but their OL has issues and they're still the Jets.
    I could very easily see some team blitz the hell out of Rodgers and put him out 4-6 weeks with a broken ayahuasca and a concussion...he's not great against the blitz anymore and at 40 is much more brittle. That aside, I'd put them down for 9-10 wins and in the hunt for a WC spot. More than that is tough to imagine with 6 games against the Bills, Dolphins and Belichicks, plus games against the Eagles, Chiefs and Chargers. Their ceiling is 12 wins IMO. The AFC is tough.

All I care is that Rodgers plays at least 65% of the offensive snaps, and that the Jets suck hard this year so the Packers can get a better pick next year.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack