Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: More Banjo - Packers vs Bears

Oh, and I think romeo doubs has wsy more potential than I gave him credit for last year.

He looks like loves security blanket. Watson Musgrave and Reed are going to get lots of highlights this season but I think doubs might be the most important wr on the roster for love.

Nixon is a bit of a liability. We need stokes back bad.
    Last edited by Upnorth; 09-11-2023 at 08:42 AM.
    All tyrannies rule through fraud and force, but once the fraud is exposed they must rely exclusively on force.

George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth View Post
    Oh, and I think romeo doubs has wsy more potential than I gave him credit for last year.

He looks like loves security blanket. Watson Musgrave and Reed are going to get lots of highlights this season but I think doubs might be the most important wr on the roster for love.

As the season goes on, I think Nixon may lose playing time to Carrington Valentine.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    As the season goes on, I think Nixon may lose playing time to Carrington Valentine.
    It wouldn't shock me if they determine that Nixon is a much better special teamer than nickel/slot corner. He's aggressive and tough and you need that in the slot, but he's definitely not the best in coverage.
    Charles Woodson was the prototype for what you need there, but those types of players are extremely rare. Still, you can get by with less than Woodson there and Nixon will suffice for this year. I wouldn't be surprised if Jaire moves into the slot on passing downs when Stokes comes back.

Re: the Jordan Love pass chart - check out Fields' chart. It has similarities to late GB-era Rodgers - a lot of screens and behind the LOS throws. Seemed like by the 2H those screens were figured out by GB and were only going to get the CHI WRs hurt so they just had Field dump off the Rbs in the flat ad nauseum. A lot of CHI fans mad at Getsy, they didn't like the game he called and... that's probably fair. I think execution especially on the OL was a problem for them. They threw the ball 37 times but only twice to DJ Moore. GB's defense actually decided to cover a WR1, which was nice. I don't think he had a lot of time to throw, and he still looks like a slow processer with a bit of a windup in his throwing motion (for a pro QB). I think pocket pressure is always going to be an issue for him.

Still find it interesting that CHI didn't blitz much when they realized they couldn't get pressure on JL. I think that Eberflus D is pretty heavy on Cover 2 zone, so maybe that's why. You have to get home rushing 4 though, and they don't have the horses for that.

GB made a lot of mistakes too. They showed the same habit they had last year of having one drive per game where the defense absolutely self-destructs with dumb plays and penalties. Offense was intermittent. Dillon had trouble with hitting the hole - not sure if CHI was playing the run that well or what, but Dillon kept having to make a cut right at the LOS and his momentum would just die. Young receivers need to work on hands-catching. I think the fumbled exchange between Love and Myers that led to the big Musgrave catch was on Love, looked to me like he just didn't have a good grip and dropped it.

Great to see us win.
    However

1)the bears were the worst team in the league in 2022 so what did we learn.
    2)those 5 (I think) drops will kill us vs good teams.
    3) how is Jones hammy?
    However
    1) Musgrave holy crap!
    2)oline still great
    3)young d played great
    4)love was great. Didn't dink and dunk and at least 80% of his balls were quality. He converted all 3 red zone passes!

I like our o. What does our d do against an NFL offense?
    Your first three:

1. True, but they weren't really as bad as their record. And somebody like Fields is always a danger, especially to the Packers - historically speaking.
    2. Pass drops bad; Honestly, I didn't notice that many in the context of all the good stuff. I would think that means good can even get better.
    3. Jones is quoted as saying he knows what a pulled hamstring feels like, and this wasn't one. Hopefully, his medical expertise is as good as his running hahahaha.

Your bottom four:

1. I didn't think Musgrave was all that bad. First game, he might have been a bit nervous. Stumbling is like shit, it happens. And he DID catch the pass. He's gonna be not just good, but great.
    2. O Line great, yes. Not sure about the still part hahaha. Possibly the best pass blocking I've ever seen from a Packer O Line. Run blocking was ok, but I've seen better. I think the Bears plan was to load up to stop the run and let Love try to beat them. That worked about as good as most things the Bears do hahahaha.
    3. A big hell yeah about the D. If Joe Barry keeps this up, I and a lot of others might have to stop hating him. Still too many missed tackles, though.
    4. Yes on Love being great. LaFleur had him dinking and dunking early, but when he unleashed him and let him drop deep and throw it downfield, the kid did great. And best of all, he was downright Rodgers-esque in taking care of the ball/not throwing picks.

I like our O AND our D. I think they will (and this depends on Barry's newfound good sense continuing) do even better when they don't have the constant specter of the QB taking off for a big gain to worry about.

I say again, this Packer team is loaded.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    It wouldn't shock me if they determine that Nixon is a much better special teamer than nickel/slot corner. He's aggressive and tough and you need that in the slot, but he's definitely not the best in coverage.
    Charles Woodson was the prototype for what you need there, but those types of players are extremely rare. Still, you can get by with less than Woodson there and Nixon will suffice for this year. I wouldn't be surprised if Jaire moves into the slot on passing downs when Stokes comes back.
    Yes, a lot of good observations. I don't know if they will use Jaire in the slot sometimes when Stoles comes back, but I'd like to see it. It seemed like they coulda or shoulda done that last year but chose not to. Douglas was great yesterday playiing outside. I wonder if Valentine could handle the outside with Jaire in the Slot. Nixon is a great kick returner but just ok at best as a Corner.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Your first three:

1. True, but they weren't really as bad as their record. And somebody like Fields is always a danger, especially to the Packers - historically speaking.
    2. Pass drops bad; Honestly, I didn't notice that many in the context of all the good stuff. I would think that means good can even get better.
    3. Jones is quoted as saying he knows what a pulled hamstring feels like, and this wasn't one. Hopefully, his medical expertise is as good as his running hahahaha.

Your bottom four:

1. I didn't think Musgrave was all that bad. First game, he might have been a bit nervous. Stumbling is like shit, it happens. And he DID catch the pass. He's gonna be not just good, but great.
    2. O Line great, yes. Not sure about the still part hahaha. Possibly the best pass blocking I've ever seen from a Packer O Line. Run blocking was ok, but I've seen better. I think the Bears plan was to load up to stop the run and let Love try to beat them. That worked about as good as most things the Bears do hahahaha.
    3. A big hell yeah about the D. If Joe Barry keeps this up, I and a lot of others might have to stop hating him. Still too many missed tackles, though.
    4. Yes on Love being great. LaFleur had him dinking and dunking early, but when he unleashed him and let him drop deep and throw it downfield, the kid did great. And best of all, he was downright Rodgers-esque in taking care of the ball/not throwing picks.

I like our O AND our D. I think they will (and this depends on Barry's newfound good sense continuing) do even better when they don't have the constant specter of the QB taking off for a big gain to worry about.

I say again, this Packer team is loaded.
    My Musgrave comment was holy crap he is good. His 1st game production is like our last 4 rookie te full year production combined. I exaggerated but still I can't remember any rookie te since Finley that productive and ready.
    All tyrannies rule through fraud and force, but once the fraud is exposed they must rely exclusively on force.

George Orwell

3-TD Games (Passing) at Soldier Field:

Fields 1
    Love 1

Games Started at Soldier Field:

Fields 14
    Love 1

General sentiment from Bears faithful:

https://i.redd.it/z2ole8ajjinb1.jpg

George Orwell

My Musgrave comment was holy crap he is good. His 1st game production is like our last 4 rookie te full year production combined. I exaggerated but still I can't remember any rookie te since Finley that productive and ready.
    Not even Finley. He didn't have a catch until the 8th game of his rookie year. He didn't become a player until his 2nd year. I think Bubba Franks was the last Packers rookie TE to have an impact as a rookie.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Football Focus

TOP FIVE, OFFENSE

1. RT Zach Tom: 84.8
    2. WR Romeo Doubs: 78.4
    3. LT David Bakhtiari: 78.3
    4. RB Aaron Jones: 71.3
    5. WR Samori Toure: 66.9

TOP FIVE, DEFENSE

1. LB Quay Walker: 92.1
    2. OLB Rashan Gary: 83.4
    3. DL Devonte Wyatt: 82.5
    4. CB Rasul Douglas: 75.7
    5. S Darnell Savage: 72.3

BOTTOM FIVE, OFFENSE

1. C Josh Myers: 44.0
    2. TE Josiah Deguara: 47.3
    3. WR Dontayvion Wicks: 47.7
    4. TE Tucker Kraft: 53.2
    5. RB A.J. Dillon: 55.0

BOTTOM FIVE, DEFENSE

1. CB Keisean Nixon: 49.3
    2. LB Isaiah McDuffie: 49.3
    3. S Rudy Ford: 52.1
    4. DL Karl Brooks: 54.8
    5. S Jonathan Owens: 57.3
    Source: https://packerswire.usatoday.com/lis...ek-1-vs-bears/

No Studs/Duds Thread, but this thread should suit just fine.

Bold emphasis mine. Good show by Doubs with Watson not playing. Tom had one really nice block on the Showtyme's TD run. Evidently he's also performing well outside of highlights. Explains why Walker and Nijman are riding pine.

Quay and Wyatt playing well is nice, but Quay will almost certainly miss a game and Wyatt will need to do something against better-than-middling offensive line competition before I feel good about him. Savage had a good game, it seems. I know he sniffed out one screen and made a decisive tackle. I'd love for him to become an above average player.

Not much to mention on D for negatives. On offense, WOW would it be nice to have Creed Humphrey right now instead of Josh Myers.

There's been a lot of talk about Jordan Love possibly being better than last year's version of Rodgers. Love's 123.2 rating was better than all but two games last year (CHI #1, DAL). Love's 3-0 TD-int was only matched once last year (DAL). On the other hand, Love's 55.6 completion percentage was worse than all but one game last year (DET #1).
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

That might have more to do with a QB who for 1, didn’t like to work with rookies, and 2, a QBwho rarely looked over the middle and/or utilized TEs

FUCK CHICAGO

Normally I disagree with Tex when he rants about media types being know-nothing shits, but he might have a point:
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Surprised by Kurt's pick. He reviewed Love as better than Fields in the preseason analysis.

My Doubs comp is Michael Thomas. I see Dobbs being a perrenial 100 catch guy, but generally around 1200 yards.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    There's been a lot of talk about Jordan Love possibly being better than last year's version of Rodgers. Love's 123.2 rating was better than all but two games last year (CHI #1, DAL). Love's 3-0 TD-int was only matched once last year (DAL). On the other hand, Love's 55.6 completion percentage was worse than all but one game last year (DET #1).
    For a first time as THE starter I'll take it. He stayed within himself. Showed some nerves early but calmed down. Success breeds confidence and confidence breeds success.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    That might have more to do with a QB who for 1, didn’t like to work with rookies, and 2, a QBwho rarely looked over the middle and/or utilized TEs
    The Skinny slant to Jones reminded me of the crosser TD to Watson last year vs. Philly. Both are passes Rodgers just wouldn't throw.