Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DEAR GUTEBAG----------------BRING JONATHON TAYLOR HOME

Blog Entries

DEAR GUTEBAG----------------BRING JONATHON TAYLOR HOME

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...ed/ar-AA1fZNrV

At least two teams were believed to have engaged in discussions with the Indianapolis Colts recently about a potential trade for Jonathan Taylor. One of them was the Miami Dolphins, and the second has now been identified as well.

The Green Bay Packers made an effort to trade for Taylor prior to the Colts’ self-imposed deadline of Tuesday afternoon, according to ESPN’s Stephen Holder. The Packers still have interest in the star running back, and Taylor would reportedly welcome a trade to Green Bay.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    A sign of a good GM is you kick the tires on every car that is available.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    A sign of a good GM is you kick the tires on every car that is available.
    This.

Also, in recent years GB is often named as a team "having interest" in a player, which could be as simple as asking if they are available and what the parameters for a trade would look like. i.e., kicking the tires. Allegedly TT did this too but was much more quiet about it. Taylor would be a weird fit for the current roster, but 2024 is a different story.

I'm a UW grad and about as much a Badger fan as I am a Packer fan. I'm not really in favor of bringing in Taylor unless maybe he was really cheap - which he very likely wouldn't be. He's had a LOT of wear and tear as a RB. He's on the PUP list right now, which would seem to indicate something is wrong with him right now. I consider Aaron Jones at least as good as Taylor even when healthy. I wouldn't mind trading A.J. Dillon for him, though.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Hard to read the Taylor situation. He could be on the PUP list because he's struggling to recover from surgery. He could be on the list because he doesn't want to be on the field until he gets a new contract. I don't think either scenario makes me want to give up much to get him. That said, acquiring him isn't a totally crazy idea given that it's certainly possible that Aaron Jones and/or Dillon won't he here next year.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

He's definitely dragging his feet to hurt the Colts' ability to hold the asking price. He's good to go, with 99% certainty

He had an ankle injury and surgery on it I believe. All UW backs have wear and tear on them, and they aren't alone.
    AJ Dillon came out of BC with something like 845 career rushes, being in a RBBC situation is probably good for him.

Word is Indy wanted Jaylan Waddle (and possibly picks) for Taylor. That's not happening. Most days I think Jim Irsay is a danger to himself and others.

I'd trade Dillon for Taylor, sure. The salaries wouldn't match up, and Indy would want more, especially with Dillon being in the last year of his contract. I wonder if they'd take Yosh Njiman and Emanuel Wilson instead?

It just seems weird to me, to acquire a high wear-and-tear guy who's just had surgery and wants a big, big contract. I think it's a bad idea and don't understand it at all.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    It just seems weird to me, to acquire a high wear-and-tear guy who's just had surgery and wants a big, big contract. I think it's a bad idea and don't understand it at all.
    It wouldn't make a ton of sense. Word is it was two guys in the personnel departments talking & never actually got up to the GM level.
    Taylor is 24, so he's 5 years younger than Aaron Jones, but I'd rather roll into the season with Jones/Dillon and look at drafting a RB next year to replace Dillon (who I like but has been a bit underwhelming as a R2 pick) and eventually Jones. Gute is right when he says AJones is the heart and soul of the team. Taylor will want a new contract and GB is trying to get out of cap issues now and reload for 2024-25 seasons. A fat contract for Taylor on their books isn't the smartest move. I'd rather keep that money to get other FAs or save to extend our WRs when the time comes.

Also, trading for the right to sign/extend a player to an expensive contract is rarely a good idea, because you give up draft capital AND cap space.

Taylor will get moved closer to the trade deadline. He's on the PUP list and will miss the first 4 weeks of the season anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    It wouldn't make a ton of sense. Word is it was two guys in the personnel departments talking & never actually got up to the GM level.
    Taylor is 24, so he's 5 years younger than Aaron Jones, but I'd rather roll into the season with Jones/Dillon and look at drafting a RB next year to replace Dillon (who I like but has been a bit underwhelming as a R2 pick) and eventually Jones. Gute is right when he says AJones is the heart and soul of the team. Taylor will want a new contract and GB is trying to get out of cap issues now and reload for 2024-25 seasons. A fat contract for Taylor on their books isn't the smartest move. I'd rather keep that money to get other FAs or save to extend our WRs when the time comes.

Also, trading for the right to sign/extend a player to an expensive contract is rarely a good idea, because you give up draft capital AND cap space.

Taylor will get moved closer to the trade deadline. He's on the PUP list and will miss the first 4 weeks of the season anyway.
    From what I could discern from what Guter said, it was a low-level inquiry, and he suggested maybe GB was being used to drive the price up. So no big deal, after all. Just something to keep us reading. I did like that he said Dillon was going to be part of the plan this year no matter what - that is, they weren't going to part with Dillon. Not that it likely ever got that far.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

It is very likely that the Packers have no real interest in making a deal but wanted to get involved to understand the market and have an idea just in case something unfortunate were to happen in the next few weeks. It certainly confirms that the team is not viewing Dillon as a long term solution at RB.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Blog Entries
    All these anti homer Badger Fans

Why Not JT ? He was one of the top players in the NFL two years ago and he's only 24

Trade AJ Dillon (last year of contract and might not be back anyways) and a 3rd or 4th for jT and with our two 1st round picks next year we ascend

Then give JT what every star RB wants (a huge signing bonus) in guaranteed money for the likes of 20-25 MIL and give him a 5 year deal that is team friendly in year five (so they most likely redo it or set him free. Cook the dam cap !

Ride JT and Aaron Jones (who will have a take a huge pay cut to stay anyways next year) and the Love Machine would thank us forever.......

OH............and EMBRACE THE TANK

Bretsky wants the best WR I've seen in college football in many many ears in the Marvelous Marvin Harrison JR in Green Bay next year )))

We're not going anywhere this year anyways. Nobody wants to say it, but it's a rebuild !!!!!!!!
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Melvin Gordon got cut by the Ravens and signed back on their PS. If you're a Badger homer, you could sign him to your 53 for almost nothing.
    Corey Clement got cut and is available too.

Blog Entries
    Are they 24 ?

Packers won Super Bowls with Edgar Bennett and Brandon Jackson as their leading running backs. Trading a 1st round pick for a RB coming off surgery who wants a big contract is not the best way to build a team.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Packers won Super Bowls with Edgar Bennett and Brandon Jackson as their leading running backs. Trading a 1st round pick for a RB coming off surgery who wants a big contract is not the best way to build a team.

You are right....back when we had a HOF quarterback

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    You are right....back when we had a HOF quarterback
    Who was a 5th year starter with 108 TDs and 64 INTs before the season.

Give Love some time.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Blog Entries
    I am not saying love will be bad. I continue to feel he will be decent. The great cliff crystl used to look over the roster annually and grade out how many blue chip players we had….ect ect….this might add one

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Mike Ditka would beg to differ. He, who once traded away his entire draft to select Ricky Williams #5 overall.

And how'd that work out for ol' Mikey?

Bretsky, it would be a bad move. It just makes no sense.

KYPack

Indy wants WAY too much for the rights to pay Taylor a kings ransom. Taylor wants said kings ransom. Tex is actually the voice of reason for a change.

I love Taylor and his Wisconsin roots, but I abhor paying RBs top dollar.

edit: and as to the Owl talk.....I can't recall the last team that rode the legs of a workhorse RB to a title.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.