Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Official Final Cuts/Roster Thread

Kinda surprised they opted to go with the young Punter.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Kinda surprised they opted to go with the young Punter.
    I thought with a rookie kicker they would go with a veteran holder.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Rookie kicker, punter and a first year starting QB...could get interesting
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I thought with a rookie kicker they would go with a veteran holder.
    Same, especially given O'Donnell was a guy Bisaccia had a man-crush on for a while, and O'Donnell knows the NFCN stadiums well and how to kick in them. It's an upside move that hopefully won't backfire.
    I think after JK Scott and Bojorquez just having someone steady if unspectacular like O'Donnell was ok. Whelan does have a big leg, is cheaper, younger, and has more contract years under team control if he pans out.

Doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies, but I'm not going to speak a ST disaster into existence like when we had Bojo.

Both Carlson and Whelan can boom kicks, it's a question of whether they can do it consistently and with accuracy.

Bisaccia going to prove his worth if he gets BOTH those big legs under control. No word on him buying some dimestore glasses ala Charlie Sheen....aka "wild thing"
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

initial cuts

I just hope his leg doesn't shatter like an icicle when the weather turns cold. I remember JK Scott with some booming punts in warm weather.
    This is no time to be resurrecting the ghost of JK Scott. This kid's different. Just compare the pictures!

"The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I just hope his leg doesn't shatter like an icicle when the weather turns cold. I remember JK Scott with some booming punts in warm weather.
    Oops. Wrong picture above. HERE'S our new punter. Compare that mug to JC Scott's above:

"The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Our punter looks like a LB now.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Jace Sternberger cut, along with veterans like Christian Kirksey, Desmond King, Kenyan Drake, Colt McCoy, and James Robinson.
    (Some were likely cut for cap space)

Released/Waived

WR Cody Chrest
    OL Cole Schneider
    DL Jason Lewan
    P Pat O’Donnell

LS Matt Orzech - Will be signed later

RB Lew Nichols - Will be waived with injury settlement.

QB:
    RB: Lew Nichols, Nate McCrary
    WR: Cody Chrest, Dre Miller, Deuce Watts
    TE: Austin Allen
    OL: Cole Schneider, Jean Delance, Kadeem Talfort

DL: Jason Lewan
    OLB:
    LB: Jimmy Phillips
    CB: Kiondre Thomas, Shemar Jean-Charles, Innis Gaines, Tyrell Ford
    S: Benny Sapp

K:
    P: Pat O’Donnell
    LS: Matt Orzech, Broughton Hatcher
    Last edited by Joemailman; 08-29-2023 at 12:09 PM.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Cody Chrest, he who stood out in camp for being a sparkling white light in a universe full of dark matter, might never make an NFL team. But his Harvard education and pale skin should serve him well in the real world.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Oops. Wrong picture above. HERE'S our new punter. Compare that mug to JC Scott's above:

In essence, the Packers traded a handsome Irish (O’Donnell) for an ugly Irish (Whelen).

Good thing looks are irrelevant in the NFL. Ex-Pack, Ryan Grant, is one handsome fellow. Mad’s boi, Davante Adams, not so much. Guess who had the better career in the Green and Mustard Yellow?
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

QB:
    RB: Lew Nichols, Nate McCrary
    WR: Cody Chrest
    TE: Austin Allen
    OL: Cole Schneider, Jean Delance

DL: Jason Lewan
    OLB:
    LB: Jimmy Phillips
    CB: Kiondre Thomas, Shemar Jean-Charles, Innis Gaines
    S:

K:
    P: Pat O’Donnell
    LS: Matt Orzech
    Ah, so the Shemale Jean Claude Van Damme era comes to an end.

I am a bit surprised Innis Gaines was cut so soon. I thought the idea was that if you want to keep a guy around for the PS, you cut him last-minute in hopes that his name will get lost in the wash of all the cuts at the end. But I am guessing. Or maybe they don't want him on the PS.

I am unsure of what you meant above about Orzech being signed at a later date (?) So he was cut, but there's a hitch?

KYPack

I am a bit surprised Innis Gaines was cut so soon. I thought the idea was that if you want to keep a guy around for the PS, you cut him last-minute in hopes that his name will get lost in the wash of all the cuts at the end. But I am guessing. Or maybe they don't want him on the PS.

I am unsure of what you meant above about Orzech being signed at a later date (?) So he was cut, but there's a hitch?
    Or may Gute is playing 4 dimensional chess while the rest of the league is playing checkers.

Bill Huber is reporting that they are going to sign him back. Probably means they want to keep a guy like Tarvarius Moore or Dontayvion Wicks thru the cutdown and then IR them so they can bring them back in-season. If you get put on IR before cutdowns you're done for the year. They could easily cut both LS and resign whichever they liked better (Orzech). It's basically an end-around way to keep 53 and manage injuries.

I could see Gute and Co. looking for a S, G, or TE in the cuts to bring in. Will depend on who they keep and who is out there.

Orzech was cut. But my understanding is because he's a veteran, he doesn't have to clear waivers. He immediately becomes a free agent. So the Packers can work out a contract with him and release him today with the understanding he will be signed tomorrow. The reason they would do this is because they have a player (Wicks?) who they want to put on IR. But if the put him on IR before the final cutdown he is out for the year. So they want to carry him on the roster today and put him on IR tomorrow. At which point they would sign Orzech to the roster. I think that's what's going on here.

Brenton Cox has been told he's made the team. Malik Heath apparently has been told the same.