Bahktiari is, when available, still a very good LT

Turf will ALWAYS be an issue for him.

10 games of Bahktiari is better than zero.

10 games for $40M is a LOT

I don't think he's alone in hating turf. The big linemen don't like it, it's hard on the joints, and those who get tackled and landing on it also say it's like concrete. Players who wear molded cleats (mostly QBs and kickers IIRC) can get their feet stuck in it and get injured (see: Rodgers, Aaron) as well. Some of the smaller/quicker players like it because they can really cut and move fast on it, but that's about it. If pro soccer players won't play on it, I'm not sure why football players have to. The main reason stadiums have it is so they have a Taylor Swift concert on it two days before the game and not worry about it being trashed and trampled.

I don't think this is a big drama or distraction. The team is just working with Bahktiari's knee as much as they can so he plays as much as he can. I think if there was a playoff game on turf he'd give it a go, but his knee might not react well in the days/weeks following that game.
Given they reworked his contract a bit and paid out a chunk of his salary already means they want him dressing for GB and protecting Love's blindside... for this year. I don't know if he is on the roster next year, especially if they can get something from Rasheed Walker or another OT.

I'm not sure what a team is going to give you for an aging LT who might be able to play the majority of your season. Jets play on turf, I don't think he'd want to play there tbh, even with his buddy Rodgers.