I thought it might be kinda fun to post what we're reading about the division rivals in training camp here.

I'll start with a bit I saw about Jameson Williams of the Lions. As you might recall, the Loins traded up to take this guy, who needed a redshirt half-season because he was hurt, which dropped his stock a bit. So, Loins traded up, got him, were ecstatic. A steal, all of that.

Well, then, as we know, he's been suspended for some minor gambling violation. Okay.

Then he tweaked a calf or a hammy prior to training camp, and missed some time there.

Now he's back, and I saw an interesting tidbit in which the big takeaway for the writer of the article was that Dan Campbell admitted yesterday that Williams may never have "elite hands," though he can be good enough to be very dangerous.

Here's a link: https://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...s/70513638007/

What caught my attention, though, is that Campbell said this: "I think, man, working his hand mechanics. He’s got to work those pre-practice, he’s got to work them post-practice. And I mean, really, he’s just got to grind on it, and even then it’s not — it’ll never be probably be like one of these elite pass-catchers that you’ve seen, but it’ll be just fine with his speed and what he’s able to do."

Then Campbell said this:

"There’s a number of things he can clean up with it and I think it’s just, man, time on task, work through it, because honestly there are some things that — just the simple change of the way your hands are by ball location, pinkie to pinkie, thumb to thumb, that’ll go a long way for him," Campbell said. "And so, we just got to keep working through it. We just got to keep working through it.”

The bolded bits caught my attention, because it suggests - to me, at least - that Williams is not really putting in the extra time to be great. If your coach says you've just "got to work those pre-practice, he's got to work them post-practice" and then says it's "time on task" and "he's just got to grind on it," that tells me that Williams is currently NOT doing those things.

Hmmm.