Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Preseason Week 2 Packers vs Patriots Meaningless Game Day Thread

Official Preseason Week 2 Packers vs Patriots Meaningless Game Day Thread

Looks like Love and the starters will play except for Bakhtiari.

#3 RB spot still open. Emanuel Wilson made a big splash last week but has to show he can handle special teams and pass pro. Patrick Taylor is old reliable.

#6 WR spot (if there is one) likely between Melton and Heath. Melton has been getting more special teams snaps but Heath has done a lot of good things. DuBose has been coming on.

Packers have 6 OL spots locked up. Rasheed Walker probably a good bet. So you have Rhyan, Newman, Hanson, Caleb Jones (injured), Telfort, Schneider and Tenuta (injured) probably fighting for 2 spots.

Austin Allen has a shot at showing he can be the #4 TE. Special teams probably the key.

At QB I expect we'll see more of McGough than we saw last week.

On DL Jonathan Ford has been making a strong push for #6 DL spot (if there is one).

With Campbell out, McDuffie should get a lot of playing time. Carpenter and Eric Wilson probably battling for #4 spot.

At EDGE Justin Hollins and Brenton Cox may be battling for 1 spot.

Safety still wide open opposite Savage. Anthony Johnson has been coming on.

At CB, Carrington Valentine continues to be the talk of camp. Innis Gaines and Shemar Jean-Charles may be competing for backup nickel spot.

Anders Carlson will calm a lot of fans nerves if he kicks well tonight. Daniel Whelan needs a huge game if he is to beat out O'Donnell.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Kickass Rat All-Pro CaptainKickass's Avatar
    Obligatory game day post.
    "Everyone's born anarchist and atheist until people start lying to them" ~ wise philosopher

Who starts at LT is my question. If its Yosh, I don't believe Gutes when he says Bak is not on the market. If its Walker then I believe him. With Newman going full David Caruso mode I don't like the depth as much as I thought I did coming into camp. Its still 6 starters deep, but some big questions pop up after those 6. Really want Walker to be for real. He has more upside than Jones or others. If anyone goes down I expect Yosh to play RT and Tom to move to said spot (unless LT, then Yosh just steps in).

Is Valentine so good that the move of Douglas can happen sooner than I expected? The defense seems so stacked, but will they decide they can't stop the run once games count?

Every year I read about WR making plays in camp, only to have them disappear in season. Is this crew for real? Will Love be good enough to get them the ball?

Ah, the smell of football is in the air.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Valentine is good in man coverage and can press. His zone skills are iffy, he's not instinctive in zone but that might come.
    He's going to get snaps in preseason with Jaire and Rasul likely not playing much/at all, and until Stokes comes back he's the #4 corner so you could easily see him in dime.
    He's not better than Rasul.

Rasul is big and smart but he's not fast/quick. He might be ok as a safety, but I don't know how quickly or easily the safety role translates from CB. You're asking him to play out of position, and I'd argue CB is a more valueable position than S, so you're devaluing him and what he's probably best at. Barry basically said (he could be lying) that Rasul was NOT being considered at safety.

Jaire would be great in the slot, and I think he could play a good number of snaps there if the opposing top WR plays there mostly. The caveat to that is that he'd be a risk in the slot on early/run downs because he's on the small side and would be an easy target to run at. A pulling guard would be trouble for Jaire, and he's had a few injuries. My guess is they prefer to have him be like Richard Sherman once was where he'd basically shut down a half/third of the field from the QB's reads.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Seriously, where the fuck is Harrell? Dude’s been MIA all summer. Must be busy “chasing cars”? Harrell, if you’re reading this, “just know that things will never change for us at all.”

I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Who starts at LT is my question. If its Yosh, I don't believe Gutes when he says Bak is not on the market. If its Walker then I believe him. With Newman going full David Caruso mode I don't like the depth as much as I thought I did coming into camp. Its still 6 starters deep, but some big questions pop up after those 6. Really want Walker to be for real. He has more upside than Jones or others. If anyone goes down I expect Yosh to play RT and Tom to move to said spot (unless LT, then Yosh just steps in).

Is Valentine so good that the move of Douglas can happen sooner than I expected? The defense seems so stacked, but will they decide they can't stop the run once games count?

Every year I read about WR making plays in camp, only to have them disappear in season. Is this crew for real? Will Love be good enough to get them the ball?

Ah, the smell of football is in the air.
    Gute was quite clear about Bakh not being on the market. I.think he was basically saying to Rodgers and the Jets "Fuck you. Find your own left tackle". I think the depth on the OL is really good. They have 6 starting caliber guys. Most teams don't have 5. And they have some other guys who wouldn't be overwhelmed.

Valentine is good, but why are people convinced Rasul can play safety? Has he ever played safety?

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Valentine is good in man coverage and can press. His zone skills are iffy, he's not instinctive in zone but that might come.
    He's going to get snaps in preseason with Jaire and Rasul likely not playing much/at all, and until Stokes comes back he's the #4 corner so you could easily see him in dime.
    He's not better than Rasul.

Rasul is big and smart but he's not fast/quick. He might be ok as a safety, but I don't know how quickly or easily the safety role translates from CB. You're asking him to play out of position, and I'd argue CB is a more valueable position than S, so you're devaluing him and what he's probably best at. Barry basically said (he could be lying) that Rasul was NOT being considered at safety.

Jaire would be great in the slot, and I think he could play a good number of snaps there if the opposing top WR plays there mostly. The caveat to that is that he'd be a risk in the slot on early/run downs because he's on the small side and would be an easy target to run at. A pulling guard would be trouble for Jaire, and he's had a few injuries. My guess is they prefer to have him be like Richard Sherman once was where he'd basically shut down a half/third of the field from the QB's reads.
    Can’t have too many good corners, ain’t that Dom Capers said?

I am failing to grasp the hypes. J-Alex is the only shutdown corner on the team. The rest are exploitable. Douglas is overrated - looks like a cover2/cover3 type corner. Nixon looks like a poor man’s Chandon Sullivan. Stokes is fast but can’t cover.

Nixon at safety? I do that on the latest version of Madden. Current 6-6 online cos Love ain’t Butte .
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

That was a shitty snap by Meyers
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

cut meyer

what an absolutely horrible fucking pic by gute

complete fucking shit

MLF talks about getting the best 5 on the field. Can he really say that includes Myers?

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Good check down to Musgrave.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    MLF talks about getting the best 5 on the field. Can he really say that includes Myers?
    well, he also just got his fat ass shoved 10 yards straight back on that run so i say no

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Great catch by Dobbs.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Myers pushes the nose back on that run. So inconsistent.

-Tim Harmston

doubs with a nice catch on a pass rodgers never would have thrown because doubs had a guy on him and was therefor "covered"

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Bad throw.

-Tim Harmston

Love is the new captain check down.

Receivers not getting separation. Patriots defense is good.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Who is 47?

-Tim Harmston

First team offense not looking good against a team that is prepared for them.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!