Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Official 2023 Week 1 Packers at Bears (Love v Fields 1.0) Game DISCUSSION Thread!

Next year move Tom to center and draft OT Joe Alt from Notre Dame.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    I saw a breakdown of the Packers offense by a football guy on Twitter (don’t remember who) but he said Lafleur on week 1 had the most diversity in run plays in the league. Said he ran everything. Maybe they decided with all 2nd year players or better that they would make the run game more complex rather than making the pass game complex. In that case, Meyer isn’t doing the same runs over and over that he’s used to and has to make different kinds of blocks that he’s not used to?
    That's believable. In the past, I have disparaged a run first offense, and I really don't want the Packers to sell out completely that way even now. But that number and variety of run plays maybe was part of what made Love so effective. I said before the roster cut down I was hoping for a rotation of runners. As great as Aaron Jones is, he's probably not sturdy enough to carry too big a load. and A.J. Dillon just seems to fall down too easy as well as not being very shifty. Even if Jones can play, I'm hoping to see a lot of Patrick Taylor and Emanuel Wilson against the Falcons and going forward.

I'm thinking LaFleur was trying out a lot of things against the Bears, trying to see what in the playbook worked the best. Ultimately, I think he makes both the run game and passing game complex. That seems to be his thing.

Regarding Myers, you're probably right about different blocking schemes - him and the rest of them. Some of what the detractors perceived as weakness or not much push forward may have been pulling, as I saw him do several times. Whatever the "ya'all" crowd may think of Myers, I (and I think the Packers staff) aren't gonna move Tom to Center because he's doing too good a job at Tackle.

As I have said, continuity of personnel is a key to good O Line play.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Yet the huge majority of the Packers run success the past couple of years has been through the Guard/Center hole. It wasn't like that before Myers came along, not even with Linsley who got almost as much praise as the Sacred Cow. There's a group of dumbasses in here who seem to be be in denial of that. RG, ya'all should open your eyes - and maybe believe what you see.
    Any stats to backup the difference in success running behind center before and after Meyers? Otherwise I'm inclined to give your unsupported argument no credibility.

Observability. The burden of proof for stat gathering is with ya'all who like to try and go against what is plainly observable.

Observability. The burden of proof for stat gathering is with ya'all who like to try and go against what is plainly observable.
    I observed the opposite. Burden is now on you.

What we have is a clear cut a case of arm chair QBs arguing about what they personally observe in Myers play.

Sarcasm font on:"If only there were neutral parties that watched ever play and graded how Meyers did, we could settle this." Sarcasm font off.

Linsley > Myers. The Pro Bowl and especially the All Pro nods should settle that argument, unless you need to look at PFF grades or someone like Andy Herman's grading.
    They have been pretty good at inside zone for a while, predating Myers. On Sunday Andrew Billings gave Myers some problems and his run blocking wasn't up to snuff. His pass blocking was fine though. He's not a liability but GB can and will look to get better there in the offseason.
    I know they picked up the ex-Bangal Jordan who was also a C/G at OSU, but I think he's a G depth piece and signals they are good with Tom at RT.

Two unrelated random observations:
    (1) MLF schemed up some nice things in the plan for this game. The Packers O used a TON of pre snap motion, you never saw that much with Rodgers (who famously hated it). It caused CHI some trouble, for example on the first Doubs TD. They also used a LOT of different formations, which also stresses a defense.
    (2) With some reluctance, I have to give Barry and defensive coaches some credit for scheming up something approaching aggressive creativity. They ran an absurd number of DL stunts and twists. Combined the overall athleticism of the DL it gave the Bears OL fits. Braxton Jones was a Day 3 steal for them at LT and he looked bad. Cody Whitehair, Nate Davis... they aren't terrible players but they looked overmatched. Devante Wyatt was credited for as many pressures (SIX) as the entire Bears defense.

I don't know if this will continue; I expect by Week 5-6 teams will have countered some of these items and it will be up to the GB coaches to make their adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    What we have is a clear cut a case of arm chair QBs arguing about what they personally observe in Myers play.

Sarcasm font on:"If only there were neutral parties that watched ever play and graded how Meyers did, we could settle this." Sarcasm font off.
    I'm neutral I think. I supported the pick and pointed out why he was a fit for us. I've said he was pretty solid as a rookie and last year I thought he was "meh" but coming off an injury. I have even supported him being the starter most of training camp. After the last 2 preseason games and this game, I have changed my mind based on what my lying eyes tell me.....he fucking sucks.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    I observed the opposite. Burden is now on you.
    Then you're blind or stupid hahahaha.

Then you're blind or stupid hahahaha.
    If you see opposite me, you're blind AND stupid. Prove me wrong.

Per run's post, I've been wondering if secretly MLF is having fun this year, being able to dial up his own stuff and take control of the offense. I'm sure he loved ARod as his QB and all, but still, it's gotta be fun to feel like he's got the freedom to really run this offense his way.

Now will he love it so much when the Packers' offense plays like shit and can't put up points? We'll see. But for now, it's more the offense that I think we all expected when he came here, and that he ran more in the first year, until Rodgers kinda deep-sixed a bunch of stuff, or so it seemed to me. Lots less motion and all that.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Per run's post, I've been wondering if secretly MLF is having fun this year, being able to dial up his own stuff and take control of the offense. I'm sure he loved ARod as his QB and all, but still, it's gotta be fun to feel like he's got the freedom to really run this offense his way.

Now will he love it so much when the Packers' offense plays like shit and can't put up points? We'll see. But for now, it's more the offense that I think we all expected when he came here, and that he ran more in the first year, until Rodgers kinda deep-sixed a bunch of stuff, or so it seemed to me. Lots less motion and all that.
    Definitely. And to be honest, in a lot of ways it looked smoother than games with 12. I think Rodgers made it harder than it had to be in a lot of ways.

Mildly concerned to see him throw behind guys a couple times. Seemed to be consistently a little behind. I imagine he practiced all training camp and had a feel for the speed with the guys having training camp legs. I would imagine the load they put on them leading up to real games is kind of optimized for them to be 100% for Sundays. Maybe his guys were a little peppier than he was used to.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.