Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: DAVID BACKTIARI----MORE DRAMA------IS IT REAL ????

Bahktiari is, when available, still a very good LT

Turf will ALWAYS be an issue for him.

10 games of Bahktiari is better than zero.

10 games for $40M is a LOT

I don't think he's alone in hating turf. The big linemen don't like it, it's hard on the joints, and those who get tackled and landing on it also say it's like concrete. Players who wear molded cleats (mostly QBs and kickers IIRC) can get their feet stuck in it and get injured (see: Rodgers, Aaron) as well. Some of the smaller/quicker players like it because they can really cut and move fast on it, but that's about it. If pro soccer players won't play on it, I'm not sure why football players have to. The main reason stadiums have it is so they have a Taylor Swift concert on it two days before the game and not worry about it being trashed and trampled.

I don't think this is a big drama or distraction. The team is just working with Bahktiari's knee as much as they can so he plays as much as he can. I think if there was a playoff game on turf he'd give it a go, but his knee might not react well in the days/weeks following that game.
    Given they reworked his contract a bit and paid out a chunk of his salary already means they want him dressing for GB and protecting Love's blindside... for this year. I don't know if he is on the roster next year, especially if they can get something from Rasheed Walker or another OT.

I'm not sure what a team is going to give you for an aging LT who might be able to play the majority of your season. Jets play on turf, I don't think he'd want to play there tbh, even with his buddy Rodgers.

Rob Demovsky
    @RobDemovsky

Packers coach Matt LaFleur said David Bakhtiari had swelling in his knee leading up to Sunday's game.

"His knee is injured," LaFleur said.

LaFleur does not believe that Bakhtiari's absence was related to turf and that he wouldn't have played if the game was on grass, either.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Rob Demovsky
    @RobDemovsky

Packers coach Matt LaFleur said David Bakhtiari had swelling in his knee leading up to Sunday's game.

LaFleur does not believe that Bakhtiari's absence was related to turf and that he wouldn't have played if the game was on grass, either.
    He has swelling I’m sure every week. His knee is jacked. I’ll bet the turf played a role. He’s already a gigantic injury risk. No need to make it worse by playing on turf.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Bretsky, you're being overly dramatic. The guy is clearly damaged goods at this point. My guess is he'll play when he can, and mostly not on turf - he seems to have a passionate hatred of it - and when he does play, he'll play well. Tex is full of shit that there was no drop off with Bakh not out there. Rasheed Wallace got his ass handed to him many, many times, and it couldn't have helped the play book that they needed to keep a tight end on the left side to help block.

He's probably done after this year, if he doesn't re-hurt his knee before. But it is what it is, and I don't think he's as big a dick as you make him out to be.

I think if Sundays game was on grass he would have played and at this point gb doesn’t know how to spin this
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Rob Demovsky
    @RobDemovsky

Now here is the scripted response I would have expected right after the game. He needed an extra
    Day to come up with it. Back should retire
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Now here is the scripted response I would have expected right after the game. He needed an extra
    Day to come up with it. Back should retire
    If he retires, I believe we still have to pay him. Better to keep him on The roster and play him when available. Cut him next year if he doesn’t retire on his own, which is what will probably happen.

Retire and pay back the prorated part of his signing bonus….. nah. Next year is the first time we have a real chance to cut him. And that’s what will happen.

He’s still good though. And it keeps wear and tear off of Rasheed.

From what I've read, even if we hound Bakh for the prorated part of the signing bonus after retirement, that wouldn't get credited back to our salary cap.

It seems to be the custom when someone retires to let them keep the whole of their signing bonus, even though it's written in the agreements that a team can try to claw back the prorated portion. If that won't affect our salary cap, then the stank it puts on our reputation for free agents and extensions isn't worth the Monopoly Money.
    I believe in God, family, Baylor University, and the Green Bay Packers.

It’s a strange precedent…

What about weather. Maybe I don’t like playing on rainy or snowy days. Or when it’s not/humid.

Or short weeks.

Or Thursdays.

I think it’s terrible on NFL for turf fields - but this is a mess waiting to happen imo.

There's a lot of speculation about insane things here. Is there any reason to think he didn't want to play on turf, or that he's only going to play every other game, or any of the other wild possibilities here? Maybe he really just tweaked it. Who knows. I feel like there is a lot of assuming the worst in folks in here. Bak is an all-world .001% guy in the general population aka a very impressive person in all facets of life. I highly doubt he would mail it in.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    There's a lot of speculation about insane things here. Is there any reason to think he didn't want to play on turf, or that he's only going to play every other game, or any of the other wild possibilities here? Maybe he really just tweaked it. Who knows. I feel like there is a lot of assuming the worst in folks in here. Bak is an all-world .001% guy in the general population aka a very impressive person in all facets of life. I highly doubt he would mail it in.
    Facts in this situation:

Bakh has a knee that kept him out for a whole season and then when he tried to come back a year later was down again until the start of the next season (18 months post injury)

Even after 18 months he was still having issues practicing and consistently playing on the knee

Even now, 2.5 years since the injury, he is having flare ups on the knee that prevent him from practicing and sometimes playing

Bakh has spent the last several years panning for change in the NFLs surfaces, calling for grass fields across the board. He claims synthetic surfaces cause injury.

What types of things are far fetched exaggerations or assumptions in this thread?

Seriously? Other than the fact he has been screaming it at the top of his lungs for 2 years, no....there is nothing else to suggest it.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

But he played 2 out of 3 games on turf last year? Not liking something and thinking it's wrong is quite different than not showing up and doing your job. Historically, he has played on turf despite not liking it.

Blog Entries

I think you are putting your head in the sand and closing your eyes

But he played 2 out of 3 games on turf last year? Not liking something and thinking it's wrong is quite different than not showing up and doing your job. Historically, he has played on turf despite not liking it.
    If I were guessing this was his protest to his buddy Rodgers blowing his Achilles on turf last monday. If Rodgers didn't get hurt I suspect he would have played. I have no direct evidence of this, just human nature, and the fact he was livid and outspoken after Rodgers went down.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    If I were guessing this was his protest to his buddy Rodgers blowing his Achilles on turf last monday. If Rodgers didn't get hurt I suspect he would have played. I have no direct evidence of this, just human nature, and the fact he was livid and outspoken after Rodgers went down.
    That’s my worry. Why not rain/snow/Thur or any other non football injury but increased odds of injury as ‘hold out’.

It's well known that I'm far from Bakhtiari's biggest fan, but there's a whole lot of assuming facts not in evidence going on in here.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    It's well known that I'm far from Bakhtiari's biggest fan, but there's a whole lot of assuming facts not in evidence going on in here.
    Meh, we're all just a bunch of part time keyboard warriors on some random message board. We don't work for legitimate new outlets like TMZ.

I don't think it's a protest or holdout. Bakhtiari isn't a malingerer and by all accounts has bought into being in GB and working hard. Nothing he has said indicates otherwise either. His vendetta vs. turf goes back much earlier than this year, he's just more vocal about it.

I think his knee doesn't react well to playing on turf, and it's also sore. They put him on the inactive list for the ATL for both reasons, and that's probably it.
    Hopefully he can play vs. NO for the home opener.

I wouldn't read too much into it beyond that. Not yet anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    I don't think it's a protest or holdout. Bakhtiari isn't a malingerer and by all accounts has bought into being in GB and working hard. Nothing he has said indicates otherwise either. His vendetta vs. turf goes back much earlier than this year, he's just more vocal about it.

I think his knee doesn't react well to playing on turf, and it's also sore. They put him on the inactive list for the ATL for both reasons, and that's probably it.
    Hopefully he can play vs. NO for the home opener.

I wouldn't read too much into it beyond that. Not yet anyway.
    He's going to be struggling all year to get onto the field. Probably play a game, sit one or two out, play a game. His knee just is never going to allow him to play full-time all-the-time football any more.

I'm going to guess he'll play in the home opener. But after that, he'll likely miss.

So Rasheed Walker and Yosh Nijman better be ready for on-again/off-again playing time. Nijman can make himself some coin if he plays well.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack