Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: Week 1 Other Games Thread

I think it was worth it. Rasheed Walker looks like a legit above average LT. This is Bakhs last year. We have options at center if they give up on Meyers. And Meyers is probably average if you compare him to the rest of the league and not what we’re used to.

Rodgers dealt with the last couple years of average OL play. Love steps into an ideal situation the way things played out. I’ll take the lower picks for Love to get to learn in an ideal situation. And the receivers are ready now too. Love is in the perfect spot for a first year starting QB and that wouldn’t have been the case a year or two years ago. Rodgers dealt with the issues for him. Thanks 12.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

there was the R1 pick swap also, that doesn't sound like much but moving up in R1 usually costs you a Day 2 pick.

JSO cited some 2021 study by some Foot & Ankle Institute or whatever that stated 24% of players don't make it back. He's going to be 40 in December and has an injury history.

Feel bad for the guy. Feel bad for the fans too -- dude didn't even complete a pass for them.

The play where he got hurt he was holding the ball. Was a 3 step drop and Wilson was open but it looked like he double clutched it and tried to look elsewhere and by then it was too late. Both tackles were doing lunging/cut blocks, so either they are both complete trash or they weren't expecting him to hold the ball. Rodgers tried to do Rodgers stuff that hasn't worked much recently, and this time it got him seriously hurt. An Achilles injury is no joke.

I think Rodgers overall had pretty good OL play in GB. Guys like Billy Turner, Rick Wagner, Jared Veldheer that they brought in played pretty well for them. Last year to start the season the OL was rough, mostly because they started Jake Hanson and Royce Newman -- basically everyone in this forum was screaming about what a bad idea that was AND THEY STILL DID IT. Both Bakhtiari and Elgton took until mid-season to round back into form from injuries, which isn't that surprising really. At that point the OL improved.

GB's OL has had some garbage games, but if you look at their performance over a season, or season by season, they rank pretty well. Maybe not top 5 but usually Top 10 which isn't nothing. As you watch other OLs around the league you'll likely agree.

2024: Kirk Cousins is not brought back and the Jets trade Rodgers to Vikings. History repeats itself.

Kidding. It's unlikely they trade him given his cap hit and what they gave up for him.

Does it occur to you that none of those guys with the possible exception of Turner ever did much anywhere else after they left the Packers? That reinforces the idea that Rodgers made the O Line look good. Were they really good then? Are they really good now? Did Love also have enough mobility and quick release to make them look good? Or was it just one game - against the sucking Bears - and things will be different going forward? I guess we'll see.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    I thought the Ravens TD catch was best ever. One day later, I think this catch might be better.
    Not Ravens, Jaguars for the first TD catch.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    I think Rodgers overall had pretty good OL play in GB. Guys like Billy Turner, Rick Wagner, Jared Veldheer that they brought in played pretty well for them. Last year to start the season the OL was rough, mostly because they started Jake Hanson and Royce Newman -- basically everyone in this forum was screaming about what a bad idea that was AND THEY STILL DID IT. Both Bakhtiari and Elgton took until mid-season to round back into form from injuries, which isn't that surprising really. At that point the OL improved.

GB's OL has had some garbage games, but if you look at their performance over a season, or season by season, they rank pretty well. Maybe not top 5 but usually Top 10 which isn't nothing. As you watch other OLs around the league you'll likely agree.
    He’s had Clifton, Tausch, Sitton, Lang, Wells, Lindsley, Tretter, Bulaga, Bakh, Jenkins, Runyan and several other solid players. There were some average years mixed in but never bad. And usually top 10 and several years top 5.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Agree. They've also had pretty good OL coaching and/or scouting. The fact that they have been able to get Day 3/UDFA players to be more than competent tackles is more than the vast majority of teams can boast. Usually you're trotting out a R1 pick at OT or overpaying for one in FA. Being able to find and develop guys like Tauscher, Bakhtiari, Njiman, and now probably Rasheed Walker says something. Getting "good-enough" out of guys who were more or less washed up is noteworthy.

Yes, QB play certain helps, but you can't ignore the OL is still performing well with Rodgers gone.

It was more noticeable early in Rodgers career, and late in BF's career. Often (especially under Campen) the OLine looked dubious at the start of the season, with the QB helping things with quick throws, and some escaping. By the end of the season, the OLine was playing well and people were saying it was good, forgetting the start of the season. Lately the OLine has been more consistent from the start of the season, but Rodgers was holding the ball longer looking for the perfect play, so pressure would eventually get there. Behind a poor line, that tendency was an accident waiting to happen. Unfortunately, it happened almost immediately.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    It was more noticeable early in Rodgers career, and late in BF's career. Often (especially under Campen) the OLine looked dubious at the start of the season, with the QB helping things with quick throws, and some escaping. By the end of the season, the OLine was playing well and people were saying it was good, forgetting the start of the season. Lately the OLine has been more consistent from the start of the season, but Rodgers was holding the ball longer looking for the perfect play, so pressure would eventually get there. Behind a poor line, that tendency was an accident waiting to happen. Unfortunately, it happened almost immediately.
    Agree with this take. Early on, I was not a fan of Coach Campen. He either needed a few years to figure out how to coach the players, or he needed better players but eventually he turned into a pretty good OL coach. Personally I think Stenovich is an even better OL coach, and probably a bit overmatched as an OC. Luke Butkus as OL coach is ok, I think he's figured it out after working under Stenovich.

If you have an iffy OL, quick throws and three step drops can frustrate a pass rush. Eventually the defense will figure it out and adjust, but that's the chess match. Rodgers was holding the ball on at least two of his dropbacks and the OL wasn't expecting it. Got himself hurt looking for that early killshot. I think that's been a flaw with Rodgers for years - he'll pass up the good play to wait for the perfect play...but that big play may never materialize and then you have to either YOLO or dump it.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Yeah we just played AFCE last year, I think it's AFCN next year?

As for Rodgers, tough news. He had a calf injury during TC, wonder if that contributed to it. As others have said, an Achilles means he's done for the year and possibly for good. I don't wish injury or misfortune on him. If this is it - and I doubt it is - he had a hell of a career.
    Personally I think he'll rehab like crazy and make that his weirdo thing. Not quite Russell Wilson rehab weird, but close. He's got that shoulder chip along with the diva mentality, seems like he'll give it a go...plus he can tell anyone who listens that it proved a multi year commitment to the NYJ.

I do think a serious injury like that is inevitable for any QB approaching 40. Very few last that long, and basically everyone who plays in the NFL gets a serious injury. Zach Wilson is not a great QB and GB should expect a top half R2 pick next year.

Also - is the Josh Allen is a great QB actually true or hype?
    I started saying it mid season last year. Josh Allen is way over rated. He is turning into post Holmgren Brent Favre.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    My expert keyboard opinion is that Rodgers did NOT rupture his achilles. He got off the cart and limped in the tunnel. Guys with a ruptured achilles don't even limp in my experience. Of course I said guys whose heart stops after a blow to the chest don't stand up and take 2 steps before collapsing and Hoosier corrected me with a study saying Pigs can do it so I could be wrong.
    Proving that my mom was right when she told me I wasn't smart enough to be a Dr.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Does it occur to you that none of those guys with the possible exception of Turner ever did much anywhere else after they left the Packers? That reinforces the idea that Rodgers made the O Line look good. Were they really good then? Are they really good now? Did Love also have enough mobility and quick release to make them look good? Or was it just one game - against the sucking Bears - and things will be different going forward? I guess we'll see.
    Rodgers OL has been peppered with Pro Bowlers and alternates his entire career. The guys mentioned did things BEFORE they were with us. They were stop gaps to shore up a weak point for a year or 2. Or depth pieces. You are the only guy on the planet that thinks Rodgers had subpar OL play in front of him for the better part of his career. That should be a hint you are probably wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Perfect take. I Also agree with you and Run.

Rodgers OL has been peppered with Pro Bowlers and alternates his entire career. The guys mentioned did things BEFORE they were with us. They were stop gaps to shore up a weak point for a year or 2. Or depth pieces. You are the only guy on the planet that thinks Rodgers had subpar OL play in front of him for the better part of his career. That should be a hint you are probably wrong.
    Pretty much my point. He made a LOT of O Linemen past and present seem better than what they were. BTW, you may be correct about the prevailing opinion in here, but there are a lot of people outside of here who see Bakhtiari and some others about the same way I see him.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Since Bak is a perennial all pro i would say you are incorrect.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Proving that my mom was right when she told me I wasn't smart enough to be a Dr.
    Plenty of folks are doctors without holding a medical degree. Just gotta be smart enough to get into a
    Ph.D program and write a clever doctoral dissertation. Shit costs tons of frogskins, though, which handicaps tons of smart folks from ever being doctors.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.