Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: DAVID BACKTIARI----MORE DRAMA------IS IT REAL ????

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    I think you are putting your head in the sand and closing your eyes
    Maybe, but is one game enough data to go off of yet? I really don't think so. People are fabricating a pattern that doesn't exist at this point. The reality is we don't know. Once there's a pattern, then we have something to go off one. A single game is not a pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    He's going to be struggling all year to get onto the field. Probably play a game, sit one or two out, play a game. His knee just is never going to allow him to play full-time all-the-time football any more.

I'm going to guess he'll play in the home opener. But after that, he'll likely miss.

So Rasheed Walker and Yosh Nijman better be ready for on-again/off-again playing time. Nijman can make himself some coin if he plays well.
    Agree with this -- he'll continue to struggle to be healthy enough to play, and in the offseason Gute will decide to cut bait on him for the cap space.
    It's not smart to carry $40M (or whatever) on the cap for a LT that can't regularly play, even if he's elite. IIRC they'll eat 20M and gain about as much by releasing him this offseason, and that's what I expect them to do. Put it this way: would you rather keep Bakh or Aaron Jones? You can cut one to keep the other.

As much as I'd like to say "trade him", I don't think anyone would take Bakhtiari - he's damaged goods and might not even pass a physical (thereby voiding the trade). Maybe you get a conditional R7 for him, but... meh. He's been a great player for them, and his injury ruined his career and possibly prevented a SB run in 2020, but I think this is his last year in GB.

So Rasheed Walker and Yosh Nijman better be ready for on-again/off-again playing time. Nijman can make himself some coin if he plays well.
    I'm wondering why they played Walker ahead of Yosh. Yosh did all right last season, and Walker definitely did not.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

https://twitter.com/mattschneidman/s...DBAxN9e0A&s=19

Also, he's not expected to play this weekend at home.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I'm wondering why they played Walker ahead of Yosh. Yosh did all right last season, and Walker definitely did not.
    Because he's younger, cheaper, and plays to the whistle. Also, he's developing nicely to where he's a fringe starter at OT already. I think they know what Njiman is and he's hit his ceiling, whereas Walker is still getting better. This team is all about developing young talent and upside right now.

Njiman is rumored to be a little softspoken and not as nasty, and I think the coaches were hoping to see more fire out of him with competition vs. Tom and others. He's a luxury to have, but with Bakhtiari's knee issues probably worth it. For now.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Because he's younger, cheaper, and plays to the whistle. Also, he's developing nicely to where he's a fringe starter at OT already. I think they know what Njiman is and he's hit his ceiling, whereas Walker is still getting better. This team is all about developing young talent and upside right now.

Njiman is rumored to be a little softspoken and not as nasty, and I think the coaches were hoping to see more fire out of him with competition vs. Tom and others. He's a luxury to have, but with Bakhtiari's knee issues probably worth it. For now.
    That is absolutely a thing. I knew a kid who had all the tools - 6'4" or so, played guard/tackle at 260 in HS and youth city league and dominated. ALL the running plays followed him. Stupid fast, coaches had him run with the RBs in practice because it was silly for him to run with the other linemen.

Got to college, bulked up to 295lb...but never started. First guy off the bench at all 4 OL positions, but never started. Just wasn't damn mean enough, didn't want to cause pain.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Nijman was in and out of the game several times. Walker was not good. Yosh pissed someone off to the point they are playing the lesser talent at this point.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Blog Entries
    One of the reasons for Walkers being subbed out was they were running Walker was lining up as a TE. He had to report in as an eligible receiver. Then he had to leave the field for the next play bc they needed a regular TE in the game. Can't say that he played great, but I'd think he is very close to Nijiman's level. They have to be looking at allowing Yosh to walk in the off season. So there a lot of balls in play in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    One of the reasons for Walkers being subbed out was they were running Walker was lining up as a TE. He had to report in as an eligible receiver. Then he had to leave the field for the next play bc they needed a regular TE in the game. Can't say that he played great, but I'd think he is very close to Nijiman's level. They have to be looking at allowing Yosh to walk in the off season. So there a lot of balls in play in this situation.
    I saw that regarding Walker coming out. Strange situation. They probably have them ranked pretty close, but agree they won't be matching what Nijman will get offered so they are getting Walker snaps. If they thought there was a real gap between the 2 they would have used someone else in that TE eligible role so Walker could stay on the field.

I read the transcript of that interview Bakh did, and found his comments on Guter to be fascinating. Bakh said he's been able to go in, sit down, talk to Gute, vent (about the press, I think) - and then he said Guter was really good, very open, a good listener, that they'd had really good conversations. About 180 degree difference from the way that Rodgers seemed to think about Guter.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Bakhtiari on IR.
    https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...d-cap-contract

According to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport it sounds like rest of season:

Here’s my understanding of where this all stands. Sources say he had a knee scope yesterday. So, that was the first surgery. My understanding is that first surgery was a precursor to the second surgery, which should happen a little down the line here — a little more of a, I would say, substantial surgery, one aimed at fixing the cartilage issue that has plagued him for a little more than a year.

Bakhtiari is 31 years old. He’s coming into the final year of his contract. From what I am told, he does not want to retire. He wants to keep playing. He wants to keep playing for the Packers and these surgeries which will likely take him out the rest of this season, barring some significant development, are likely to put him on the field to start the 2024 football season.

They converted $15M this year to bonus for cap space, that's not looking like a great move. He'll count $41M against the cap next year.

Bakhtiari signed a four-year, $92 million extension in 2020 that has paid him out $71 million of those dollars since just before his initial ACL tear. Since that injury, Bakhtiari has only played in 13 games for Green Bay, recording 679 offensive snaps for the team.

I read the transcript of that interview Bakh did, and found his comments on Guter to be fascinating. Bakh said he's been able to go in, sit down, talk to Gute, vent (about the press, I think) - and then he said Guter was really good, very open, a good listener, that they'd had really good conversations. About 180 degree difference from the way that Rodgers seemed to think about Guter.
    Agreed

I can't imagine offering him any kind of a deal for 2024 short of the league vet minimum (after we cut him of course). He has made a mountain of money to sit. If another team wants to gamble that this is finally the surgery to repair his knee let them.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I can't imagine offering him any kind of a deal for 2024 short of the league vet minimum (after we cut him of course). He has made a mountain of money to sit. If another team wants to gamble that this is finally the surgery to repair his knee let them.
    He's under contract for next year. I doubt they cut him, look at that cap hit. There is no upside to cutting him. Why not hope he bounces back and signs a big contract and you get a #2 compensation pick?

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    He's under contract for next year. I doubt they cut him, look at that cap hit. There is no upside to cutting him. Why not hope he bounces back and signs a big contract and you get a #2 compensation pick?
    This isn't correct. There's $21.5MM in cap savings if he's cut after this year. If cut, they would take a $19.1MM cap hit. If they keep him w/o restructuring, his salary would be an additional $21MM, for a total of over $40MM. That just isn't feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Maybe, but is one game enough data to go off of yet? I really don't think so. People are fabricating a pattern that doesn't exist at this point. The reality is we don't know. Once there's a pattern, then we have something to go off one. A single game is not a pattern.
    Arthroscopic surgery and IR. We can be pretty sure this wasn't drama now.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

It's hard to imagine them bringing him back for forty mill, if they could save half that by cutting him after the season or whenever.

This next offseason: offensive linemen, safeties, and interviewing defensive coordinators to get the right one this time. That's what's needed.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Arthroscopic surgery and IR. We can be pretty sure this wasn't drama now.
    Even if he didn’t want to play on turf with an iffy knee, that’s not drama imo. Bretsky likes to create drama
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by SudsMcBucky View Post
    This isn't correct. There's $21.5MM in cap savings if he's cut after this year. If cut, they would take a $19.1MM cap hit. If they keep him w/o restructuring, his salary would be an additional $21MM, for a total of over $40MM. That just isn't feasible.
    Gotcha. I must have been looking at the wrong year.